It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Third Of Louisiana Republicans Blame Obama For Hurricane Katrina Response Under Bush

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
[snipped]

Well here we have a professional, scientific poll that gives us a statistically significant window into the mentality and knowledge of Republicans and conservatives in the Pelican State:

A large number of Louisiana Republicans think President Barack Obama is to blame for the federal government's poor response to Hurricane Katrina, according to a new Public Policy Polling survey released Wednesday -- despite the fact that the storm occurred three years before he took office.

The Democratic-leaning polling firm, which provided its results to Talking Points Memo, found that 29 percent of Louisiana Republicans said Obama was responsible for the Katrina response. Twenty-eight percent put the blame on President George W. Bush, whose administration did in fact oversee the federal response to Katrina. Nearly half (44 percent) of the Louisiana Republicans polled didn't know who to blame.

Huff Post

TPM

Let's look at these statistics more carefully: not only did 28% blame Obama for the Bush II White House response to Katrina, but an additional 44 percent weren't sure who to blame. That makes for 72% or nearly three out of four Louisianan Republicans who don't know who was responsible for the poor post-Katrina response by the federal government. If such people aren't aware of such basic information, or are clouded in their view of reality on such a central and visceral issue to them by their dislike of a particular president and possibly his political party as well, how can they make informed, rational political decisions on anything?

No doubt, there will be some detractors to this thread who will say "well that dang Pew Poll Research Council is made up of a bunch of then durn libruls." To which I would reply that said durn librul polling organization did a much better job of projecting the presidential and congressional elections than did the more conservative polling organizations, and did A LOT better than those "Unskewed Polling" clowns whose polling analyses on which Karl Rove apparently bet a lot of rich contributors' money in the last election cycle.
edit on 22-8-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Aug 22 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Mmmm was this poll taken before or after Mardi Gras?

Was it taken on Bourbon street? Cause that may have affected the outcome.

I would like to state that i LOVE Louisiana so much, especially New Orleans....i have family there, i have had adventures there (including one with two beautiful women that ended the way we all want it to
) and some of the nicest most generous people in the whole country live in this fair state.

However....WTF!

edit on 22-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

BTW, i stole your avatar pic for my collection, but if you like i can give you one with some sweet metallic skeletons playing guitars

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

So let me get this straight:

After making this Comment in another thread decrying political baiting decided to 'pay them back' ?

That right ?

Of course this was already posted without the spin though:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And here:

Pot meet kettle.
edit on 22-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
What do you expect...it is right wingers...not the brightest bulbs on the planet.

Accuse the left of blaming Bush for everything..then in the same breath accuse Obama for everything under the sun...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Thats funny yet disturbing.

But forget all that, look at the results of the first question:

Given the choices of Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, Susana Martinez,Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan, and RickSantorum, who would you most like to see asthe GOP candidate for President in 2016?

17% Jeb Bush
10% Chris Christie
8% Ted Cruz
10% Bobby Jindal
0% Susana Martinez
18% Rand Paul
8% Marco Rubio
11% Paul Ryan
5% Rick Santorum
Someone else/Not sure 13%

Woo hoo, RAND PAUL!!!

So why is his name 6th? They'll say well, its alphabetical. Looks like they're already starting the Ron Paul tactics...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Oh man..

If that's the line up? I'll write in Mickey Mouse. Go Mickey!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Major problem with this.

We Do Not Know who if any, group this study was targeted to - could have trick questions.. could have purposefully targeted people with low education ect. What number of people took the poll? How does that number reflect the majority of Louisiana republicans?

I really find it hard to believe that 29 percent of those polled and were at least 18 during Katrina - dont know Obama wasn't even President at the time. This looks to me like a smear campaign to paint Louisianians in a poor light as if we are alla bunch of dumb hicks.
edit on 22-8-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
Mmmm was this poll taken before or after Mardi Gras?

Was it taken on Bourbon street? Cause that may have affected the outcome.

I would like to state that i LOVE Louisiana so much, especially New Orleans....i have family there, i have had adventures there (including one with two beautiful women that ended the way we all want it to
) and some of the nicest most generous people in the whole country live in this fair state.

However....WTF!

BTW, i stole your avatar pic for my collection, but if you like i can give you one with some sweet metallic skeletons playing guitars

I enjoyed N.O. too the one time I visited it (that was pre-Katrina). Very friendly town with lots of good food and culture.

You're welcome to my avatar pic. It's "Death" by Vincent Van Gogh.

Yours looks like a pipe-smoking love child of the Grinch and some Sasquatchette.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Major problem with this.

We Do Not Know who if any, group this study was targeted to - could have trick questions.. could have purposefully targeted people with low education ect. What number of people took the poll? How does that number reflect the majority of Louisiana republicans?

I really find it hard to believe that 29 percent of those polled and were at least 18 during Katrina - dont know Obama wasn't even President at the time. This looks to me like a smear campaign to paint Louisianians in a poor light as if we are alla bunch of dumb hicks.

That's IF this poll even happened in the first place !!

Not to mention that EVEN IF it did, I bet many of those 'polled' would just say that Obama was to blame because all they hear from Obama is "it's Bush's fault".

That type of idiotic question would be pretty obvious to just about anybody

[Person answering:]
[It was Obama ! winky winky]

They're not as dumb down there as many would like to think !!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

So let me get this straight:

After making this Comment in another thread decrying political baiting decided to 'pay them back' ?

That right ?

Of course this was already posted without the spin though:

And here:

Pot meet kettle.

You make your non-factual political threads, and I make my factual ones. I understand how that upsets you so.

See, that's the difference: I am bringing facts and statistical data. You bring up lies put forth by Rush Limbaugh and such. There's a difference.

And as usual, you have no response to the facts of the matter that I put forth, you are just sputtering substanceless rhetoric -- surprise, surprise.

And as I said in the outset of this thread, conservatives here at ATS like to make posts based on one possible data point, i.e. a hinky-at-best phone call into a radio talk show. I'm providing the statistics collected by a competent, professional polling organization.

As for other posts on this subject, I looked in this forum for other threads on the subject and I used the ATS search engine, but came up with no results. I try to do my due diligence before creating any new thread.

With respect to the spin I put on it, it was my commentary after I cited and quote news stories on the subject. So what? For a person whose threads are but political spin, you're really not the person to be making such aspersions.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Yeah

See, that's the difference: I am bringing facts and statistical data.

That's rich it really was considering :

The latest survey from Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling

Pretty much say it all doesn't it, and that is called 'statistical data' more like manipulated datas as ALL POLLS are.

Who cares want to believe in that infamous intellectual superiority complex ?

Feel free to date none have ever proven it.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Major problem with this.

Like I said in my OP, this was conducted by Pew Poll Research Council, which has a good record of conducting accurate polls. Try again when you have something better to dispute this with.

But it is rather telling how persons of certain political bents here at ATS always try to discredit polls when the yield inconvenient results.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Even Sasquatch needs a good pipe

He does regularly visit Washington ya know

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Major problem with this.

That's IF this poll even happened in the first place !!

Says the person who knows a picture is fake because it looks fake. Try looking at the sources I cited, and go to the Pew Poll Research Council's website and see for yourself rather than making substanceless smears against it here.

Surprise, surprise: the usual conservative members are showing up here with their usual tricks -- that is ad hominem attacks, smears, outright denial of the facts and, at best, questioning the veracity of the original source.

Once again, the Pew Poll Research Council has been around for years and is a fairly trusted polling organization, WHICH did a far better job of polling in the last election cycle than various well-known, more conservative polling organizations, and did WAY BETTER than the "Unskewed Polls" statistical snake oil sellers at predicting the last election results.

Not to mention that EVEN IF it did, I bet many of those 'polled' would just say that Obama was to blame because all they hear from Obama is "it's Bush's fault"

That type of idiotic question would be pretty obvious to just about anybody
They're not as dumb down there as many would like to think !!

Yeah, I've heard this same argument before from you or your fellow travelers when poll results show astounding ignorance on the parts of Republicans and conservatives. it doesn't comport with your reality so you make up any excuse to rationalize the results. If Republicans and conservatives are intentionally answering polls falsely, then that says something else about them as well. But provide some evidence that this is going on before making such bold claims.

You can throw out invective and innuendo, but you can't win these arguments on facts.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Well now this is certainly interesting dontcha think ?

Number: H.R. 2206 (U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Care, Katrina Recovery, and Iraq Accountability Appropriations Act, 2007 ) Measure Title: Making emergency supplemental appropriations and additional supplemental appropriations for agricultural and other emergency assistance for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2007, and for other purposes.

www.senate.gov...

Turns out ole Obama is guilty as charged.

Obama (D-IL), Nay

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive

But it is rather telling how persons of certain political bents here at ATS always try to discredit polls when the yield inconvenient results.

That's not happening with Me.. I'm an independent who don't like either of our two major parties for various reasons.

No, I don't think it's ' telling" at all. I think polls need to be more scientific. I think they should be conducted in person not online because there is too much room for error and people just making stuff up. You need to rule out the uneducated because thats not fair to the results. you need to rule out people faking to be republicans. You need to target real known republicans who have been active in voting to show they know something about the political situation. Only then can you get a better cross sampling of Louisiana republicans and what they believe.

You say these people are experts at polling and do a good job - I can't believe that - none of my conditions above were met. Looks to me like they did a very sloppy job.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

PRICELESS!

And you wonder "why" this Poll comes out?

2010 answers it!

But if the Obama administration has treated New Orleans with action and not neglect, with empathy and not indifference, then why does the latest survey from Public Policy Polling, a liberal polling firm, show that not only do Louisianans disapprove of Obama’s actions in the aftermath of the spill by a 61%-32% margin, but a majority, 54%, believe that President George W. Bush did the better job of helping Louisiana through Katrina? The answer was given by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) shortly after the President’s Xavier speech when Jindal told reporters: “The experts all agree, we can end this moratorium before six months. Let’s put our people back to work.”

Morning Bell: Why Does Louisiana Think This is Obama’s Katrina?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Good find !!

I knew the 'poll' question was a trick

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Lets see the "spin" on this one.

People didn't forget about Obama's Promises to Louisiana, about the moratorium............

As Neo pointed out.......

Illinois: Durbin (D-IL), Yea Obama (D-IL), Nay

H.R. 2206 (U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Care, Katrina Recovery, and Iraq Accountability Appropriations Act, 2007 )

Then this.....

"The people down in New Orleans they don't care about as much!"~ Obama

Who is "they" Obama? You who voted down the recovery act?

PRICELESS!

They see through the BS.........

edit on 22-8-2013 by sonnny1 because: PRICELESS

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood

i have had adventures there (including one with two beautiful women that ended the way we all want it to

I'm sure that's a better story then this tripe!

Dos it involve PPP?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join