It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for sleep trick using colors I used long ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I'm placing this here because it deals with self hypnosis but may have been better in a sub medical forum. Starwise's recent post on Breathing in the Rainbow reminded me of this.

Years ago as a teen I learned a trick for getting to sleep for things like insomnia. Once learned this trick worked 100 % of the time.

I remember how the trick works but i do not remember the colors used or the sequence they are used in.

Here's how it worked:

You lie there and place yourself in a mild self hypnotic state by holding in your minds eye a solid color for a few moments. ( they started with a specific color) Next you would hold the image of another color for a while, then another and another. You would go through about 8 or ten colors but they had to be the right colors in the right order for this to work. Always on getting to the last color or just before you would be asleep.

Does anyone know of this technique or what hypnosis researcher pioneered this concept?

I'd really like to use it again.. thanks..
edit on 22-8-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I don't know who pioneered it, but I've read Color Magic for Beginners by Richard Webster and can say that it really is for beginners, and gives basic information about using colors the way you are describing.

I'm not sure how much I believed it, but he specifically talks about people who already feel a strong relationship with colors (like you), what colors mean, how to wear colors to assist you in every day life, meditation, and using colors to release pent up emotions. If you're curious, that book will give you an okay start.

Attention: that is NOT an affiliate link.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I shoot baskets or a gun at a target...keep repeating...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Thanks folks.. actually.. I think I just found it. I googled the words " hypnosis fall asleep colors" and hit on this link about color progression. www.hypnodean.com...

Sit or lay comfortably in an environment where you know you will not be disturbed. Make sure your clothing is comfortable and non-constricting. Make certain that the lighting level is also comfortable. When you begin, take some time with each color/ level, and simply notice the feelings in your body and how they change as you take the time to go through the process.

Beginning at Beta, the awakened state, close your eyes and take three, DEEP, slow breaths. Notice how, as you inhale, you build up certain tension in your shoulders and chest, and as you exhale completely, he tensions flows away with the exhalation.

In your mind, visualize or think of the color RED. Red is associated with he beta state. There is no need to make a picture of the color red, if you are not good with visualization, simply think f the color if that is all you can do. If you have difficulty working with an abstract color, simply think of something that is that color, like a fire engine or apple, and think about the color drifting off the object or the object coming closer until all that is there is the color red. Notice how you are feeling at this moment, notice the rhythm of your breath and the way the thoughts run through your head.

Now, imagine the color Orange. Simple allow the red to fade, and be replaced in your mind with a vivid orange color and notice how the mind and body already begin to make subtle changes as they move toward the relaxed Alpha state. Imagine what it would be like to comfortably breath in that color, Orange and notice the warm, comfortable secure feelings that begin to accompany this. Stay here for a moment, and simply enjoy this state of being.

Step #3- Allow the thoughts of orange to fade to thoughts of a vivid yellow, like a fresh lemon or newly bloomed butter cup flower. Often the breath changes to a slightly faster but deeper one at this point, almost like a sigh or quick yawn. Notice any changes that happen in your overall state and enjoy the shift in attention from outside yourself to inside. If there are any thoughts or outside sounds that distract you, they can be acknowledged and allowed to drift away at this point. They need not be important.

The fourth step will be more profound a change as you allow the color of focus to become green, like a freshly mowed meadow. Notice how with this green there is less movement of the body, and it becomes less of a challenge to simply drift and relax. Also notice what comforting images thoughts or sounds come into your mind if any. Take a few moments to enjoy this level before proceeding to the next to the last level before Alpha.

Now, allow the color on your mind to transform to beautiful blue. A blue color like deep blue eyes, or a light sky blue, as you see fit will do nicely. Enjoy the slow comfortable breathing, and the quietness of the mind.

And as you enter alpha, think of the color purple, and deep royal purple and what it would be like to allow the color to surround you in a comfortable light or mist. You have reached a basic alpha state.

At this point you can do several things. You can allow yourself to go back through the colors to awaken completely. You can simply enjoy this level, and possibly drift to sleep.

This sounds like what i learned years ago. i'm going to try it. I remember it worked very well.

If anyone else tries this to get to sleep, please post your findings.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Will give it a try - ROY G BIV minus the V

A trick I tried long ago, when my kid was just a baby and I got tired of driving around the block to speed up nap time, was to 'cover' the 3rd eye with your index finger. It took less than 5 blinks, most of the time, to get to sleep.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Interesting, have not tried a colour meditation/technique before.

Reminds me of Starwise's thread from yesterday

**Breathing in the Rainbow** An excercise for enlightenment and healing

same colours also... And since I didn't get ANYthing I had intended done tonight and am knackered, I think I'll try this.

Hmm I am partially colour blind. I wonder if I'll still have any effect.

edit on 22-8-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

top topics

join