It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

De-Extinction coming soon to a zoo near you???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I was listening on the radio today to TED talks. The guy they had on was a leading scientist. He said that within the next few decades they likely will bring back some extinct animals. All kinds of ones like:

Do do bird
Sabertooth Tiger
Woolly Mamoth
Carrier Pigeon

and many more. I kinda like this idea. Especially ones that could easily multiply like the Carrier Pigeon. Went extinct in 1914. Why not just bring it back and set it loose. That would be a great idea. Some of the bigger game might only have a chance in wild life sanctuaries most likely. But that's an idea too.

I just think it's a good idea. What do you think?

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Awesome. Set them free, then we can cull them back into extinction again when they start to disrupt the balance of the ecosystem again.

Is it a good idea? Yes and no.
To be brought back and put into a Zoo is one thing, but I think some real concideration and research needs to be done to find out exactly WHY a species went extinct, as well as how it will effect the current non-extinct species if they were released.

As awesome as this would be (I know I would die to see a live Saber Tooth) we have to remember that we are still noobs when it comes to genetics.

At any rate, I eagerly await my trip to the Zoo to see a Saber Tooth.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I think it's a kind of heart and head situation. in most of our hearts we all would love an ideal world, as in all the cute little animals free and happy wandering at will here and there that's nice. but we have already got a long list of species that are in danger of extintion, and thats with protection, we find it hard to bring their species back up to sustainable numbers. to bring back a lot of animals that are extinct and plonk them around the globe to roam free, what with farmland evermore stressed producing crops for an overpopulated planet and these animals on the loose and probably causing loss and damage to the aformentioned crops and stock. I don't know if its a good idea. then of course you could put them in zoo's and parks, but that is jailing them for no crime. to bring them back to lock them away and deprived of their natural freedom is not right either. perhaps we should leave well alone for now.,,,,,, it's just not the right time. maybe we will find a new planet with the ingredients for life as we know it. and we could reincarnate them and let them loose there,,,

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
man should never play creator. that's all i gotta say.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

To quote Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park, ". . .your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Okay, messenger pigeon I can dig on, but saber tooth cats? Mammoths? I don't know. We know little about these animals save their remains. Just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we invested energy on interstellar space travel/cures/homelessness/starvation?

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I believe the Dodo and kiwi would be great examples of animals that can be revived. We hunted them to extinction.

However, animals like the wooly mammoth....their time has come and gone.

We have an issue in North America that we have eliminated the predators to a large extent. This means that we have to do the hunting on their behalf. It is what has caused hog populations to explode in Texas.

I expect that hogs will be moved off the "exotic" category soon.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I think (we) have to be very careful when we make the decision to fool with mother nature.

Man has now reached the Age of Endangerment. An age where technology has surpassed
our ability to understand fully the ramifications of its utility.

At a time when we should be proceeding with extreme caution we are rushing headlong.
The Atomic Age brought us Man's greatest achievement--the ability to annihilate himself.
We are now in the process of manipuating the genome with little effort or care taken
to understand what consequences these actions may hold in the near or far future.

If we are not careful our greatest achievements may lead to our greatest downfall.

Like learning to climb to the uppermost branches of a tree without the wisdom to
know NOT to jump

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I think this is a bad idea peroid. There are way too many unknowns concerning the evolution of this occurance. Will these animals will alter our food chain? can these animals harbor any diseases which don't exist in today's animal chemistry? will people try to keep them as pets?( you know someone will). I can see the headline now:

:Man eaten by his pet Saber-tooth Tiger."

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by denybedoomed

To quote Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park, ". . .your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Okay, messenger pigeon I can dig on, but saber tooth cats? Mammoths? I don't know. We know little about these animals save their remains. Just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we invested energy on interstellar space travel/cures/homelessness/starvation?

Scientists don't really care at all. While 50% of them start discussing the ethics of doing it, the other 50% will go ahead and do it as they want to be one of the first to say they did it

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

I can see by your avatar that you're one of the animals they resurrected right?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Ya true. But I think at some point the ability to tinker with this stuff at home will become so cheap that anyone can do it. I think you could do a lot of this stuff with any high school level lab almost.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
For show in captivity, with great care taken in matching their environment? Sure.

For reintroduction to the wild...no, bad idea.

Also from Jurassic Park, "How do you know anything about an extinct eco-system?"

So, they'll have to take great care in such animals' captivity environment. Wooly Mammoths for example, will need to be in a very cold area.

Would be damn cool though.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
If they brought back a sabre-toothed pig, would it be Jurassic Pork?

Tread cautiously, people.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You don't want to bring back your great uncle Sy?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by beezzer

You don't want to bring back your great uncle Sy?

Actually a portrait of my mother-in-law.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What the hell is THAT thing? Don't bring THAT back....no sir....

new topics

top topics

join