It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How a Alien race would construct and build?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I often had wondered if in fact there was intelligent alien life on other planets would they build things the way we do? Are the methods of manufacturing and fabrication universal by law of psysics?

For instance let's say you wanted to join to pieces of wood, plastic or metal together (assuming they have simular materials) What would they use? We use many methods actually.

First the rivet. Rivets go back centuries for construction and fabrication.

Rivets are a permanent mechanical fastener. Before being installed a rivet consists of a smooth cylindrical shaft with a head on one end. The end opposite the head is called the buck-tail. On installation the rivet is placed in a punched or drilled hole, and the tail is upset, or bucked (i.e., deformed), so that it expands to about 1.5 times the original shaft diameter, holding the rivet in place. To distinguish between the two ends of the rivet, the original head is called the factory head and the deformed end is called the shop head or buck-tail.

Next we have nuts, bolts and screws a great addition to the rivet.

A screw, or bolt, is a type of fastener characterized by a helical ridge, known as an external thread or just thread, wrapped around a cylinder. Some screw threads are designed to mate with a complementary thread, known as an internal thread, often in the form of a nut or an object that has the internal thread formed into it. Other screw threads are designed to cut a helical groove in a softer material as the screw is inserted. The most common uses of screws are to hold objects together and to position objects.

And of course welding.

There are many methods to welding Arc, Mig, Tig, and others including brazing and soldering. A very modern method used to fasten metals and plastics together.

Welding is a fabrication or sculptural process that joins materials, usually metals or thermoplastics, by causing coalescence. This is often done by melting the workpieces and adding a filler material to form a pool of molten material (the weld pool) that cools to become a strong joint, with pressure sometimes used in conjunction with heat, or by itself, to produce the weld. This is in contrast with soldering and brazing, which involve melting a lower-melting-point material between the workpieces to form a bond between them, without melting the workpieces.

And of course there is glues. We all know what glue does at a very young age. It's has many types and we all know they are used to bond things together.

So now moving on to constructing whole parts. We have a various ammounts of methods actually. The oldest would be casting.

Casting is a manufacturing process by which a liquid material is usually poured into a mold, which contains a hollow cavity of the desired shape, and then allowed to solidify. The solidified part is also known as a casting, which is ejected or broken out of the mold to complete the process. Casting materials are usually metals or various cold setting materials that cure after mixing two or more components together; examples are epoxy, concrete, plaster and clay. Casting is most often used for making complex shapes that would be otherwise difficult or uneconomical to make by other methods.

A more modern way to construct whole parts cheaper, faster and in mass ammounts is injection molding or extrusion.

Injection molding is a manufacturing process for producing parts by injecting material into a mold. Injection molding can be performed with a host of materials, including metals, glasses, elastomers, confections, and most commonly thermoplastic and thermosetting polymers. Material for the part is fed into a heated barrel, mixed, and forced into a mold cavity where it cools and hardens to the configuration of the cavity. After a product is designed, usually by an industrial designer or an engineer, molds are made by a moldmaker (or toolmaker) from metal, usually either steel or aluminum, and precision-machined to form the features of the desired part. Injection molding is widely used for manufacturing a variety of parts, from the smallest components to entire body panels of cars.

Ok so we now know many types of building things, my question is would a intelligent alien race be required by the laws law of physics to have simular manufacturing, construction, fabrication techniques? Or is there many other ways to build? In our world we really have not had any new methods. We seem to only have these basics, however these methods go through technological improovments but still are the same.

I guess what I am asking is, would all of these methods be standards all across the universe?

What do you think ATS?

edit on 8/16/13 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'd say, if they exist, they seem to show an understanding of physics that is currently beyond our own understanding and, as such, would probably have developed other methods---especially as regards interstellar or cross-dimensional "travel."

The oft reported large seamless disc comes to mind.

Nice presentation on the OP.

edit on 16-8-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Funny thing you mention seamless construction. My late father was a WWII vet and near the end of his life I was his caretaker. He told me at the end of the war he was on a mission in germany that he claimed they crated up saucers that was flawless in construction and when the door on them closed you could not see any evidence of where it was. He went on to tell me that several scientist's briefed his group before they went in. One scientist he said was no other than Einstien himself he claimed. Knowing my fathers background I believe him 100%. I had found his resume in his files after he passed and was astonished by it.

This is actually why I had this idea rolling around in my head for over 15 years now.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Well, 3D printing is the next progression of manufacturing tech as outlined in the OP. Beyond that, the aliens must be able to fabricate completely coherent 3D objects, with no "material" at all. That is, they use their minds to "print " an object " out of thin air." In reality, though, this material is of a very subtle and elemental matter, which
is built upon or evolved to whatever material and shape imaginable.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
If they do it anything like we do it, they'd first have to enslave their population with an economic system that forces them to commodify and sell their labor in order to procure a means of exchange for life-sustaining goods.

People aren't going to spend their lives on Phobos mining dilithium if they don't have to, you know. I think people sometimes forget that almost all of our technology is the result of social coercion on a global scale. It's for that reason I have a hard time believing that any technologically advanced extraterrestrial species is a benevolent one.

...if they do it anything like we do it.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecapsretuo
Well, 3D printing is the next progression of manufacturing tech as outlined in the OP. Beyond that, the aliens must be able to fabricate completely coherent 3D objects, with no "material" at all. That is, they use their minds to "print " an object " out of thin air." In reality, though, this material is of a very subtle and elemental matter, which
is built upon or evolved to whatever material and shape imaginable.

Well I have came upon through online research and reading that there is the possiblity that there are beings that can supossidly just create reality constructs through pure thought.(what we currently think of as godlike abilities) But how that would be possible? I cannot even comprehend. If there is a thing called evolution maybe after a technologial singularity along after a transhumanism era we might discover such capabilities. Then we would basically be in a construct matrix like environment being able to will things to exsistence.
This could be the case of the UFO's? They would look at us less than we look at ants.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Any advanced civilization would not construct their technology, they would grow it with bio-mechanical machines.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Interesting OP. I'll play.
I think that it would be some kind of accelerated organic style. I would posit they bring the energy and their "special recipe" and use existing carbon structures from whatever planet they're on and grow it/ them.

maybe..

Damn.. Thorn is on the same page and I missed it.

edit on 8/16/2013 by howmuch4another because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Great minds run in the same channels.

Can you say Amen?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood

Can you say Amen?

Everyday

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I have to admit I did drop the ball on this post with 3d printing. I don't know how I left that aspect out considering I been researching it and had many idea of the future of it.

Additive manufacturing or 3D printing is a process of making a three-dimensional solid object of virtually any shape from a digital model. 3D printing is achieved using an additive process, where successive layers of material are laid down in different shapes. 3D printing is also considered distinct from traditional machining techniques, which mostly rely on the removal of material by methods such as cutting or drilling (subtractive processes).

Yes 3d pring in the near future could be the threshold of seamless manufacturing.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuch4another
I think that it would be some kind of accelerated organic style. I would posit they bring the energy and their "special recipe" and use existing carbon structures from whatever planet they're on and grow it/ them.

maybe..

Yes that would be a viable method of contruction once you master DNA codes. But what device could or would construct this? DNA cellular construct printers? Or are we talking Star trek replicators?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Molecular Robots

Researchers from Columbia University, Arizona State University, the University of Michigan and the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) have created and programmed robots the size of single molecule that can move independently across a nano-scale track. This development, outlined in the May 13 edition of the journal Nature, marks an important advancement in the nascent fields of molecular computing and robotics, and could someday lead to molecular robots that can fix individual cells or assemble nanotechnology products.

edit on 16-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

Well there is the idea of sub atomic manufacturing robots (nano tech).However this is not organic or could it be eventually?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by proob4

maybe..

Yes that would be a viable method of contruction once you master DNA codes. But what device could or would construct this? DNA cellular construct printers? Or are we talking Star trek replicators?

I don't know man maybe they reverse polarities on their death rays..

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The answer to your final question is a little more speculative but the best example i have seen of that sort of technology is actually explored in an excellent novel called The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
On another note. Let's give some thought on "Organics" I can't imagine a alien race using "organics" to grow a populace, buildings, crafts or even be able to interstellar travel using "organics" What type of propulsion would they have?
And let's get Biological out of the way with the same Idea. I believe it could be a possibility, but seems very weak and highly vulnerable to threats like disease, environment and mostly stuctural durability.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by proob4

maybe..

I don't know man maybe they reverse polarities on their death rays..

Sorry but I am not going to respond to your replies anymore. You just seem to be trolling for hillarity.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
Molecular Robots

Researchers from Columbia University, Arizona State University, the University of Michigan and the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) have created and programmed robots the size of single molecule that can move independently across a nano-scale track. This development, outlined in the May 13 edition of the journal Nature, marks an important advancement in the nascent fields of molecular computing and robotics, and could someday lead to molecular robots that can fix individual cells or assemble nanotechnology products.

Thanks I am famliar with this. But I also learned a few things.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
At this level of construction it would be theoretically possible to interweave organic and inorganic matter to create a more viable living being that could withstand the intense pressures and radiations that would naturally occur in intergalactic/interplanetary travel.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join