It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are Iranian capabilities ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Not trying to be confrontational but how do you know how many flight hours Iranian pilots have? or what they have or have not trained for? they have had yeeears to prepare for a confrontation with Israel

edit on 27-8-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I don't think they have the ability of force projection, let alone occupy another nation. Iran will most likely use hit and run tactics, aka Skirmishes.
I do think they will fare far better for a defense mounted strategy on their own home turf and honestly that the impression I get, we can make fun of you behind this steel wall, so what you gonna do about it? but I'll be damned if I walk out that gate....

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

There is almost no evidence whatsoever that they have trained for a conventional war with Israel. Even if they have, unless they suddenly started flying a LOT more than the evidence shows they have, they don't stand a chance. Iranian planners are smart, and have learned from what has happened to every force to go against Israel. They won't go a conventional route, but will use unconventional and missiles to weaken them before they try to fight them straight up. They know they can't.

The Israeli military trains like the US military, that means they train like hell, as realistically as possible. There is no evidence that anyone else in the ME trains to nearly the same level. There have been big improvements in training, but nothing that would put anyone else even close to the Israeli military yet. Add in that almost all of the Iranian equipment is older, and some of it is a Frankenplane of US and Russian technology, and the whole picture gets uglier for the Iranians against Israel. Again, you can have all the time in the world to train, but if you don't, or you don't have the technology, you don't fight a straight up fight. Iranians are anything but stupid, and they know this.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human

www.abovetopsecret.com... C-130 can easily be converted to air to air variant

There's a world of difference between "could" and "have." Besides, let's just say they did and let's just say they took off and lumbered (because C-130s DO lumber along) over toward Israel. I think they might meet up with a few squadrons of F/A-15s, F/A-16's from the IDF and who knows? Maybe a few F/A-18s added to the mix. We'll have to see where the carriers go this week. The Truman, Nimitz, and Kearsarge are all just a few hours away.

The point is that even if they do have the capability, which is entirely unproven and unlikely, they don't have air superiority, will never have air superiority, and therefore a fat C-130 full of gas is going to face very unfriendly skies and be a very tempting target. Why it's enough to give a jet jockey a wet dream.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I can practically hear the IAF pilots drooling already at the thought of taking on Iranian pilots in their F-5s and F-14s, and hitting their 747s and C-130s in the process. It would be a seriously one sided battle.

(And it's still just F-15 and F-16 in the Israeli service. They use the I designation to denote the attack variants. The F-15I is the E model with their modifications, and the F-16I is the F-16 with conformal fuel tanks, SAR radar, and ground attack capability.)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I agree they are no match for American tech, and probably can't make much of a dent at any significant range, that wasn't my point , Again,how do you know how many flight hours Iranian pilots have? or what they have or have not trained for? where is this evidence you speak of? this is after all about Iranian in incapabilities?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The only way Iran attacks Israel is with missile strikes. They don't have the capabilities or the training to take them on with airstrikes, or ground attacks.

This is 100% correct. Iran would have to try and hit population centers like Iraq did during Desert Storm. Its missles lack accuracy for anythhing more. Its airforce would be completely out classed by GCC air craft. Irans other option is to mine the gullf something everyone is prepared for.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

4000 Iranian troops don't train for ground attacks?
www.haaretz.com...
www.independent.co.uk...
rt.com...
www.allvoices.com...
english.alarabiya.net...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

The evidence isn't exactly thrown around on the net. It's not like they're going to post "Pilot Muhammed Akbar had 42 hours flight time this year." You have to have the right sources, and read between the lines of things that are posted. It would be nice if they were going to post things right out there, but don't you think that would sort of defeat the purpose of intelligence gathering? As of March, Iranian Air Force pilots averaged one sortie a day. Beginning pilots in the US and Israeli air forces average one sortie a day when they're in basic flight training.

The Iranians also don't have advanced command and control systems like the E-2 and E-3 AWACS systems.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

You have to get them there in one piece first. They can train for attack all they want, but if you have to fight your way to the target area, you may not get them there at all.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Agreed
lets hope this is all fiction and we never get a chance to find out

xairforces.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
my god,
if Iran ever took to the air on an attack mission
with their mostly obsolete, partially operating airforce...
it would..i believe..be a turkey shoot..a massacre.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
reply to post by MrSpad

4000 Iranian troops don't train for ground attacks?
www.haaretz.com...
www.independent.co.uk...
rt.com...
www.allvoices.com...
english.alarabiya.net...

4000 more troops with small arms to help prop up Assad will help make up losses for defecting Syrian troops but, not enough to change things one way or the other. If the West ever gets serious about arming and training the rebels then things could get real interesting.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by autopat51

Not entirely confident with your assesment, it could very well be a turkey shoot ,104 mig-29, F-14 ,and su-24 aircraft can definitely ruin somebody's day. staying on topic here, anyone care to join?lol

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

yes..if they are facing the same aircraft,
most likely they will not.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Only if the pilots have the training, and the freedom to use them properly. If they're locked into the old Soviet style of combat, where ground controllers tell them everything up until when to shoot, then it's going to get ugly for them. They have the ability to hurt opposing forces in a limited capability, but in a real dogfight situation, it's going to get ugly for them fast.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Well they have this new advanced double layer system that's truly quite revolutionary for the people of iran. Using advanced scientific methods for the first time ever in iranian history they've actually figured out how to create 2ply toilet paper, and you can now use it in select iranian paid toilets! Now the next innovation they're developing is the flush toilet.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Operation Preying Mantis

en.wikipedia.org...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The only way Iran attacks Israel is with missile strikes. They don't have the capabilities or the training to take them on with airstrikes, or ground attacks.

This is 100% correct. Iran would have to try and hit population centers like Iraq did during Desert Storm. Its missles lack accuracy for anythhing more. Its airforce would be completely out classed by GCC air craft. Irans other option is to mine the gullf something everyone is prepared for.

No that is 100% wrong. People seem to forget Iran has a naval force as well one that can just sit off Israels shore and pound them from a distance. If you look at the numbers Iran can easily take Israel.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Numbers have a way of leading to a false sense of security. Like I've been saying all thread, if you don't have the training, you aren't going to pull it off. And in some cases even if you do, you aren't going to pull it off. Iran would have a hard time getting to Israel either by land, by air, or by sea.
edit on 8/28/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join