It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Through The Eyes Of A Child

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The year was 1984 or 1985 so I would have been around the age of 4 or 5. My mother took me to the mall, as she often did, while she shopped.

One 'store' we passed was utterly terrifying. While other stores were on the main or upper floors of the mall, this store was down below. One escalator leading down into darkness, another parallel to it leading back up to our realm. While other stores were enhanced with bright lights to show of their wares to potential customers, this store could not be seen into from above. It was so dark inside.

But what made it even more unsettling were the guardians at the top. Their faces painted ghostly white, black, and every other color imaginable. Some of their hair was spiky pink. Some brilliant blue. It looked strange- fiber optic even. Clothes of black leather wrapped around their bones. Who were these strange beings that stood watch at the top of the descent?

Evil clowns luring hapless victims into a funhouse of horrors? Demons taking souls to hell? Something else my child's mind couldn't conceive?

I was really scared and wondered if my mother noticed this strange sight with the strange beings. She must have because as we drew closer, she grabbed my arm and pulled me quickly past. I tried my best to look down the escalator. It was just pitch black with random neon glows. On pure accident, my eyes met with the stare from one of the strange beings as I looked over my shoulder as my mother dragged me further away, presumably to safety.

Only once older was I able to explain who these strange people were. I guess it figures, around 1985.

Just teen rockers, hanging outside of a mall hangout.

But it was terrifying to me at the time!

What experiences did you have as a child that scared the crud out of you, but that you now realize was totally innocuous?
edit on 8/27/2013 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

When are we going to go have a drink hottie..?

What experiences did you have as a child that scared the crud out of you, but that you now realize was totally innocuous?

I was in 2nd grade getting ready to walk to school with my friends. One of my daily chores was to let our dog out every morning and then back in. Well, my friend Marc had come in the house and left the door open - yes, I'm old enough to have experienced an UN-locked door era, and some how our dog Tucker made his way outside.

Well, we ran out after him only to find the garbage truck man throwing away our trash AND our dog, as we could hear his distressed cries via uncontrollable barking..!

Marc and I ran inside and straight into the arms of my mom...after hysterically explaining what happened to poor Tucker, she headed to the door, with us in tow, only to have Tucker run past us.

We never saw him off to the side - and why would we as 'a child' sees what they want, or what they don't want in actuality..? To this day I still laugh when I see Waste Management.

Miss you Tucker...

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I guess I was 5 years old.
Across the street from my house was a medium sized church with a nice lot for kids to play football.
One day I ventured across the street to hang out with these older kids and at some point during the day one of the kids said something about a witch. I immediately thought of the green witch from "Wizard of Oz". I said a witch? Where? and the kid pointed at the church and said "In there".

Apparently he was referring to a mean lady that worked at the church and I did not understand the slang.

From that day on I was terrified of getting too close to that church. When the kids would play near the door I would usually just go home.

One day the older kids realized how afraid I was of getting too close to the church. Two of them picked me up and took me inside the side door of the church and pulled the door shut and held it, with them outside and me inside.

The church was dark and empty at the time and all I could see was a dungeon with an evil witch roaming around somewhere eating children.

edit on 8-10-2013 by tanda7 because: thumbs

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Aw thanks for replying, guys! I figured this thread was a dud and didn't see anyone reply until I came to bump it with this thought:

I was making guacamole for lunch and remember as a kid I thought the slime from You Can't Do That On Television was made from it. Love guac now but it looked scary as a kid.

top topics

join