It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

somebody tell me that horses are friendly and/or affectionate.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I'm not one that has a lot of exposure/interaction with horses. Sure, I've been on a couple of horse path rides, 20 minutes at a time... but that's about it.

According to the impression I've gotten, I concluded, basically in the back of my mind, that horses are kind of like big dogs... very friendly and affectionate... After rethinking this, nowdays, I'm not so sure.

I'm thinking that the media would have us to believe that such a thing is true... It seems to serve them better if we believe this... A couple of examples:

The beginning of this video:

But someone who is more familiar with real horses can possibly enlighten me? I know that they are noble, and somewhat intelligent... But are horses really affectionate, like say, dogs are?
-----------------
Mods: Standard disclaimer applies... If you know of any better forum to put this in, please do so... thnks.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
They can be.

They can also be downright evil.

Horses are probably the most "people" like animal I've ever been around, socially speaking. They have friends, enemies, they can be moody, nice, horny, depressed, joyous, etc. etc....they even gossip!

How they're treated, especially growing up, has a lot to do with their overall temperament, and chances are the guest-friendly, trail-friendly ones are all ready known to be of a calm, steady temperament which is probably a big reason for them being given that job as well as the impression you have of them.

Like us though, they are all different. They all have their own histories and experiences which flavor who they are.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

I've known quite a few people that have had horses, and have all agreed that they were like big dogs. But as was said, training, how they were saddle broken, and how they're treated are huge factors in their temperament. If you have a male horse that hasn't been made a gelding, and there are females in season around him, then I suggest you get out of his way, because he's going to do his damndest to get to them. And he's going to try to fight any other horse around him that he sees as a rival.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I have horses. They are not anything close to dogs. Dogs are mans best friend in the best sense. Horses can be friendly and even do some tricks, but there just is no comparing them to dogs.

Not one of my 6 horses over the years is consistent in its behavior to me. I'd compare them more to a cat. When they're in the mood they will come to you, or if you've got an apple, they may seem downright intelligent and loving.

My friends horses are all the same as mine. I don't over romanticize the horse. It is beautiful, can be quite graceful, but I feel that way about cows too. They are pretty similar in brains.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

I've met a few on trail rides that were just downright mean. One that I was on, as we got closer to the barn, he decided he wanted to take the more direct route, and tried to brush me off by going under a nice thick tree branch that was about chest high.

Everyone I've known that has had them has likened them to more intelligent dogs, although some of them I've seen I can easily see more cat in them. You can just hear their brains clicking as they looked at a problem. And when you call them, they look at you like "I know you aren't talking to me."

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I've been bitten by a horse so I know that they are not always friendly and affectionate.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
"Horses. Dangerous at both ends and crafty in the middle."

-Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments so far....

What is the typical reaction of the horse? If it's affectionate, how does it show it's affection when an owner of a horse approaches it? It doesn't wag it's tail, I'm pretty sure of that....

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

From what little I've seen, and heard, the ears are a pretty good clue. If they're forward, and the horse seems pretty attentive, then that's a good sign. If they're back, or flat on its head, then that's probably a sign that it's pissed off.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I"ve never been fond of horses. They smell bad. They are big and dangerous. And when riding them I'm always afraid that their little spindly legs are going to snap or something because they are small legs with a huge body and a person stuck on top. I've never liked riding them ... or smelling them ... or being around them ....

I probably got kicked off one and died from being kicked off in a past life or something ....

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

Every horse like people have their own personality, they can be playful, awkard, friendly, unfriendly, vicious, even violent, but just like people others can be so nice and calm, even mannerly, the horses that do trekking similar to the one's you have ridden, are normally what is referred to as "bomb proof" so in other words a dog running around loose or traffic does not disturb them, they are pretty solid and reliable... I am not sure if affection is so easy for them to show, it's not like they can stand on their hind legs and give ya a hug. (thankfully) but anyway, horses are very much individual, like people I guess...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
"Horses. Dangerous at both ends and crafty in the middle."

-Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows

Yeah. they Can be That.

My experience after numerous years or breeding, raising, foaling, etc... is that they are as varied as we humans are with respect to 'individual personalities'.

From incredibly bright/brilliant to dumber than a box of rocks.

Typically and truly a bit more 'personality' than that of a dog, imho ... but these were more well-bred 'race horse' types.... where there IS a difference as opposed to some 'trail pony' - more fiery bloodlines, if you will.

've met many an affectionate, almost personable steed, and just as many that'd like to nip and tuck, then run for cover at a moment's notice.
edit on 8/26/2013 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Horses are individuals- they really vary from to another. They seem to be born with certain dispositions, and then nurture (experience) forms the rest. Like dogs, some can be very affectionate, some very dangerous.

They are social animals, like dogs, and have a strong sense of hierarchy, and are highly reactive to very subtle stimuli.

They have a complex structure of communication, mostly made up of body language that seems to me to be more subtle, less obvious, then that of dogs.

This is where I think horsemanship became a symbol of nobility and power long ago- because to be a good horseman/woman, one must be very sensitive in order to communicate effectively with these animals.

Sensitivity is the basis of "class" - in roles of responsibility and power, sensitivity is required to be an effective diplomat and negotiator. Being able to sense unspoken motives, feelings, desires and fears, as well as differing cultural practices and taboos, is necessary for those who need to make important negotiation with others from different lands.
(The Princess and the Pea refers to this quality)

This is partly why horsemanship was considered a necessary training for nobles from a young age... to develop their sensitivity skills and mastery of their most subtle emotional flows and body.

Horses pick up messages from where your eyes focus, from the way you turn your shoulder, from the point you position yourself on the ground in relation to them, as well as heart rate and blood pressure, and many other things we usually are not even aware of.

It is said that you cannot lie to a horse, and as a horse owner, I would agree.
All this is true of dogs, but because often, because of their size, we are not forced to work deeply on this relationship- if your dog considers you a submissive, then you'll have problems with him getting on your bed or jumping on you. That can be lived with, or you can chain the dog up outside and not think further about it.

Your horse considers you his submissive he could jump on you once, and you'll be a paraplegic.
Your dog, if abused, might bite you- your horse would give you a kick that would knock a big hole in your skull.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Closer to a big dumb dog. Yes I've had many and now that I don't I don't miss any one of them except one that the ex sold without my permission that turned out to be quite valueable

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I hope my post didn't make you feel insulted or anything.

I find horses scary. And I don't understand how they can carry people without snapping their legs.
They are just so odd to me.

I didn't know you raised horses. Sounds like you enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
juft FWIW and all that...

one thing I've always found quite amazing .... one of the most sturdy, noble and formidable of 'beasts of burden'. yet they're as fragile as their digestive system or their hooves.

So strong and capable of so much, but even the slightest 'indigestion' and they can be toast by morning without proper medical attention.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I didn't know you raised horses. Sounds like you enjoy it.

having grown up around them, and later working in the Standardbred Racing Farm industry they're like big, gentle giants, IMHO.

no worries.... and they don't 'stink' when properly bathed, groomed and what not .... there's almost something 'baby-like' about their 'smell' then.

Yes. I do love me some horses.

regal, majestic, beautiful creatures. They are.

guess it all stems from too many nights in the foaling barn.... pulling babies outta mommas and the like. helping them to their first feeding, standing, etc.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Horses are nothing like anything else but what they are...horses.

They are tough, stately, big, helpful and dangerous.

They were made to work.
They were not made to be cuddly pets.

I had a beautiful buckskin when I was a young girl.
My dad sold it when my brother rode it and a dog spooked the horse and brother fell off saddle and foot caught in stirup and ran around with my brothers head bouncing on the ground.

I prefer mules as work animals.

If you want a friend get a dog. not a horse,

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
These are things I always wondered about, in the back of my mind....

Interesting discussion so far....

A couple of other questions about horses, if you are so inclined:

1. Are horses loyal?

2. I see this a lot... Why do girls love horses, do you think?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkJS

A couple of other questions about horses, if you are so inclined:

1. Are horses loyal?

2. I see this a lot... Why do girls love horses, do you think?

If the first question regards 'can/do they bond'. most certainly, imho.

as for the sceond... i guess it may be due to all the camaraderie depicted in many western-type movies and such. where the horse comes back to pull a wounded individual to safety and the like. (?)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join