It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul leading all GOP candidates for President in recent poll.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The results of the poll, which was given to residents of the state of Louisiana, can be found here.

The media promoted this poll because of the Bush/Obama/Katrina question, which is a bit interesting but for me, the important take away is that when Rand is actually included in these polls, he does quite well.

Many claim that hes just a typical establishment Republican, which isnt true.

He stood up against drone strikes in the US, tried to stop the NDAA, also opposed SOPA.

He has, however, agreed with some main line GOP ideals but IMHO, its more of a balancing act. He knows that if he opposes the GOP on everything, he will be marginalized and attacked as was his father.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I do enjoy the accountability Rand places on his fellow senators in congress on the decisions they make. However, there are some criticisms that will make it hard for him to win the popular vote.

Specifically his comments pertaining to the poor. Additionally, his stance on drones could hurt him as well. Though, I think drones are a inevitability, so I think some will give that a pass.

In any case, I think people will primarily be concerned with electing an official who wont continue to degrade essential rights and freedoms.

Hilary vs. Rand?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Originally posted by MDDoxs

In any case, I think people will primarily be concerned with electing an official who wont continue to degrade essential rights and freedoms.

Well, the people might be ok with it but TPTB will be opposed.

But your sarcasm has been noted.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
He's got a voting record and statement record his father would shriek in horror from and people like me will insure is known FAR and WIDE across every form of media that can be accessed to spread it.

He COULD show real character and start fighting more than he supports, like his Father did. His dad accepted he'd make enemies and very serious ones to hold his ground and stand on principle. It's what I respected most about Ron. Rand? He's another politician from what I see so far. 'Go along to get along' with a bit more rocking of the boat than average? but.

He's riding the name far more than earning that in all new ways, IMO.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I'm okay with that this far out from 2016. If the establishment GOP can't stand the guy then that makes me wanna double down on him.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

He's a Libertarian. His main ideal base is liberty and a republican form of government that protects individual state's rights/Federalism.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

If Rand Paul was a Libertarian he would have endorsed his father, Ron Paul, in the last election and not Romney.
A libertarian does not sell out! That is completely against the thinking of a libertarian!

Rand Paul is just another narcissisistic politian, you watch. You can like some of the things he says, but he's ultimately do whatever the XXXX he wants, he's proven that clearly.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

While I like this thinking as a Libertarian myself. It is completely untrue and basically just political point scoring for your team. Libertarians are just as likely as any other politician of selling out. Never underestimate the power of money in large quantities.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Yes, but once you sell out, you are no longer what I think of as a libertarian.

So, Rand Paul is not a libertarian. His father never sold out. He stayed true to his beliefs. He was destroyed for them because if the press, via it's owners, ever let his thinking take hold, our banking and financial industry would have been ruined. Not to mention, everything connected.
The Ron Paul-Kook-meme was a perfect study in controlled demolition.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Seeing as how both of them self-identify as Republicans, neither are Libertarian. And before anyone says anything I am well aware of Ron Paul starting modern Libertarian beliefs, he still doesn't call himself Libertarian.

I voted for Gary Johnson myself.
edit on 22-8-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Disregard my previous comments…..I stand corrected!

Let's back up to the 2012 Defense Authorization bill (passed in Dec. 2011) when the same civil liberties issues were raised. Rand Paul voted NO on the final Conference Committee bill along with 14 other senators in an 86-13-1 vote.

Fast forward a year later to December 2012 and the vote on the 2013 Defense Authorization Act. In an 81-14-4 vote that easily passed, Rand Paul voted NO.

In the 2011 and 2012 final votes on the Defense Authorization bill, Rand Paul voted NO, as documented above with the official roll call votes.

Yet, there is a firestorm brewing that falsely alleges that Rand Paul voted YES on NDAA. It's simply NOT true. However, what is TRUE is that Rand Paul voted YES on the 2013 Defense Authorization bill (senate version) on 12/4/12 because it contained an amendment restricting NDAA indefinite detention but that amendment was kicked out of the final bill in Conference Committee.

Still, the Rand Paul haters are circulating the 98-0-2 roll call vote as proof that Rand Paul voted YES on NDAA. That roll call vote is HERE. Rand Paul NEVER voted for NDAA.
LINK
edit on 22-8-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

We all know that he changed to republican in title only. No third party has won a presidential election in over 100 years. I voted Johnson too, am registered republican and voted Obama in the final(the first time around), RP in both primaries. go figure!

Just trying to vote in change. Had hoped it would resemble what RP believes, but that power elite controls it all anyway, so our conversation is really just a lesson in debate.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Rand Paul voted for NDAA.

Wow , is this true? he just lost at least one milion votes

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Why disregard?
I gave ya a star for your erased contribution, and you know I don't always see eye to eye with you

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000

Originally posted by seabag

Rand Paul voted for NDAA.

Wow , is this true? he just lost at least one milion votes

I revised my post....

I guess I fell for that "Paul voted for NDAA" trap somewhere along the way.

I linked the roll call vote.

He voted NEY here.
edit on 22-8-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by seabag

Why disregard?
I gave ya a star for your erased contribution, and you know I don't always see eye to eye with you

Sorry.....I was wrong.

Check the links in my revision.

I'll give you your star back.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The fact of the matter is Rand Paul did vote for the NDAA in previous times, yes they had proposede amendments for no american unlimited detention, but those were proposed amendments that could have not passed, thereby making Rand Pauls yes vote backing indefinite detention.

He took a chance with his previous votes with a "yea".
Just be wary, all.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by seabag

The fact of the matter is Rand Paul did vote for the NDAA in previous times, yes they had proposede amendments for no american unlimited detention, but those were proposed amendments that could have not passed, thereby making Rand Pauls yes vote backing indefinite detention.

He took a chance with his previous votes with a "yea".
Just be wary, all.

I agree....that's why there is confusion.

I certainly don't trust the guy. I would sooner vote for Ron then Rand.

I might get flamed for this and it may turn out to be a stupid idea but as of RIGHT NOW I'm pulling for Ted Cruz. I wish there was an older, more experienced conservative with real experience and real leadership but there just isn't. If I had to pick a front runner right now.....Ted!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The guy wanting to renounce his Canadian citizenship?

I have not really heard much in the way of his policies. He certainly doesn't necessarily seem to be a news attracting politician beyond this citizenship thing, which could be a good thing. Is it a indication is is relatively level headed?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I'm okay with that this far out from 2016. If the establishment GOP can't stand the guy then that makes me wanna double down on him.

That's always been my thought but why have many conservatives made an effort to purge Rand Paul, too?? There has got to be something behind this.

If nothing else this OP has made me more interested in REALLY digging into this guy and anyone else throwing their hat into the race. I'm scared what I might find. Too bad the MSM won't turn it's microscope on Hillary the way it certainly will do to whoever runs in the Repubs primary.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join