It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists confirm: Ancient Egyptians wore jewelry made of materials from outer space

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Scientists confirm: Ancient Egyptians wore jewelry made of materials from outer space

www.naturalnews.com

The University College London (UCL) Petrie Museum in London is home to ancient Egyptian iron beads that were once thought to be hammered out of traditional iron ore. Researchers from UCL have dispelled this notion, revealing that the earliest jewelry artifacts were actually made from materials from outer space.

UCL Archaeologist and Professor Thilo Rehren is uncovering fascinating new evidence on the ancient Egyptian beads.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ucl.ac.uk
phys.org
articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com
www.foxnews.com

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Not quite sure what to take away from this article. On one hand, we can almost envision the ancient Egyptians running around with copper chisels and picks mining meteoric iron. However, to me this would put forth aspects of the Egyptian lifestyle that we are not aware of. We kinda see AE's 5000 years ago as being these dumb savage brutes, compared to today's civilized society, when in actuality they were very intellectually sophisticated people to make jewelry from ore found in a meteorite.

Or some could take this as the "Ancient Aliens" from outer space, made the artifacts, and then brought them to Egypt when they crowned their Pharaoh's.

Either way it's a pretty interesting article which is sourced outside of Naturalnews, for those of you who want to throw a hissy fit, which incidentally they typically use sources for their material.

#justsaying

www.naturalnews.com

+28 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I so loathe the "ancient aliens" BS.

These people seem to think that ancient humans were completely retarded (in the literal sense of the word) and couldn't wipe their own behinds without help from some outer space cthulhu.

1) it's not that hard to cut limestone. It's a pretty soft stone after all.

2) it's not that hard to stack blocks one on top of another.

3) Yep, I completely buy that they would find an iron meteorite, heat it up crack it up, then make jewelry out of it. Wouldn't take a huge leap of thought to do that.

Humans are pretty smart, we have come up with some ingenious things throughout our time on this planet. There's no need for outer space people to come down and show us everything step by step.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Maybe they sought out space treasures because it was thought to come from the gods?

King tut had a glass necklace charm that is believed to have been formed from a meteor impact.. See here.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

LiveScience

Unlike softer and more pliable metals like gold and copper, working with solid iron required the invention of blacksmithing, which involves repeatedly heating metals to red-hot temperatures and hammering them into shape. "It's a much more elaborate operation and one that we assumed was only invented and developed in the Iron Age, which started maybe 3,000 years ago — not 5,000 years ago," Rehren said.

The researchers suggest the iron meteorites were heated and hammered into thin sheets, and then woven around wooden sticks to create 0.8-inch-long (2 centimeters), tube-shaped beads. Other stones found in the same tomb displayed more traditional stone-working techniques, such as carving and drilling. "This shows that these people, at this early age, were capable of blacksmithing," Rehren said. "It shows a pretty advanced skill with this difficult material. It might not have been on large scales, but by the time of the Iron Age, they had about 2,000 years of experience working with meteoritic iron."

Using meteorites for jewellery happens even today so there is nothing spectacular in it. Tho the question is more like when blacksmithing skills actually started.

+52 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Really? Not that hard to stack hundreds of blocks that weigh tons in perfect symmetry, with no machinery and not to mention the logistics involved.. yeah right!!! Obviously have no idea!

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

Not quite sure what to take away from this article. On one hand, we can almost envision the ancient Egyptians running around with copper chisels and picks mining meteoric iron. However, to me this would put forth aspects of the Egyptian lifestyle that we are not aware of. We kinda see AE's 5000 years ago as being these dumb savage brutes, compared to today's civilized society, when in actuality they were very intellectually sophisticated people to make jewelry from ore found in a meteorite.

www.naturalnews.com

I tend to gloss over Natural News articles if even look at them at all. Sometimes when they list the actual sources they aren't too bad.

In any case, your little thing here: "We kinda see AE's 5000 years ago as being these dumb savage brutes, compared to today's civilized society, when in actuality they were very intellectually sophisticated people to make jewelry from ore found in a meteorite."

I see people back in ancient Egyptian times really no different than today in the here and now. The only difference is the technology surrounding everyone. Hygiene and comforts are different of course.. but if you want the most accurate comparison you have to look at the richest back then.

Heated baths, running water, entertainment at the snap of the finger... all these things, the richest in the past had at beckon call. They had nearly everything we do besides fast travel and instant communication. But really it is much closer than we'd like to believe.

The problem is that people want to believe we have advanced so much, that we are civilized, that we have evolved... but all we've done is got some shiny objects to make ourselves feel more special than we used to.

Politics, love, friendships, fighting, etc, etc. All remain the same.

As far as the article itself, the physorg original is much less out of this world:

Carefully hammered into thin sheets before being rolled into tubes, the nine beads – which are over 5000 years-old - were originally strung into a necklace together with other exotic minerals such as gold and gemstones, revealing the high value of this exotic material in ancient times. The study is published in the Journal of Archaeological Science.
Professor Thilo Rehren (UCL Archaeology, Qatar), lead author of the paper, said: "The shape of the beads was obtained by smithing and rolling, most likely involving multiple cycles of hammering, and not by the traditional stone-working techniques such as carving or drilling which were used for the other beads found in the same tomb."

Read more at: phys.org...

edit on 23-8-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Really? Not that hard to stack hundreds of blocks that weigh tons in perfect symmetry, with no machinery and not to mention the logistics involved.. yeah right!!! Obviously have no idea!

It's really not. All it takes is planning. What, do you think that the builders of the pyramids lacked any and all ability to plan anything?

It's not like these people had a whole lot to do. With agriculture and domesticating animals for food out of the way, shelters being done. What else is there to do in ancient egypt? You can sit around, or you can go to work doing something.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Very good post.
Ancient Egyptians who built the great pyramid were definitely technologically advanced.
Most people have no idea how difficult it is to build such a large structure with stones with a high precision and finish.

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I get that its possible.. but easy... No.. we would have trouble doing it today without modern technology.. its pretty ignorant to assume these great structures are nothing special and easy to produce..

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

1) it's not that hard to cut limestone. It's a pretty soft stone after all.

How about granite?

2) it's not that hard to stack blocks one on top of another.

How about 1100 tones block ?

3) Yep, I completely buy that they would find an iron meteorite, heat it up crack it up, then make jewelry out of it. Wouldn't take a huge leap of thought to do that.

Tell me...how come we today don't make a busyness out of that...wow...space gold jewlery...that would sell like wildfire. You honestly believe they had a steady income of space gold from meteorites...to begin making jewlery out of it ?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I didn't say it was easy, I just said it wasn't that hard. "Ancient Aliens" people think that it would have been impossible for ancient peoples to do anything other than make small huts made out of their own feces.

Sure, it would take a lot of work. And that work would be difficult, but not impossible.

But it's absolutely doable. We don't need an ET to get that job done.

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   

But it's absolutely doable.

But it's not....doable.

Go ask a master stone cutter...with all the today's tech...to reproduce one of the more complex blocks from Puma Punku...

Pure Granite, that can only be cut with diamond tips...and such outstanding precision...

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Pure Granite, that can only be cut with diamond tips...and such outstanding precision...

Correction, it can only be cut FAST with diamond tips, the precision comes with time. All things are possible with enough time.

And that's a commodity that ancient people had, time. Lots of it.

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Your just backtracking now.. only attackiing people for their beliefs with no real argument or valid point that backs up your beliefs.. typical of an armchair know it all sceptic.. we deny ignorance around here my friend..

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

you do realize they had copper chisels back then...as the only tool...at least only one we found evidence of. Try taking your time to cut a granite stone with a copper chisel...and good luck.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
First things first, Natural News has been the source of some unqualified twadle in the past, and while this story seems more plausible than most that come out of that publication, its worth bearing in mind when reading material from that site.

Also, just so we can shut this crap up really fast before all the nutters show up, meteorite fragments is what we are talking about here, not trinkets constructed from the spaceships of landing aliens/godraces.

Right, now that we have gotten the de-sensationalisation of the title out of the way, this is pretty interesting, although it wouldnt be the first time I have heard of symbolic objects being carved or created from meteor stuff. There was a statue of some buddhist chap, carved out of axatite, a fact only discovered many decades after the Nazis bought the item to Europe. That piece was thought to have been carved at some point between the eighth and tenth century.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I wanted to say kinda the same thing...You couldn't get enough people around blocks of those size to lift them up into place...The number of people it would take....you couldn't even get their hands on it!

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

This guy worked out a way to move stones. He didn't do the mason work though.

www.youtube.com...

On topic, I could see why a meteorite rock that would look different would be made into jewellery, or aliens brought them to earth, who knows.
edit on 23-8-2013 by ZeussusZ because: youtube link

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The problem is that people want to believe we have advanced so much, that we are civilized, that we have evolved... but all we've done is got some shiny objects to make ourselves feel more special than we used to.

I starred you for this, because I feel exactly the same. We just have new toys that make us feel superior, not that we actually are. I understand this perfectly.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join