It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice Please

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Please don't be mean to me here... I know its a self-indulgent thread, but I'm honestly looking for advice and suggestions, not criticism and hate.

Let me first explain my situation.

I went to my first protest on saturday, and met a few people from a particular group that I am now a part of. These people are going to rally in DC on September 11th, and they're trying to gather all the folks they can.

I want to go. Its extremely important to me.

Problem is, transportation, and money.

I graduated high school recently, and after spending the summer being the family babysitter, I'm in an awkward transition between leaving school behind and finding more work. I have a car that I've already paid twelve grand on, and I owe roughly 400 dollars on it still. I won't see this car until I come up with the 400$. And even if I got a job tomorrow, I wouldn't get my first paycheck in time to pay off my car, or to jump on a greyhound... not to mention, I would be booked for work during the week I would be in DC.

I am seriously conflicted here. I feel an unrelenting NEED to go to this rally.

PLEASE don't tell me to back out. I need to find a way to get there.

I have a PS3 slim, and I think I might be able to get about 200$ out of it if I sold it on Craigslist. That would probably cover the bus trip and the food, but I would need somewhere to sleep during the week I was there, and I wouldn't have a car, or any hotel money.

I don't want to sell it, its one of the very few nice things I own. But I will if I have to.

Do you folks have any suggestions? Any ideas? I'm having a total mental block here...

Please!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
At your age have you even thought of your personal safety while in DC. Having no where to stay is just inviting disaster! Try to find someone from the group that is going and see if they can take you.

Back in the sixties and seventies this was the done thing. Now, I don't know.

We would all be saddened if you ended up raped or murdered.

Personal safety!

P

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Just some thoughts. If you really need to get to the event start with selling the PS3 and don't sell your car! Try to find a job that starts after you return to keep any conflicts from that.

Could you borrow the rest from family or friends? If they knew you could pay them back from the job you hopefully get when you returned they may be willing to help.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
At your age have you even thought of your personal safety while in DC. Having no where to stay is just inviting disaster! Try to find someone from the group that is going and see if they can take you.

Back in the sixties and seventies this was the done thing. Now, I don't know.

We would all be saddened if you ended up raped or murdered.

Personal safety!

P

I've thought of this... I guess I'm kinda not worried about the safety part as much, but I will take whatever precautions come my way, whatever ends up happening. I also considered bunkering with someone else, and that would probably be my smartest option... but I don't know these folks too well yet. I don't want to be a mooch.

Beggars can't be choosers, I know... but ehhh.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
My first thought would be to find a social network (I know Facebook bad), but find someone else that may want to go with you and you can split the cost. Sounds weird but did you ever think of trying to get a few others to go with you?

So your not borrowing, but going as a team effort

Good luck, and of course be safe.

Believe me I am sure that there is someone out there thinking the same thing you are.
Peace, NRE.
edit on 19-8-2013 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago

Just some thoughts. If you really need to get to the event start with selling the PS3 and don't sell your car! Try to find a job that starts after you return to keep any conflicts from that.

Could you borrow the rest from family or friends? If they knew you could pay them back from the job you hopefully get when you returned they may be willing to help.

Oh no! I wouldn't sell the car. Not after the amount of money I've paid on it already.

The PS3, possibly... and the family thing is a good idea, and although I have a *thing* about NEVER owing anyone money (especially family
)... this event may be worth it...

Thanks for the input, guys

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
My first thought would be to find a social network (I know Facebook bad), but find someone else that may want to go with you and you can split the cost. Sounds weird but did you ever think of trying to get a few others to go with you?

So your not borrowing, but going as a team effort

Good luck, and of course be safe.

Believe me I am sure that there is someone out there thinking the same thing you are.
Peace, NRE.
edit on 19-8-2013 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

Splitting the costs... that's a fantastic idea.

I feel like a damn idiot for not thinking of that.

I'll work on that, thanks friend

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Anytime friend, anytime, and let me know how it goes

You can go real old school and call it a road trip for change, that would get more people involved, bring some capri suns and sandwiches and you wont miss a thing

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

Anytime friend, anytime, and let me know how it goes

You can go real old school and call it a road trip for change, that would get more people involved, bring some capri suns and sandwiches and you wont miss a thing

Peace, NRE.

.... This gives me an idea.

A wonderful, awful idea.

I have a few friends I recently started hanging out with again, and they've been up to DC for vacationing before. I met them about two years ago, and I spent that time waking them up.
They might be down for a trip like this.

I wish I could give you a spine-snapping hug for putting this in my head.

Godspeed NRE!

EDIT; Damn, I just remembered they're in a pretty tight spot too, financially. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Bunking with other activists and splitting the costs with them still sounds pretty good.

edit on 19-8-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

So if your car is worth 12k, sell the car. Buy a lesser car, you can get a great used car for 6 or 7k and have lots of money left over for your transition from high school to job...

But really

This seems like common sense and I'm trying to figure out how you managed to pay 12k on a car while in high school and can't figure out how to come up with $400, paltry in comparison, and you should have twice as much time to work/earn since you don't spend 7 or 8 hours in school all day.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia

So if your car is worth 12k, sell the car. Buy a lesser car, you can get a great used car for 6 or 7k and have lots of money left over for your transition from high school to job...

But really

This seems like common sense and I'm trying to figure out how you managed to pay 12k on a car while in high school and can't figure out how to come up with $400, paltry in comparison, and you should have twice as much time to work/earn since you don't spend 7 or 8 hours in school all day.

I worked for a year supporting an apartment with some room mates, and saving the money for that car. I skipped school that year, resulting in my graduation a year late, but better late than never. I can't sell the car. Its a fantastic car, and to get it for 1500 was quite a steal for us, we're holding onto it. Its gonna be our first car.

The problem isn't coming up with money, its coming up with money within the next few weeks.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

But really

I worked for a year supporting an apartment with some room mates, and saving the money for that car. I skipped school that year, resulting in my graduation a year late, but better late than never. I can't sell the car. Its a fantastic car, and to get it for 1500 was quite a steal for us, we're holding onto it. Its gonna be our first car.

The problem isn't coming up with money, its coming up with money within the next few weeks.

Wait as the car 1,500 or 12,000?

I've got:

-Clean a house or a few, $100 for a full house clean

-Busk (street perform) if you think you haven't got a talent, print the Constitution and start having a speech, you'd probably get tips from just being unique, ya know everyone is always playing an instrument or something

-Small odd job, like do you know anyone who needs a room painted, a fence torn down, wall paper removed, anything like that.

-Use Craigslist or Freecycle and get something free, then re-post it for real cheap. Like if you got a totally free couch all you have to do is pick it up, move it to your place (or your parents) then post it for $20.

-*whispers* Babysit

In all seriousness, I have a Ways to Make Money linked under my posts, check it out. That link leads to a thread on ATS, I posted a bunch of stuff there and so did some other people.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

But really

Wait as the car 1,500 or 12,000?

I've got:

-Clean a house or a few, $100 for a full house clean

-Busk (street perform) if you think you haven't got a talent, print the Constitution and start having a speech, you'd probably get tips from just being unique, ya know everyone is always playing an instrument or something

-Small odd job, like do you know anyone who needs a room painted, a fence torn down, wall paper removed, anything like that.

-Use Craigslist or Freecycle and get something free, then re-post it for real cheap. Like if you got a totally free couch all you have to do is pick it up, move it to your place (or your parents) then post it for $20.

-*whispers* Babysit

In all seriousness, I have a Ways to Make Money linked under my posts, check it out. That link leads to a thread on ATS, I posted a bunch of stuff there and so did some other people.

D... did I say twelve grand?

Holy jesus mary and joseph... I meant twelve hundred, not twelve grand. Sorry

I'll check out the links.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

But really

Can't even stress this enough. Listen, FRACK the ralley. You got real life to deal with first. So do whatever you can to get the car. that's your number 1 priority. Once you got it, sell it for whatever you can get that's "reasonable". Like maybe you only get 10 grand for it. Who knows what it's really worth on the open market. So you get that money, then you buy a car for 500 bucks.

So now at least you got maybe close to 10k. Now just don't tell anyone you have that money, and don't go spending it on stupid frivalous crap you don't need. That money is to pay for only basic necessities in life. Like: gas for your car, insurance for your car, food, and personal necessities like maybe toothpaste.

Now go and find a job. That's priority number 2. Just get a job, and having a car to get to work will look good so tell your prospective employers that. That way they'll at least think you must be semi responsible since you got wheels. Once you get a job start saving as much as you can, and build up that nest egg. (again don't spend that money at all on anything). That's your fall back plan in case you get fired from your job!

Then while your working your job after hours look for ways to start a small business. Something you can do for nearly free, if not free. Like you have a car so you could do stuff like: light deliveries, maid service, or maybe something you know how to do. Like maybe you know something about computers so you could do computer repairs on the side. Or you know how to do nails so you do manacures, I don't know. Put your mind to work and figure out a small business to start doing. So you got your job by day. Moonight at night and on weekends doing your small business. Meanwhile saving as much as you can all "in cash" (don't leave the money in the bank!). And just keep saving up your little nest egg.

Why am I saying all this???? .... because in life..... "it's better to be prepared and not have an opportunity, than to have an opportunity and not be prepared".

Listen, you'll have plenty of time in your life to go to ralleys and all kinds of events and stuff. But the very last thing you want is this....

You go to the rally. You think "wow I'm gonna go change the world". Instead here's what happens. At the rally all hell breaks lose. Cops start beating on protestors. And maybe a mean cop breaks your back or breaks your neck. Now you're in a wheel chair for life. Or maybe you get arrested and charged with 10 felony charges of assult on an officier. And now you are sentensed to 10 years in jail. Plus you can never travel anywhere ever again. And in jail you become some big persons beatch. Or maybe the cops launch tear gas and it lands too close to you and you get it in your eyes and your now blind for life. Or maybe you're just accidently shot and die.... Not so fun anymore now is it? It's not the big "lets save the world party" you were hoping for.

Listen forget all this "I'm gonna change the world garbage.". It's a waste of your life. Don't put yourself in that kind of danger. If you want to change the world start with just setting up a Blog online or a Podcast or something that you can voice your opinion safely. Mind you even that's dangerous in the You=es. Listen you have your whole life ahead of you, don't screw it up. Why do you think older adults have so many problems? Cuz they made bad choices early in life, now they have to pay for those mistakes for years. Like you see a vet who's only 25 but missing half is face or both legs. And for what? Cuz he made the mistake of joining the army, he didn't realize or was never told that there are real dangers out there. Stuff like that happens. So be careful okay. Forget the rallys, just write and ebook and put that on kindle or something in which you can voice your opinions without the risk of die

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

You go to the rally. You think "wow I'm gonna go change the world". Instead here's what happens. At the rally all hell breaks lose. Cops start beating on protestors. And maybe a mean cop breaks your back or breaks your neck. Now you're in a wheel chair for life. Or maybe you get arrested and charged with 10 felony charges of assult on an officier. And now you are sentensed to 10 years in jail. Plus you can never travel anywhere ever again. And in jail you become some big persons beatch. Or maybe the cops launch tear gas and it lands too close to you and you get it in your eyes and your now blind for life. Or maybe you're just accidently shot and die.... Not so fun anymore now is it? It's not the big "lets save the world party" you were hoping for.

I appreciate that you took the time to write a big reply, but I've never been a believer in the whole "Dedicating your life to bigger causes is a waste of time" stuff. And honestly, as crazy as it may sound, everything you described here has played through my mind numerous times. Those kinds of horrific events are the yang to our yin, they're the negative half of the occurrances that have to take place in order for folks to wake up.

To me, it seems that people who make the argument you're making here are copping out. No offense intended, but the world around us is all of our responsibilities, and if we're not doing something, that is a waste of life. Going to "change the world," however dangerous it could be, is a lot better than sitting around and taking up space, waiting to die, living for only the short-lived pleasures of self-gratification.

A big "save the world" party would sometimes consist of violence, danger, and maybe even death. I'm not afraid of that.

I've seen more than my share of violence, and I've seen death. Neither of them scare me.

Listen forget all this "I'm gonna change the world garbage.". It's a waste of your life. Don't put yourself in that kind of danger. If you want to change the world start with just setting up a Blog online or a Podcast or something that you can voice your opinion safely.

Changing the world isn't an idea that belongs in the garbage. Look at the world. Does it look okay to you? No? Then it ought to be changed. And, as living breathing human beings capable of cognitive thought, and who are responsible for not only our generation, but the ones following, we have an obligation to make as much of a difference as possible for the better.

Also, I've done this already. I had a little rag-tag organization of awake teenagers going when I was still in school, but after we all graduated and went our separate ways, the site died. It was jumpin' for a while, though... see here

So be careful okay. Forget the rallys, just write and ebook and put that on kindle or something in which you can voice your opinions without the risk of die

Speaking as someone who took the most traumatizing path in "waking up," I've read online articles.

And, I've seen protests, and protest footage.

Protests and rallies hit folks a lot harder than anything written online.

They are the real deal.

They are the front lines of the psychological info war.

That's where I wanna be.

Again, I appreciate your input, but I won't change my mind.

edit on 19-8-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Hey lil' girl, there's a million Muslim march in DC on that day. What are you planning on doing there? I don't want to see you get hurt!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Hey lil' girl, there's a million Muslim march in DC on that day. What are you planning on doing there? I don't want to see you get hurt!

Well... its 9/11 related.

Didn't know about the Muslim thing...

Ima look into that real quick

edit on 19-8-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: OCD

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Have to head to work so I only browsed this article, but it doesn't sound like DC will be a very friendly place on that day.

Million Muslim March to demand rights

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Have to head to work so I only browsed this article, but it doesn't sound like DC will be a very friendly place on that day.

Million Muslim March to demand rights

Actually, it sounds like they have a more "waking up" goal in mind.

The group seems to rationalize the date chosen for their march by claiming that the media has been lying to the American people with regard to the role Islam played in the 9/11 attacks:

"On 9.11.01 our country was forever changed by the horrific events in New York. The entire country was victimized by the acts done on that day. Muslim and Non Muslim alike were traumatized but we as Muslims continue 12 years later to be victimized by being made the villains. To this day every media outlet and anti Islamic organization has committed slanderous and libel statements against us as Muslims and our religion of Islam.

Yet our Government either sits idly by and does nothing to protect our freedoms or it exacerbates the problem with its constant war on terrorism in Islamic countries, congressional hearings on Islam in America, and its changes to the NDAA law."

They sound like a bunch of freedom fighters to me... I don't think they'll have any beef with my peoples. Then again, I could just be being optimistic here... I'unno. I guess we'll see.

edit on 19-8-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: typos

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Oooh I really grow mad goats when I read someone say "just finished school" and "just woke people up" in the same context.

You wont even BE YOU in 30 years.

What have you woken people up to?

Argh... back to the dark room for me...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join