It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truman Show Delusion... Or Is It?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'm sorry you find that to be denigrating, but I can't lie, I did think about it as a child and adolescent and used to think about it frequently, and I'm unsure how you can see it as duplicitous as I still like it as an idea now.

The post was meant as a thought, or an idea which i don't expect people to agree or disagree. It's not something that should be taken personally.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

twfau
I'm sorry you find that to be denigrating, but I can't lie, I did think about it as a child and adolescent and used to think about it frequently, and I'm unsure how you can see it as duplicitous as I still like it as an idea now.

The post was meant as a thought, or an idea which i don't expect people to agree or disagree. It's not something that should be taken personally.

THIS, is how and why, I think what I do about your post:

This is what you wrote:

I do wonder if some delusions/psychoses may come about due to these psychological techniques being appied, people delving back to thoughts and day-dreams from when they were children as a distraction from emotional trauma. If doing so has a positive effect it may be frequently utilised, and over time the thoughts become more lucid. It may even develop into brief dissociated states of 'acting out' the day-dreams (psychoses).

So, I DO WONDER, if you are calling the rest of us who experience this as adults, as suffering a psychotic break, while your judgement as to that, frees you, as you only experienced it as a child.

This is why I've singled this post out, and called it duplicitous: for you are seeming to be in sympathy, while still denying it and labelling it as "psychosis."

This is what I define as duplicitous. Sorry.
Tetra50
I calls it as I sees it. Frequently, this is not popular, but I care not for popularity. It's fairly simple, my estimation, rendered in that way.
Thanks.
I'm an adult and not psychotic, though this isn't personal. Just speaking to the very large group you've labelled with your post as "psychotic" for their revelations, within, at the age of adulthood.
??

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I have never seen The Truman Show, but I am familiar with the movie. I have two movies I like that have themes that are fairly close; Metropia and Branded.

If you decide to watch either, be prepared, you may need the protection of your tin foil hat.

With that I will leave you with "42". What else can we expect since all of Earth was designed by Deep Thought.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

NightSkyeB4Dawn

I have never seen The Truman Show, but I am familiar with the movie. I have two movies I like that have themes that are fairly close; Metropia and Branded.

If you decide to watch either, be prepared, you may need the protection of your tin foil hat.

With that I will leave you with "42". What else can we expect since all of Earth was designed by Deep Thought.

Deepthought.newsvine....

Hmmmm....yes....when watching ANYTHIHG NOW, you should be prepared for what that may put "above you," via technology.. Guess I have to be the one that calls it like it is, to whomever doesn't know.... Or did everyone know prior to me waking up? LOL

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I'll try to clarify, my original post was a general point about the development of delusions and psychoses. As I work with individuals who experience quite aggressive psychotic episodes, it is an interest of mine. Also, as the thread details "The Truman Show Delusion", I felt it was relevant as this belief has been labeled as a delusion in the link in the thread. I have never stated my current opinion on the belief, and I certainly never said all people who believe it are having a psychotic break.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

twfau
I'll try to clarify, my original post was a general point about the development of delusions and psychoses. As I work with individuals who experience quite aggressive psychotic episodes, it is an interest of mine. Also, as the thread details "The Truman Show Delusion", I felt it was relevant as this belief has been labeled as a delusion in the link in the thread. I have never stated my current opinion on the belief, and I certainly never said all people who believe it are having a psychotic break.

Okay, you simply "alluded" to your opinion, by your posts and explanations.

How 'bout getting off the fence and actually giving an opinion, you stand by?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well my thoughts had similarities with the film 'Being John Malkovitch' as well as the 'Truman Show', ie. somewhere there is a TV, or cinema showing my life through a camera in my eye, and people would come and go to see what had happened during the day.

I can imagine a lot of people laughing at that, but for some reason it was an idea that stuck with me. I do wonder if that sort of technology is possible.

edit on 11-9-2013 by twfau because: added 'is'

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
What a great movie and thought provoking idea. I think it's safe to say that we are being watched but more along the lines of Orwellian type society. On another note the town of Seaside where the movie was filmed is absolutely beautiful, If I had to pick a town to be trapped in that one wouldn't be to bad

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Ahhh, Being John Makovich.....this is SO what itis about, really... however, we never confront it. There is a thread here about Disney and using your body as a speaker. IMHO, these two threads, are now coaliescing, right here. just wiht the mention of this movie.

Or perhaps I am in a psychotic stare? Sorry, couldn't help it....
Tetra

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
This made me think of Dr. Quantum.

The power of observation can change the behavior of matter I'm sure. How that could fit into every persons needs and ambitions makes my head hurt. I think it would have to happen to allow emotions to work. If we were not aware of our fellow beings then emotions would turn into chaos.

anyway. trippy video to say the least.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 11-9-2013 by MALBOSIA because: cant figure out how to embed video

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Instead of a "Big Brother is always watching" type of situation or the "Truman Show" with actors/director/cameras always watching...hmmmm

The first thing I thought of when I read the OP's first question, "Do you ever feel like you're being watched?" was that maybe we really are living in a simulation and are only now experiencing "self awareness".
Something to think about anyhow!

I've always had this feeling of being watched - for as long as I can remember anyhow, but I never tried to think too deeply about WHO or WHAT was doing the watching!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

KittyGalore
The first thing I thought of when I read the OP's first question, "Do you ever feel like you're being watched?" was that maybe we really are living in a simulation and are only now experiencing "self awareness".
Something to think about anyhow!

I've always had this feeling of being watched - for as long as I can remember anyhow, but I never tried to think too deeply about WHO or WHAT was doing the watching!

Interesting idea
Something i've considered before during bouts of err... 'extreme meditation(?)' and it feels like i'm in a video game and i'm completely my higher self observing and in full control of my 'avatar' self interacting with the holographic universe / simulated reality. And as you say, perhaps our heading closer towards such a state of being is causing a flux in the 'truman delusion' experiences. So maybe it is the panic state of the ego-self externalising the sensation of being observed by the higher self, resulting in paranoid delusions as a means to protect itself.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

So I ask.... Could we really just chalk this up to people being nuts? Is there a real reason to question our reality?

If you arent questioning your reality every moment you make a choice, maybe you need to start too.

I suffer from this syndrome, however, its not a delusion but reality from one perspective but luckily with so many spit personalities I can change my perception at will because I befriended all the personalities fighting for the spot light in my head and now can work together to have a better and more complete understanding of what happens in my sphere of influence which is the whole globe. Bwahahaha the devil laughs

what an ego I possess, or is that one my accompanying personalities ego steering this post

I live in delusion that I call reality,

come join the fun.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join