It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP sues U.S. alleging abuse of power after 2010 Gulf spill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

BP sues U.S. alleging abuse of power after 2010 Gulf spill

www.rawstory.com

Oil firm BP has filed suit against the US government for banning it from federal contracts after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, documents showed Tuesday.

In a suit filed in federal court in Texas, BP said the ban last year by the US Environmental Protection Agency, which locked it out of new business with the government, surpassed the agency’s authority and constituted an abuse of power.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Not much of a write up at the link, but are you freaking kidding me?

This ties into something much bigger.

Do you all know what the TPP is?

See this thread for more information.

Effectively this allows a foreign company to sue governments for loss of future profits among other things.

BP is now suing for different reasons, but if TPP passed, it could theoretically sue for billions and billions.

I don't' know about you guys, but BP was found to be at fault for the whole fiasco and as leader of the country this happened in, I'd have thrown them out entirely.

It's insulting that they would even contemplate claiming that the government had no right to remove them from the playing field, when they were clearly not playing by the established rule set.

~Tenth

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Hmmm.....

The old restaraunt mantra comes to mind here...

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

edit on 14-8-2013 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
They banned the contracts because they were investigating into safety violations amongst other things. Surly the people at BP can figure that out? I know i wouldn't invest in a company that slacks on safety at the cost of the health of the planet.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
If the TPP is passed the real winners will be the lawyers. Just like the patent trolls there could be a whole new category of "injured corporate" trolls to follow.

No sure of the reasoning behind the governments continuing legal block on new BP projects as they are letting BP's other existing projects continue. Must still be mad at them.

Edit - Ah the old "safety concerns" maneuver. Well, when they finish with BP how about they come up here and check out the nuclear leaks at Hanford.
edit on 14-8-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago

No sure of the reasoning behind the governments continuing legal block on new BP projects as they are letting BP's other existing projects continue. Must still be mad at them.

Tax Revenue.......and back room deals.

The USA is a sinking ship, they dont want to cut their throats financially. That's happening fast enough.
edit on 8/14/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Posted a few days ago in the Deepwater Forum: BP Is Suing For New Contracts After Spill There's a couple of additional links in there.

edit on 14-8-2013 by ATSmediaPRO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

This is ridiculous. We the people are the victims here. If they were trying to repair their reputation here in the US they are failing miserably.

I have noticed many local filling stations switching from BP to other brands. I have certainly changed my purchasing habits when it comes to gasoline.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

I cant go there

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
(benrl has been struck speechless.)
Any comment I would attempt to make on this matter about BP would probably end with an Extreme TOS violation due to profanity, and references to various animals mating habits geared toward bp executives.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The logic of TPP is bassackwards to say the least. If its passed they can sue the government, if their outside influence causes them to deviate negatively, from their "Expected" profit. That could entail military actions causing a part or product to not be available, or OIL.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

I cant go there

Me either, wants a user name and password. Must be a really-really-really secret forum.

ATSmediaPRO what's up with that?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Tinfoil hat time.

Hey congress, you got twenty minutes to sign this. Be quick about it, we got other more important things to get on with.

Is this how they plan to break the USA finally. Through TPP? What a blow a bunch of lawsuits would deal, during sequestration and all. It would really rock us financially.

Maybe Glenn Beck is right after all, maybe we will see massive financial turmoil by November.

If this this passes that is.

Am i following correctly Tenth?
edit on 8/14/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It seems like TPP is already partially in effect. I have no proof of this, there's been no (from what I can gather) legislation passed regarding any part of it. None the less it seems like we passed some kind of exit a while back. BP hasn't even honored it's court ordered financial obligations regarding the spill yet, and they're suing the US government? Oh if I were that judge I think I'd keep a steady supply of gavels to wing at their lawyers heads. Good Lord

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Sorry I had copy and pasted the link from the new site design URL. Should be working fine now.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

OP, as soon as I read your title I thought TPP. The Power behind this deal is horrendous, this will transform the planet. You have Always been a serf, but everyone will know it when this comes into play. Unemployment and poverty will quadriple in the blink of an Eye. With this case comming, Americans need to put aside their differences, bury the hatchett and come together.Talk to everyone you know. Boycott BP and CRIPPLE THEM ! Send the bastards packing! Get some protest's going in front of their stations and draw attension to them, shame them , make BP a bad joke and a thing of the past. I can't Believe that BP is still on American Soil, after what they did and how they handled it. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It's difficult to stomach, the selfish individuals and greedy corporations who put themselves and money before our earth, with all its fragile ecosystems and endangered creatures.

BP wants money, that's all BP has ever been concerned about, is money.

How does the BP oil spill impact wildlife and habitat?
source: www.nwf.org...

edit on 14-8-2013 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'm disturbed by this. I really hope this isn't the financial collapse of the US in the making. Though if it is, its been a long time coming.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Wait! They spilled how many millions of barrels of oil into the gulf?

"Drill, baby drill"

And they blame the US for abuse of power? Seriously? They should be thanking the United States that they didn't allow open season in courtrooms across the gulf for businesses to sue the holy living [snip] out of BP till they were just a bankrupted memory.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
And they blame the US for abuse of power? Seriously? They should be thanking the United States that they didn't allow open season in courtrooms across the gulf for businesses to sue the holy living [snip] out of BP till they were just a bankrupted memory.

That is what i was thinking, but if you pair it with all the money the US would loose on their current contracts you can understand why. This country is hurting bad.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join