It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vincent (Starry Starry Night) Don McLean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This music/art video found me this afternoon and wanted to share it here where I know it will be appreciated...

A slideshow of Vincent Van Gogh's work set to the song "Vincent" by Don McLean. It's part of an art and creative writing lesson plan for the patients at Mississippi State Hospital at Whitfield. Compiled by artist Anthony DiFatta, who also suffers from mental illness and teaches art to other adults with mental illness. His work can be found at www.anthonydifatta.net

edit on 8/14/13 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
What Art with a Capital "A," is, can only be personally defined. However, when I look at Vincent's work it grabs me by my soul and I stare, and "grok" a depth that won't easily let me go.

McClean obviously "grokked" it too, because Starry Night has a singular compelling beauty and emotion of it's own. Nice offering, Shells. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Thanks for the post, I love Vincent Van Gogh's work, nicely set to a lovely song by Don McLean

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

Love that song.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Very nice song and art, it's been some time since I heard it.

Summer before last I was at the Chicago museum of art and they had one of VanGogh's smaller, more famous self portraits where he has a straw hat with a beard, anyways it was the 2nd time I've seen it there and they had it crammed in a corner, where people had to crowd in close to see it, but I guess I understand now why.

His work seems so flat on video and photograph, but in person it glows and writhes with energy, it's a creepy effect. View up close on pieces like his smaller self portraits and the brushstrokes are amazing and there is a depth. I can not stress enough how much seeing art like this in person makes a huge difference, I really need to visit more museums!

The 2 pieces I love most by vincent are the Potato Eaters, and his wooden chair with odd perspective. His heavy fluid and surreal linework with very fresh colors has always had an influence on my own art. I consider him one of the greatest artists in oils ever.

Thanks for posting this OP!

edit on 15-8-2013 by Aliquandro because: emphasis!

new topics

top topics

join