It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel may have intercepted Syrian discussions about chemical attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

WASHINGTON -- An elite Israeli intelligence unit intercepted conversations among high ranking Syrian government officials discussing last week’s apparent chemical attack outside Damascus as it unfolded, a German news magazine has reported. Citing an anonymous Israeli ex-intelligence official, Germany’s Focus magazine said Saturday that Israel’s secretive signals intelligence agency, Unit 8200, eavesdropped on a conversation between senior Syrian officials about use of chemical agents. On Friday, Israel’s Channel 2 reported that rockets containing chemical agents were fired by the 155th Brigade of the 4th Armored Division, a division under the command of the Syrian president’s brother, Maher Assad. .

www.chicagotribune.com...

plot thickens, i wonder if this is the so called "proof" the Obama admin has been referring to?

Unit 8200 is the largest unit in the Israel Defense Forces, comprising several thousand soldiers.[2] It is comparable in its function to the United States' National Security Agency but is a Ministry of Defense, rather than civilian, body. It is led by a Brigadier-General whose identity remains classified. Subordinate to Unit 8200 is Unit Hatzav (Hebrew: יחידת חצב‎), responsible for collecting OSINT intelligence. The unit monitors and collects military intelligence-related information from television, radio, newspapers, and the internet. The translation of various items accounts for part of what is termed "basic intelligence," which is collected by the units. According to media reports, the unit provides over half of the overall intelligence information for the Israeli Intelligence Community.[citation needed] The IDF's most important signal intelligence-gathering installation is the Urim SIGINT Base, a part of Unit 8200. Urim is located in the Negev desert approximately 30 km from Beersheba.[3] In March 2004, the Commission to investigate the intelligence network following the War in Iraq recommended turning the unit into a civilian National SIGINT Agency, as is in other Western countries, but this proposal was not implemented.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 28-8-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

If this is the "truth" Obama is citing...

I think the title would more properly be "Israel may have CREATED intercepted Syrian discussions...'

As almost everyone in every other thread on this has said, using chemical weapons would have only downsides for Assad. But for rebels, it would bring in the US.

Which would be more likely to do it then?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Well I'm not big on glamorizing dictators, Not a fan, sorry...

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Amusing that anyone would believe the [SNIP] Jews who are masters of deception...

This thread belongs in the skunk works.

edit on 28-8-2013 by Gemwolf because: Mod Edit: Removed insult

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
ohh please, I wouldn't believe Israel's "evidence" even if they provided video evidence of top Syrian officials discussing it with other officials.

Anything that comes out of that forsaken country should be taken with a grain smaller than salt.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Is this the same story as the story about American intelligence intercepting the phonecall?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

apologies if this is a repost, I entered "israel and "intercepts in the search field. Did you figure it out in that thread?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

No worries, what I mean to say is that it is strange that we have these two stories. One from Israel, one from America.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
What a load of bs! Its funny how a lot of MSM arent asking who did it... They have already found their culprit, without evidence just like the American government.

And of course.... Dont ever count on ever seeing this evidence for yourself. Theyll keep referring to this imaginary evidence until you believe the lie.

War is coming... And its going to be yet another baseless one.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm

No worries, what I mean to say is that it is strange that we have these two stories. One from Israel, one from America.

Same entity same lie... There is no difference between America and Israel.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Funny how the OP's report says specifically that it was Assad's brother, a guy reported to enjoy vengeance and who enjoys being hands on in getting it. The other link does not name any names. It is also interesting that he was hurt about a year ago and has lost his leg and the use of one of his arms. Maybe he felt he needed to get payback.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
With Isarel's history of false reporting through MEMRI or manipulative reporting they have called wolf too many times - sorry not a legitimate source that can be trusted today. Also Obama has shot himself in the foot over Syria with his line, he should never have committed himself in this way. The EU and USA are right about taking anyone to task over chemical weapons because they are a step too far in warfare as the biological or nuclear weapon is.

What we want to know is are the Rebels able to get their hands on chemical weapons, if so from whom. The problem with the Serin(can't spell it) is that it is odourless. However people claim to have smelt a strong chlorine and onion smell which is not Serin or the weapon we have been told it may have been. So who holds what chemical weapons is also to be found out.

I feel terribly sorry for the people who were led into Palestine in 1948 who did not genuinely know it was already a populated land, as many thought it was virtually empty. However these people were not able to negotiate any form of peaceful settlement with the indigenous peoples there and so live today with the consequences of purely their own actions.

A fascinating programme showed young ex soldiers from Israel who had gone to live in Germany. A strange place to go perhaps, but they went because of lack of opportunities in Israel but mostly to get away from the oppressive live there. There is a possibility of a civil war between the secular Jews and the Ultra Orthodox and the best way the Government can keep the two sets of people from fighting is to unite them against an outside threat. As this war is getting closer due to the Ultra Orthodox men who just seem to sit and study, whilst their wives do little jobs and the state supports them, secular Jews who have to do their military service think the Ultra O's should do a dose also - which the Ultra O's do not want to do. This group is staying at home and many have large numbers of children which swells their vote.

I don't honestly know whether Assad's generals launched the chemical weapons or not, what I do know is that if you let the Saudi's force Syria into the ground we will have more pictures of men eating other men's hearts in front of the camera - as though it is something to be admired.

The state of Syria looked nothing like it does today and what will be left for the Syrian people will not be worth their going back for let alone the memories of what they have suffered. Their scenario could one day come to the West and it could well be the same people behind the destruction of Syria that would be scampering through our roads with their ghastly weapons and bloody hands. This is a case where we need to get down to the real truth and as soon as possible.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
Funny how the OP's report says specifically that it was Assad's brother, a guy reported to enjoy vengeance and who enjoys being hands on in getting it. The other link does not name any names. It is also interesting that he was hurt about a year ago and has lost his leg and the use of one of his arms. Maybe he felt he needed to get payback.

Or, maybe the report is just more of the usual fabricated BS that they feed us, and your own assumptions are more of the same!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

What did it for me is the reports that some Hezbollah fighters were treated for
chemical exposure while searching rebel tunnels.
I believe the rebels were using chemical weapons.
Why would the Syrian government poison its own solders ?
Limbo

new topics

top topics

join