It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fracking splits public opinion down the middle, poll finds. UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
A national ICM survey commissioned by the Guardian has found that 40% of people would support hydraulic fracturing in their local area and 40% would oppose it.

David Cameron is likely to face resistance from voters if he aggressively pursues fracking for shale gas, new polling by the Guardian indicates.
Four in 10 people would welcome hydraulic fracturing – used to extract hard-to-reach natural gas – in their area but just as many people would oppose it, a national ICM survey commissioned by the Guardian has found. About a fifth of voters are undecided. Worryingly for Cameron, the research suggests undecided voters could harden against fracking if it is planned for their community. That is because when asked if fracking should take place in the UK, a near-majority – 44% of respondents – say yes, with 30% saying no and 26% undecided. But when the question changes to whether fracking should be allowed near their homes, a large number of people quickly make up their minds – the number opposed rises to 40%, with the number in favour declining slightly to 40%.

Regionally, the most pronounced difference between support for and opposition to fracking is in the north, where 45% favour fracking and 28% are against. The north-west – not the north-east, as Lord Howell had it when he suggested fracking could take place in "desolate" areas – has been the main focus of fracking in the UK to date, particularly the Bowland shale geological formation under Lancashire.

Is it just me or do the results of this poll seem 'wrong'. How can so many people be for fracking?

I suppose its not that surprising when a lot of the media has been downplaying the effects of fracking and playing up the 'cheaper bills' nonsense, the poll results could have been worse considering that.

Two small earthquakes in Lancashire were linked to Cuadrilla's operations there and yet more than a quarter of people in the region are down as 'undecided'.

What is wrong with people?

Link
edit on 13-8-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

There seems to be a lot of propaganda around fracking.

IMHO, the truth is somewhat elusive on this subject.

However, without a few long term, unbiased studies, I think it should be halted for the time being.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

It may be that a lot of this flip flopping is due to Lord Howell's "let's frack the desolate areas." Also the Brits have their PM David Cameron hammering on them big time.

David Cameron has insisted the UK should accept fracking, claiming the controversial method of extracting gas will attract "real public support" when the benefits are explained.

He goes on to tell them

"If we don't back this technology, we will miss a massive opportunity to help families with their bills and make our country more competitive.

"Even if we only see a fraction of the impact shale gas has had in America, we can expect to see lower energy prices in this country
Source

I don't know about anyone else in the US but fracking hasn't help my energy bill in the least.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Cameron doesn't know the public he represents let alone understand public support - Cousin of Queen Madge why should he be concerned with public support?

The propoganda maching is whirring out of control on this one. I can't understand how it is we supposedly have, according to one source: massive reserves of oil /gas in the North of England yet we trial dig/frack in the South of England in the posh green belt of Balcombe. You couldn't get more middle England if you tried - I know, my Cousin lives there. Another source said that England sits on the biggest reserves of gas in the world.

Now in America we hear already the people are benefitting from cheap oil etc from fracking. But in England we won't benefit despite whatever size our reserves actually are, because there are 'different interests involved' so the public might get a few pence off their fuel but, being England, a few rich people only will grab the big money.

Personally I would be delighted to sever our dependency on Saudi and Russia or whomever it is that supplies us and I would love to see this country go back to being as close to self-sufficiency as possible. However I don't really know whether fracking will destabalize the land near peoploe's homes and businesses. I know we have had two mini earthquakes but we do have some fault lines and the weather, quakes etc are all out of kilter now. I would like to know that it is safe to use.

The thing about polls in the UK is that even when I lived in London, I would read this poll says etc etc but I have never met anyone who has actually been polled and would like to know whether these polls actually take place or whether they are part of a machanism our Government uses simply to tell us what we would like etc.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shiloh7
reply to post by Bassago

Cameron doesn't know the public he represents let alone understand public support - Cousin of Queen Madge why should he be concerned with public support?

The propoganda maching is whirring out of control on this one.

Yeah, I read the Guardian and Telegraph everyday and that's my take on Cameron as well. The public support is probably needed to swing things they way his close buddies and lobbyists require. That's why the propaganda machine is in full swing.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I wish we could have a party to vote for that hasn't been infiltrated by Cameron's cronies, lobbyists and the tiny % of the ultra-rich.

I would like to see people financed by the public pocket and not vested interest parties who call the shots.

I am watching fracking with interest but know already that its being set up only for that small % to get their share of the profits away from the public. I think the position of the Crown owning all the land etc is not something desirable when they are funded from the public purse. Knowing the results of depleted uranium weapons and that our Madge owns so much of the uranium deposits shows an unhealthy attitude of money before suffering from a ruling monarch. It could be a repeat with fracking were it in anyway a threat to public health.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
the part he says helping families wit thier bills i think is bs...

In southwest pa where they are fraking big time... All the oil they get out of the ground here goes over seas... the locals dont see any of it... so be weary of things with this fraking cause chances are it really isnt to help you, its to help others get rich...
edit on 8/16/2013 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Personally, I don't believe a word Cameron says. He is a liar. A confidence trickster. He neither knows nor cares what public opinion is or wants. He hears public opinion, then blatantly ignores it. He only hears and cares what his rich buddies want.

The fact that Cameron is sounding fanfares for this fracking lark is enough to suspect his motives no matter what garbage comes out of his mouth IMO. 'Helping families with their bills' - my arse. What does he care or know about British families and their bills? He neither has no interest in, nor any intention of, and has done nothing about, lifting families out of poverty in this country - but rather he is the one responsible for putting and keeping them there, while his chums get fatter and richer.

Unless by some miracle he has evolved a spark of conscience, why would he change now?

Q. How do you know when Cameron is lying?
A. His mouth moves.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

The people may be split on opinion at the moment, bribed with jobs and the idea (note; only the idea) of the MSM reported 'massive energy bill cuts' that 'might' happen as a result of this fracking, but once the Earth tremors start and people have to have windows left continuously open so gas leaking from the water pipes doesn't build up and blow their families to little bits, i think the anti's will then be well in the majority against.

Will probably be too late to stop it by then though.

top topics

join