It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Programmed To Degeneracy By Television

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Anyone notice the proliferation of shows like Breaking Bad, Weeds, Drunk History, Mad Men, and etcetera...
I know Breaking Bad tries to show the negative side of it too, but when they make an awesome montage, it overrules the negatives.

You got that show, Drunk History, people poking fun at drunks. "Oh, I drank half a bottle of vodka. I'm gonna tell a biased version of history. Woo!" I mean, some of it is funny, but I know alcoholics, and alcoholism ain't.
I got an idea for a show. "Alcoholic History", and it's just belligerent, and awful. The drunk beats his kid, and is like, "I'LL SHOW YOU WILLIAM JENNINGS BRYAN, YOU SWINE!". Laugh track fades to screams. Real funny.

That reminds me of The Simpsons, with Homer Simpson, choking his kid as if it's normal to do that. What if I made a show where other elements of abusive homes are showcased? They never seem to go hungry when their dad spends all the rent money on booze. They never have teachers ask Bart how he got them bruises around his neck.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Ditto.

edit on 15-8-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

Clearly true and obvious, the thing that i find the strangest is why the change? they used to go out of their way to "program" the public for good. Leave it To beaver and Andy Griffith (Mayberry) and such all taught a lesson on each show of kindness, honesty or sharing and sportsmanship etc.

Movies were ALWAYS geared to the good guy wins and we root for the good guy, no so now most movies cross good and bad and the winner is either neither clearly good or is clearly a criminal who sometimes has some good qualities.

Even commercial taught sharing and team player spirit and not going for the win but for the fun and sport of the game. It has all changed and even the rules preventing showing things deemed not good for children especially during after school, before bed for kids hours are gone, now called censoring.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
How can you see these broadcasts all the way back there in the 1950's?

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
If people can be programmed by a TV, that doesn't make it the show's fault, that just makes them a weak-minded person.

What's the solution? censoring the media even further? While we're at it, let's just change the goal of every new video game to running around and hugging as many people as possible.
edit on 15-8-2013 by Bodhi7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Hmmm the movie the Network predicted this problem in 1976

edit on 15-8-2013 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Does the tail wag the dog? or?

Maybe these types of shows are on the air because people crave them. If a show doesn't get viewers, it doesn't last long. Honey Boo Boo anyone?

Art imitates life imitates art imitates life.....

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

People weren't degenerates before these shows aired?

Please.....

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Video games cure senility.

It seems shoot-to-kill video games have a positive effect on the mental flexibility, concentration, and response times in infants and the elderly. The research team went on to suggest that nursing homes should begin employing the use of gaming consoles to help their patients.

venturebeat.com / Modern Warfare 2 Prevents senility in the elderly

Whereas,
Television destroys relationships.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Television is a passive experience,
all kinds of junk,
and one just sits there with no way to respond.

Video Games allow one to "push back"
and have a stimulating experience.

Mike

edit on 15-8-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

They've even got two teams.

One of them is called "the maulers"
and the other one is called "the killers"

Look at how lively these elderly people look
from this BBC story
who are playing video games.

Mike
edit on 15-8-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

I think there were degenerates before hand, but they didn't have the infrastructure to constantly pander to their every atavistic desire. TV is pretty much garbage at this point. The Discovery Channel is garbage. So's the history channel. I miss the days when The History Channel actually talked about history. I miss hearing about Hitler. It would be a nice change of pace compared to all the "Was Jesus secretly a Reptilian from They Live?", or "Did Aliens Construct the Eiffel Tower?". And Ice Road Truckers. Can't forget Ice Road Truckers, And Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, Police Auction Wars, Police Evidence Room Auction Wars, Funeral Home Stars, 101 Diners that Hitler Ate At, Child Protection Services Auction Wars, And a whole galaxy of awful, entertainmentless garbage.

I got an idea for a television show. A cross between Shark Week, and Pawn Stars.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
Does the tail wag the dog? or?

Maybe these types of shows are on the air because people crave them. If a show doesn't get viewers, it doesn't last long. Honey Boo Boo anyone?

Art imitates life imitates art imitates life....

Does a 5-yr old crave media crap? Or is it pandered to become an acquired taste? And to the butt-hurt videogamers that love to be thrill-seeking badasses from their--or their momma's--couch:

GI/GO--Garbage in, garbage out...works dang near every time. As evidenced by some of the replies here.

Don't get me wrong, I can kick your butt at Halo, jus' sayin"

edit on 15-8-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Having been on the Boards for several years, I can say that YouTube is the art that is programming degeneracy! Half of the people bleating on about "sheeple" are those who stare at YouTube all day becoming a gullible sponge and a repeater of dross.

TV is TV. There's a lot of trash, but also some exceptional TV and I bet the audiences mix. It is crass snobbishness to think that only the enlightened can detect rubbish TV.

Regards

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

So you are saying that you are no influenced by propaganda or advertising or the controlled news loop. That's strange since that means that the industries behind those things must be all working for not.

As for people being weak minded I think that is indisputable that people have been kept in their infantile state during adulthood. Psychologically society are producing ever increasing dependent individuals...

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
How can you see these broadcasts all the way back there in the 1950's?

Television was used to curb behavior since the day they started getting TV into each home. But it seemed they wanted civil rest and not unrest in the beginning of TV and wanted conformity in way that pushed family life and hard work and good behavior. They did know what they were doing it was not an accident.

Things have changed.

The reason our airwaves are saturated with jokes and content centered on fart jokes, private parts, borderline racism, and general trash talk is because it is selling. In the meantime, large numbers of our children, young adults, and older audiences are mimicking what they see and hear because the current 'norm' is selling this behavior as cool or 'chic.' When the conditioned is so intense that these forms of content are considered the norm, anything else seems either bizarre or uninteresting to the average American's attention span that is decreasing by the day.

rense.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Having been on the Boards for several years...

What does you being on the "boards" have to do with it??

TV is TV. There's a lot of trash, but also some exceptional TV and I bet the audiences mix. It is crass snobbishness to think that only the enlightened can detect rubbish TV.

Sure. Good TV. Occasionally. The only "crass snobbishness" I've read here, however, and imo, is your poorly-written and hard-to-understand post.

It seems you consider yourself "enlightened" moreso than any poster here with a statement like that. You forget our children. And, no, I don't just mean your children, or my children, but OUR children. It takes a village to raise one it's been said.

Anyone who doesn't think our media, in ALL its guises, is a poor substitute for knowledge...has probably not only been raised on it, but sits largely in front of it still.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Anti-social, uncivilized, promiscuous or violent behaviors were taboo for the most part. They happened but they were hushed up by a society that strived for middle-class values.

Kill the middle class, kill their values.

How do you kill the middle class? Kill their jobs and corrupt their values through propaganda and social conditioning.

The result? A barbaric, impoverished culture.

How do you manage that?

A police state.

Wag the dog indeed.
edit on 8/15/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Anti-social, uncivilized, promiscuous or violent behaviors were taboo for the most part. They happened but they were hushed up by a society that strived for middle-class values.

Kill the middle class, kill their values.

How do you kill the middle class? Kill their jobs and corrupt their values.

The result? A barbaric, impoverished culture.

How do you manage that?

A police state.

Wag the dog indeed.

And feeding them (us) some rotten brain candy doesn't hurt either. Bread & Circuses.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk

People weren't degenerates before these shows aired?

Please.....

Degeneracy is a downward spiral getting faster and faster as it multiplies. Once one behaviour becomes socially acceptable it's then onto every deviancy within that behaviour. Media is mass indoctrination - it is a pulpit that spews forth a gospel of hate, greed, sex, emotions, lust, murder, violence. My parents never locked their doors, never locked their car doors, never ever feared for their children walking to school. Degeneracy didn't just drop from the sky - people closed their hearts to the gospel of Christ and tuned into the gospel of the beast - aka the beast was given a mouth to speak. Morals and beliefs now come from the biggest pulpit in the world - the mass media.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join