It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Ted Cruz run for president?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Here we go again. 3 years off before the next presidential election and we are seeing the lines drawn already. I find it funny that the left is subtly taking the "birther" stance targeting Ted Cruz already. Still as with Obama it is still a valid question. Is Ted Cruz a "Natural born American?" Here's how the CIA News Network (CNN) handles the question.

Washington (CNN) -- While the issue of President Barack Obama's birth has long been settled, and it's a moot point anyway since he's in his second term in office, there remain some people who won't be convinced.

CNN Source

Really, just because he showed an alleged Photoshopped long form birth certificate, refuses all access to college transcripts, etc that might show him as a foreign student CNN says Obama citizenship is settled. So what about Ted Cruz?

With Ted Cruz, there is no conspiracy. He wasn't born in the United States.

Ted Cruz says

"My mother was born in Wilmington, Delaware. She's a U.S. citizen, so I'm a U.S. citizen,"

However his father was not an American

His father, a preacher who has delivered stem-winding speeches of his own, has since become an American. But at the time of Ted's birth in Canada, he was a Cuban émigré working for an oil company.

So the Congressional Research Service has drawn up a 50 page report on this very topic and came up with this.

"The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term "natural born" citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "by birth" or "at birth," either by being born "in" the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at birth."
Source
However it does not answer this question.

It does not specifically deal with the issue of someone born outside the United States to one American parent. But if Cruz could claim citizenship at birth, according to the argument, he could claim to be natural born.

Is Cruz anymore qualified (legally) to be president than Obama? Personally it seems doubtful to me and would like to see an (unmodified) US birth certificate from anyone running for president. I'm not saying he isn't now a naturalized citizen but it doesn't appear he is a "natural born" citizen of the US.

If he was born in Canada as indicated then his Canadian birth certificate should immediately disqualify him from running for president. So ATS what say you?

edit on 14-8-2013 by Bassago because: typo

edit on 14-8-2013 by Bassago because: add CRS source

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I guess we will see how many hypocrites there are.

Cruz has two strikes against him, he wasn't born on US Soil and his father wasn't a citizen...two things that Birthers screamed about with Obama.

I personally think he is eligible if he has been a citizen since birth. And I would actually support removing the ridiculous "natural born citizen" language from the requirements and just replace it with "citizen for x years".

We aren't under threat of England hijacking our government anymore, antiquated ideas need to die at some point.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I think for most Liberals and Democrats, a Ted Cruz nomination by the GOP in 2016 would be the best Christmas wish ever.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienScience

I personally think he is eligible if he has been a citizen since birth. And I would actually support removing the ridiculous "natural born citizen" language from the requirements and just replace it with "citizen for x years".

If he was born on US soil he would be as much a citizen as any anchor baby. My only concern is that he is Canadian by birth. Why would his mothers citizenship take priority over the fathers? We'll have to disagree on the "citizen for x years" issue. I'd prefer any president to have been born a US citizen.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago

If he was born on US soil he would be as much a citizen as any anchor baby. My only concern is that he is Canadian by birth. Why would his mothers citizenship take priority over the fathers? We'll have to disagree on the "citizen for x years" issue. I'd prefer any president to have been born a US citizen.

What advantage does it give someone if they were born on US soil or if they happened to be born somewhere else and grew up in the United States?

I wouldn't have a problem with someone who came here as a young adult and became a citizen becoming President.

I just don't see why people are obsessed with the geographical location of someones birth.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I don't know who Ted Cruz is. It doesn't matter

If your not born on US soil, or in land owned by the US abroad(army base and the like), or both of your parents are not natural born citizens when abroad(new since 2011), then your not a natural born citizen.
As far as the constitution is concerned, you need to be a natural citizen
you need to be born on US soil.

I would say since both parents weren't US citizens, nor was he born in a US jurisdiction area or soil, then no, he is not a natural born citizen.

But I am not a constitutional lawyer. Just reading it how it sits.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

In all honesty I'll admit to this being just how I feel about it. While doubtful (probably nonexistent) that some foreign aristocracy would attempt a takeover with a naturalize citizen we are seeing the world become more intertwined with its citizens. Personally I'd like my president to be a natural born citizen.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

What advantage does it give someone if they were born on US soil or if they happened to be born somewhere else and grew up in the United States?

I wouldn't have a problem with someone who came here as a young adult and became a citizen becoming President.

I just don't see why people are obsessed with the geographical location of someones birth.

Its not a problem people have psychologically, it is strictly a legal thing.
It is arguably a outdated rule, but it is still a rule in effect at the moment. The rule was established to make sure the highest office wasn't open to foreign interest corruption. So, you didn't have someone move over from say, France, spend a few years in the US, and then through charisma and promising everyone a chicken and 4 acres, become potus without issue.

But I agree with your view. I personally believe that this rule should be updated to a % clause. Someone born outside the US but came here as a baby and grew up an American their whole life, and has proven their national identity to be an American, should be considered on equal footing with native born.

Rules are rules until then though...and suggesting the constitution to be changed and it may not be perfect will make the collective heads of some purists simply explode.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Actually his mother is a US citizen. He was born in Canada and his father was not a US citizen.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

"The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term "natural born" citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "by birth" or "at birth," either by being born "in" the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at birth."

Anyone else notice how the 'accepted' definition is getting more and more broad with less and less to actually point to in any specific way?

Now you can be born abroad and just have American parents? Wow.... That wasn't the standard John McCain saw when he was tested by the Senate on his ability to serve for being born in the Canal Zone. I think his parents go without comment for American status. lol.....

Everything is being watered down to the point of meaningless. I don't know if Cruz is qualified at this point or not..and to be honest, I'm not sure even HE does with all the interpreting going on for political expediency.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

In all honesty I'll admit to this being just how I feel about it. While doubtful (probably nonexistent) that some foreign aristocracy would attempt a takeover with a naturalize citizen we are seeing the world become more intertwined with its citizens. Personally I'd like my president to be a natural born citizen.

Ok, so what prevents a foreign aristocracy from playing the long game and just having a child born here but raised to be loyal to them?

I just don't understand that paranoia in this day and age.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Anyone else notice how the 'accepted' definition is getting more and more broad with less and less to actually point to in any specific way?

Now you can be born abroad and just have American parents? Wow.... That wasn't the standard John McCain saw when he was tested by the Senate on his ability to serve for being born in the Canal Zone. I think his parents go without comment for American status. lol.....

Everything is being watered down to the point of meaningless. I don't know if Cruz is qualified at this point or not..and to be honest, I'm not sure even HE does with all the interpreting going on for political expediency.

Its not really being watered down, its being defined.
The original clause in the constitution was not specific...ultimately the founders seemingly meant if its not like in Georgia or the like, then your not citizens
Then things came about, such as..well, what about army wives abroad on base...what about embassy workers, what about a couple on vacation in backwoods argentina whom went to a military doctor for labor, etc.

They need to stop, erase the whole clause, and start again..this time, consider the future...what happens if a kid is born in space to American couples? what about on mars? etc...

I personally think loyalty and time trumps location as a newborn.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Ok, so what prevents a foreign aristocracy from playing the long game and just having a child born here but raised to be loyal to them?

When your born in 'Murica, the soil gives a automatic immunity against any corruption or sin, unlike the rest of the world and their filthy corruption soil.
only has a 12 second window for the soul to absorb the natural immunities of the land.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

Actually his mother is a US citizen. He was born in Canada and his father was not a US citizen.

Yes, in the new clause, both have to be citizens if abroad
Doesn't qualify

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The rule was established to make sure the highest office wasn't open to foreign interest corruption.

Who needs foreign interest, hey?

I wonder how many Presidents have been "bought" with influence. I would think the majority.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I thought it was already settled that Cruz is eligible?

ATHENA JONES, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Hi, Wolf. The big question here is whether Ted Cruz is a natural-born citizen.

I spoke with several constitutional law experts about this today. And all of them believe that Cruz is. But it's important to know the Constitution doesn't define who is a natural-born citizen. And those are the only people eligible to run for president. Also I should add the Supreme Court has never ruled on this issue. (The Situation Room, August 13, 2013)

Link

I don't think there's anymore to this than there was to Obama's. Good grief here we go again.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The rule was established to make sure the highest office wasn't open to foreign interest corruption.

Who needs foreign interest, hey?

I wonder how many Presidents have been "bought" with influence. I would think the majority.

Yeah. At this point I'm more worried about domestic influence.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Its really a joke, hey?

Well..... Im going to vote independent. If only everyone voted this way. Hillary? Nope. Biden? Nope. Cruz? Nope. I just cant see any of these "do nothings", politically influenced, bought and paid for Politicians fixing anything. For those who sit and gripe about how bad you have it? Change it.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I'm with ya, let's start a movement!

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Nothing prevents them. As far as paranoia it isn't that. I am a nationalist not a globalist, that's all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join