It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An image of Comet Ison or is it really a comet?

page: 35
<< 32  33  34   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
So,parallax has the comet moving that far against the background stars in 440 seconds.....naww....sumthins up....a child could discern this....and this....Did you know that Scripture states that those living in the end times will have NO EXCUSE....for not knowing....

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
So,parallax has the comet moving that far against the background stars in 440 seconds.....naww....sumthins up....a child could discern this....and this....Did you know that Scripture states that those living in the end times will have NO EXCUSE....for not knowing....

Have you actually bothered to see if that IS the expected parallax based on the orbit, or are you just engaging in the logical fallacy of appeal to personal incredulity? I think the answer to my question is fairly obvious given your post. Meanwhile...

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Without the will or ability to trail through 35 pages of ATS, could someone tell me - will this comet be seen worldwide? I'm in Northern Ireland, if that helps. Thank you!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by locoequine
Without the will or ability to trail through 35 pages of ATS, could someone tell me - will this comet be seen worldwide? I'm in Northern Ireland, if that helps. Thank you!

If you have a large backyard telescope, its visible now.
Otherwise, end October/start of November should have it visible in binoculars, and mid november would be easily seen and plainly obvious without any optical aid at all.

But... its in the eastern sky before dawn, so you'll have to get up a few hours earlier than you'd like.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

So a book of fairy tales is believed first

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

So a book of fairy tales is believed first

Not to mention that in each of those 440 second exposures, at it's present speed, the comet moved about 8600 miles. So, yes, at that magnification, at that angle, it certainly would move that far against the background stars.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Thank you very much!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by locoequine

If you have a large backyard telescope, its visible now.

Indeed. Barely. Here's what an 8" Meade LX200 and Atik Titan camera gets you:

Took it this morning.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The parallax/composite image explanations given in this thread are summed up on the Hubble site:

What's Going On With This Comet ISON Image?

edit on 9/17/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I was going to post something similar:
archive.stsci.edu...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
This image has me perplexed.

Top left corner shows multiple anomolys

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yummy Freelunch
I really dont mean to beat a dead horse..Ive been researching and keeping up on ISON daily..there has been much speculation and theories, but nothing to date actually proves anything about the original pictures..

This is the latest news from the comet ISON campaign headquarters..yes, it says what others have said..but I have to tell you..I still dont believe it. This is their explanation.

In the image above (which we recommend you click on to see a comparison with its "pretty" counterpart image), we see something that doesn't look a lot like a comet, and very much not like the beautiful Hubble Heritage image of ISON.
We see three distinct nuclei that appear as short streaks oriented in different directions. Why is this?
The Hubble image of Comet ISON is not a single exposure but instead a series exposures taken at different times.
Hubble is in orbit around the Earth, so is actually moving through space at a very high velocity. When compiling this image, the Hubble team aligned all of the exposures such that the stars remained fixed in space.
This greatly enhances the detail of the stars and galaxies in the field of view and makes the image far prettier to look at. Unfortunately this also means that the comet (which is very much closer to Hubble than it is to the stars) appears in a slightly different location in each of the exposures that are taken, because the Space Telescope never sits still!
Furthermore, the images taken were long exposures -- up to 490-seconds. Any photographer will tell you that a long exposure of a moving bright light will lead to a streak in the image, and that is exactly what we see with the comet. Finally, the streaks are oriented in different directions due to Hubble's elliptical orbit around Earth. Depending on where the telescope is at a given time on this ellipse, it leads to a "streak" that trails in a different direction.

I have taken pictures all my life..streaks are streaks..and these images are NOT streaks..they are perfect objects, lighted objects..they are NOT streaks..ive taken many streaked pictures..(im not proud of it_)..this just doesnt feel right, its not an adequate answer.

I will keep up to date on this thread as much as I can, but I just wanted to tell all of you, there is something fishy about all of this!!!!

I feel that this "comet" is three parts..just like the picture shows..

Here you go, mathematically proven and recreated using a "normal comet photo" combined with the predicted apparent path of the comet generated from the math. I'm hoping that this will not only keep this subject from ever cropping back up as a "remember that time NASA covered up ISON blah blah blah" but also provide a tool to directly calculate the apparent path of any future comet as seen from Hubble. No fancy software needed, no "black box," all the calculations are transparently contained within a spreadsheet and free for inspection.

top topics

<< 32  33  34   >>

join