It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A mouse. A laser beam. A manipulated memory.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
This is what fear could look like..

Well, a fear memory in any case.

We most recently have seen updates with regards to the research by boymonkey74 with his thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

False memories have been implanted into mice, scientists say.

A team was able to make the mice wrongly associate a benign environment with a previous unpleasant experience from different surroundings.

The researchers conditioned a network of neurons to respond to light, making the mice recall the unpleasant environment.

Reporting in Science, they say it could one day shed light into how false memories occur in humans.

The brains of genetically engineered mice were implanted with optic fibres in order to deliver pulses of light to their brain. Known as optogenetics, this technique is able to make individual neurons respond to light.

Here are the researchers referenced by the BBC article in that thread, Steve Ramirez and Xu Liu from MIT on TED talks

"Steve Ramirez and Xu Liu: A mouse. A laser beam. A manipulated memory."

"We are trying to shoot laser's into the brain.." I loved that line.

The video explains how through a integrated set of connections to a mouse's brain, using laser energy, these two researchers were able to effectively stimulate fear memories from a preconditioned scenario. Furthermore, they theorize that with this technology, and it has already been somewhat tested, they will be able to convert memories into producing inherently different responses. eg. Fear memories into pleasurable memories.

Manipulate, erase and stimulate memories. Quite a scary prospect. Grant it, in this case a integrated optic connections were required to introduce the laser energy to trigger and mold memory cells, but how long until we see turned into a portable design.

Erasing memories was scary enough, but the converting of memories I found the most fascinating and downright scary. Being a member of ATS, I am naturally predisposed to think of all the malicious applications this technology could be used for.

The thought that came to mind was "ignorance is bliss" and how easily that could become a reality with this technology... of our own volition or not.

edit on 22-8-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
*A beam of laser light appears from a distance and strikes Biigs head*

THIS TECHNOLOGY IS GREAT, IT WILL NEVER BE USED AGAINST OUR WILL BY THE POWERS THAT BE. THANK YOU FOR LISTENING. KIND REGARDS, SUBJECTS NAME.

But seriously, this is interesting, im wondering how long till Disney gets hold of this fear tech and uses it in its latest and greatest amusement park rides.

I wonder then if it could be used to associate bad situation from memory and turn them into good ones, for over coming traumatic events and such.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
A mouse. A laser beam. A manipulated memory and a wardrobe. sorry couldn't help myself. still shooting lasers into the brain. marketing that would take an epic feat of capitalism. i don't even think disney could do it but here we are.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I wonder then if it could be used to associate bad situation from memory and turn them into good ones, for over coming traumatic events and such.

I think that is an interesting point. But would you really want to? (pending person preference of course) As our life experiences both good and bad define who we are. We would effectively be removing a part of ourselves and our personality at that point.

My concern is that this tech could be used to turn peoples frustrations and anger into contentment. eg. People being critical of the government would no longer be an issue..

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockoperawriter
A mouse. A laser beam. A manipulated memory and a wardrobe. sorry couldn't help myself. still shooting lasers into the brain. marketing that would take an epic feat of capitalism. i don't even think disney could do it but here we are.

I don't see any legitimate commercial use. I specifically added "legitimate" .

I think this tech would cater to the medical industry.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Why do they always have to do testing on mice.....That worries me, being a mouse and all. Someday I may be used as a test mouse.
Looking at the food chemistry, I think we are all being used as test mice.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I thank you and all your mice relatives for your work in the scientific fields
You could be hooked up to a similar experiment now without knowing it

I think the fact mice have been used for so long and have been so well documented in their responses have made them ideal subjects for testing purposes.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Horrible manipulative idea of creating a false reality.

I have had trauma in my life and awful as it was, id rather have the faint memory. Because that's what makes me , me. But I think that they will use this against many people in a destructive way.

They have no business being in anothers " mind" altering their reality to their desire. And they are playing God.

Enter the matrix.. a dream within a dream.

They could create assasins for example who have no recollection of their crimes.
edit on 22-8-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered

Exactly what my thought was

I am guessing this technology could be applied to people with uncontrollable phobias. People who cannot function because of their fears could in theory get some degree of peace.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I think that is an interesting point. But would you really want to? (pending person preference of course) As our life experiences both good and bad define who we are. We would effectively be removing a part of ourselves and our personality at that point.

My concern is that this tech could be used to turn peoples frustrations and anger into contentment. eg. People being critical of the government would no longer be an issue..

You raise a good point, but i would hope that its not so liberally used, like something out of the popular brain jerking deep film "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind".

I was thinking more along the lines of traumatic experiences caused by phobias. You could treat the fear of lets say spiders, with the same emotional response a butterfly gets from the same patient.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Well phobias happen for a reason to alert us to something, maybe to get rid of them isn't neccessary .

I have a few phobias and I quite like them actually, what do I mean by this? Well I realise they are part of my subconscious that is trying to tell me " something" about my spiritual journey now. My phobias change as I develop.

What I am saying is when they start getting rid of all negativity, really they aren't allowing the " human" process of dissecting necessary information about their inner/outer world.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think honestly this will be used to control minds. Put into minds what they want to... when they want to.

Like zombies and slaves we will be lasered and completely at the whims of the laser owners desires.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I was thinking more along the lines of traumatic experiences caused by phobias. You could treat the fear of lets say spiders, with the same emotional response a butterfly gets from the same patient.

We think alike
i mentioned some exactly along those lines a few posts up.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered

Well phobias happen for a reason to alert us to something, maybe to get rid of them isn't neccessary

Thanks for the reply!

I don't mean all phobias. I am last, if at all, to generalize any medical condition. I was referring to the debilitating phobias, where someones health, perhaps their very lives are at risk for a phobia. For example, some people are so afraid of x,y,z they literally give them selves heart attacks or strokes. Or, some phobias prevent people from living a healthy life.

This is just an opinion and would only apply if you need help. If you are happy and content, then I dont think anyone should have to do anything to change

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Interesting, I called up MIT, Berkeley, and Harvard labs asking about such things a year ago, about a month before Obama announced his plan to invest more into brain research.

Basically, the point of convergence has more energy than either source of energy; this could be used to trip specific gap junctions/regions of the brain.

It would require two different sources of energy, and could trigger remote areas without affecting surface areas.

I guess I wasn't the only person thinking about these things; admittedly fiber optics in brain is extremely crude compared to what I was originally inquiring about.

Then again I was also inquiring about using modified algorithms intended for Astronomy in order to model these things along with algorithms used for autowave physics, so I guess I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
edit on 22-8-2013 by teachtaire because: not my area of expertise.

Seeing as the people in those research labs devoted to neurology had no idea what I was talking about at the time, I'm going to go with I'm just an idiot.

Still, you'd think that the PhD people at prestigious universities in charge of labs with HUGE grants would be able to at least kind of understand a stupid obvious question. Nope. Нет.
edit on 22-8-2013 by teachtaire because: what a downer when the masters of cutting edge research don't understand you're stupid questions.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

as an alternative to electroshock therapy i can see manipulation to help rationalize mental trauma. but so is cannabis

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
They're already doing this, I believe they call it Television?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

fox mostly

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

For a reason.

I don't see that this technology is good. You know its called " mind control" technology and is meant to manipulate the foundation of what makes us , us . Which is our mind. Without our own mind we are just a body. I don't know that they will use the technology for phobias its probably quiet expensive and would they bother, really?

I mean if all mentally ill people are cured - great. But do you really think that's the purpose of this research?

top topics

join