It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SDL2.0 (Stable) release came out but... SFML2.0 is better?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
For those of you that like to develop games, SDL2.0 came out on the 13th and it's quite nice that it's out of the Alpha/Beta stage, don't you agree? However, the lack of Documentation is severely depressing! Now, I get that if you played a lot with SDL1.2 it shouldn't be too big of a deal to pick up 2.0 since you can just look up the new references and formatting methods one-by-one but it takes time, and a lot of it.

Sadly, SDL has always been that way which is why with SDL2.0 I got fed-up with them and just decided to switch over to SFML 2.0 which is basically SDL done right, with some limitations but overall, the source code is provided so the core can be modified at any time should your own toolkit require it.

Now, I just started with SFML 2.0 and I've got to admit this works marvelously and the documentation is robust and very helpful. There are a lot of tutorials, documentations and even video tutorials that go step-by-step and explain things in complete detail and that's something that SDL simply lacked. Of course, I sound like I'm bashing SDL but in reality from what I hear SDL is a lot closer to lower-level programming so it can be more versatile in its own ways, but you can still do so with SFML if you really want to go the extra mile.

But to many, there's war between SDL, SFML and Allegro but they all do what they need to do, but SFML seems to be a lot easier to pick up out of the bunch. Maybe one day I'll find time to write my own libraries but for now, I'll stick with SFML

How about you guys? What do you guys prefer and why's that?
edit on 15-8-2013 by Em2013 because: I'm pretty tired right now, had to clean up some grammar mistakes

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

A link would be nice to know what you are talking about.
What are the two api's you're talking about?

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This is SDL:
www.libsdl.org...

This is SFML:
www.sfml-dev.org...

This is Allegro:
www.allegro.cc... (I'm not sure if this is the official website, I just know the sourceforge website)

I hope this is what you were asking.

join