It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alright ATS, you owe me....Taking a trip to Washington DC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
So I have contributed my useless opinions more often than not and I have probably contributed less than most to this website but on occassion I have looked (reluctantly) at some of your advertisers so I'm now asking the coommunity for some payback...

I'm taking the family on a vacation and we are looking to go to Washington D.C. in a few months..I will be departing from Boston so I'm basically looking for those who can contribute to a well deserved trip for the family and I.

Would appreciate thoughts around sightseeing..places to stay and possible things or places to look out for when traveling to Washington...I will be going with wife and two kids who are under the age of 8....oh the fun of it and I will be driving...

Thanks folks

edit on 13-8-2013 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

A trip to DC eh? Well, I would imagine you will visit national monuments, zoos, and museums. What else is there in DC?

15 Best Places to Go with Kids in the Washington DC Area

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I'm aware of the regular sites but someone on ATS might have some inside tips on what to do, times to see stuff etc...would love some thoughts on nice places to stay..I can certainly look on line for information but nothing like getting information from some reliable sources...capiche
edit on 13-8-2013 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Are you driving to DC? If so I would also look into what's outside of DC too. I got nothing but hopefully other members can provide some info. Good luck to ya!

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Sadly, we are driving..thanks

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

One word. ... ..

Smithsonian.

If you are going to there on vacation for a couple of months that will give you nearly enough time to see the Institute in its entirety.

If you are going to go up in the Washington Monument, you need to get your tickets at about 7am. they go quick.

Stay off of the side streets. Unfortunately, with children you might be an easy target.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

...If you are going to go up in the Washington Monument, you need to get your tickets at about 7am. they go quick.

Sadly, the Washington Monument is still closed for repairs due to an earthquake on August 23, 2011.

Washington Monument Closed:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

It has been a couple of years since I was there. I had also forgotten about the earthquake.

But then, you might think that they would have had it repaired by now.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I was just there a couple of weeks ago with the family for a Nationals game. My oldest son (11) was dying to see China town for some reason so, we went and had dinner there. I wouldn't recommend going after dark....the metro station right before you enter china town was a bit seedy to say the least.

It's a small area so you won't be able to spend a ton of time there but, other than the homeless people we encountered, the kids seemed to really enjoy the difference of scenery.

Oh, and if you have the time/inclination/funds to take in a Nationals game....I recommend it. We had an amazing time! Plus, they didn't suck that game so it was a bonus.

Good luck driving....the traffic is horrible and parking is expensive.

Let us know how the trip goes.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Cool! I worked in Washington DC for a few months. Do all the tourist stuff of course like visiting the monuments etc but I recommend going to the Irish pub/restaurant in China Town called 'The Irish Channel', very friendly staff and a nice atmosphere

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Dip down into Virginia. Washington, Jefferson, and Madison's homes are there, lots of Civil War sites like Manassas. Jamestown and Williamsburg are very worthwhile. And the Marine museum at Quantico is awesome. All not very far from DC.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I LOVE DC! Well, the good parts. LOL!

The Dupont Circle is an awesome area to stay- I've always stayed there. It's very beautiful and quaint. A quick walk to the metro which will take you to the Mall with all the monuments and federal buildings.

You have to see the Smithsonian. Also, I got a kick out of Embassy row. Pop on over to Arlington, too. It's very powerful.

So many magical memories there.

I once dated a young man there and I remember us kissing on the Potomac at one of the memorials in the evening spring breeze while the trees were blossoming and hardly anyone was around. Then I went with my brother once and got a kick out of all the yankees teasing him over his cowboy gear and screaming 'Yeehaw!' at us wherever we went. haha

I'm all nostalgic now and very jealous.

new topics

top topics

join