It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B1-b crashes in montana

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Anyone know where John Travolta or Christein Slater are at the moment...?

;-)
edit on 19-8-2013 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Good to see the 4 crew man all ejected out. That is a really cool plane, and have always loved the way the wings move to make a more areodynamic after a certain speed.

edit on 19-8-2013 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Made me laugh a bit. But to be overly technical that was a B-3 in the movie.

* B-3 - A fictional advanced version of the actual B-2 Spirit stealth bomber

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

That movie had the B-2, this is the B-1 lancer I think

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Can't wait to hear what happened....that was an expensive ejection.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to eject in that country, more rattlesnakes there than ants!

Watch where you step, guys!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

No, they called it the B-3. It was more of an arrowhead shape than the B-2.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Witnesses are reporting an explosion prior to the crash. If that holds up, then it was probably an engine problem. Depending on the training they were doing, it could have been a bird ingestion, or something came loose in the engine.

Journalists are annoying. It's not the B1-B, it's the B-1B (I know, same thing, but at least get the minor things right).
edit on 8/19/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Just for reference

I was not making a joke on the back of people whom might have died in the crash...... thoughts go out to them

Regards

PDUK

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

They may have seen the ejection rockets which might have appeared like an explosion.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by usertwelve

It's possible. The wording of it makes me think otherwise, but that wouldn't surprise me. Especially if you have no idea what you're seeing.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So glad the air crews made it out of the plane. Being a pilot myself I get a little sick to my stomach when fellow aviators get killed. It is part of the game but certainly not a pleasant one.

The loss of the aircraft is no big deal when the Government has a credit card issued by it's citizens with no limits and no payment plan.......

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I was not making a joke on the back of people whom might have died in the crash...... thoughts go out to them

Ditto...

edit on 19-8-2013 by usertwelve because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
I wouldn't want to eject in that country, more rattlesnakes there than ants!

Watch where you step, guys!

You make a good point. The pilots go through all the Escape and Evasion training, survival, interrogation resistance, etc. But how many of those pilots do you think ever imagine their survival skills would be put to the test on home soil? I've been in some pretty miserable back country myself and it's no picnic even without injuries from ejecting out of a plane.

The dangers from snakes and other varmints are just as real as what they would encounter if they ejected over North Korea. A snake bite will kill you just the same as a landmine.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

We live in a world where people don't know the difference between then and than...Maybe a little hyphen problem ain't so bad

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'm very glad to hear the reports that these men got out okay and only the plane was lost. Talk about a painful loss though. If I'm not terribly mistaken that is a truly irreplacable airframe, isn't it? Weren't the molds and lines to make them shut down and torn up a couple decades ago?

Oh well.. It happens. The guys got out by reports and in the end, everything else is just material stuff that has no comparative meaning.

edit on 19-8-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The B-1 record has improved immensely in recent years, but for a long time they had a lot of problems.

The Air Force uses various codes for mission capable readiness. NMC(M/S) is Non Mission Capable (Maintenance/Supply), which means that the aircraft is non-flyable either waiting for repairs or parts. PMC(M/S) is Partially Mission Capable (Maintenance/Supply), which means that the plane can fly, but it has a minor problem, such as a secondary radio problem or something that they can fly with. FMC is Fully Mission Capable, meaning there are no problems with the aircraft.

We had five B-1s in, with all five listed on the board as FMC. One of their crew chiefs came in and saw it on the board and said "There is no such thing as a Fully Mission Capable B-1." To make them capable of going past Mach 1, and getting near the top speed the Air Force wanted, they had to remove a generator, so instead of having four, which would provide plenty of power to operate all their systems, they have three. That means that during certain phases of flight, they have to choose which systems to operate. We had four make emergency landings due to engine problems, requiring fan blade changes on three, and a full engine change on the fourth. They had launched out of Singapore on their way home, and had to choose between navigation, or deicing. They flew through some clouds and developed ice on the intakes, which eventually broke off and went down the engines. They could fly to Hickam from there (because it was the closest base with easy access to support), but pushing it back to Dyess would have been a challenge at best, and risking disaster at worst if something were to happen to another engine.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Just curious how the ejection seats work with the b-1b? If it has a crew of 4 how do they all eject safely? Seems like there isn't enough room for them to go up through where the canopy would be? I don't think I've ever seen how the ejection system works with a b-1 and I'm curious to see how it operates. From what I found on youtube the B-1A used a capsule that ejects from the main airframe and then deploys it's own chute but apparently this system wasn't used for the B-1B?

Any information would be appreciated Zaphod

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

The pilots eject as any other fighter style jet although instead of the typical (blow/break the glass canopy off) there are panels in the roof that blow off allowing the seats to rocket upwards on rails. That's the simple version at least.

B-1B Ejection System

What a ride!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join