It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Safe Act requires Onondaga County to release many pistol permit holders names, state official say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

NY Safe Act requires Onondaga County to release many pistol permit holders names, state official says

The same law that lets pistol permit holders keep their names private might also require Onondaga County to make public the names of up to 40,000 permit holders.

Robert Freeman, the state's top open government official, said today a provision of the NY Safe Act adopted in January would require the county to release the names of permit holders who have not filed forms asking for privacy.

Sheriff Kevin Walsh said the county has 40,000 to 50,000 pistol permit holders. About 10,000 of those have filed papers asking that their names not be made public, he said.

I'm wondering how many counties will follow Onondaga County in releasing the names? I live in Madison County, only minutes to the East, I wonder how long it will be till my name appears on a list?

Walsh said Monday the county had received a request from online company emerges.com for the names and addresses of all pistol permit holders. Walsh said then that the county might not have to release those names, however, because emerges.com sells lists of sports enthusiasts to private businesses.

The NY Safe Act says that except for permit holders who have filed a form asking their names be kept private, "the name and address of any person to whom an application for any license has been granted shall be a public record."

This will be interesting to follow over the next couple of weeks. Stay Tuned!

Walsh said Monday he was waiting for an opinion from the state sheriff's association to decide whether to release the names. He could not be reached for comment today.

I followed the comments below the article. I thought the following comment was intriguing...

The name and address of every person making a FOIL request should also be made public.

NY SAFE Act
edit on 13-8-2013 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Sad thing is many people here on ATS will think its a good thing.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

Additionally, not only will criminals know which houses contains firearms, they will now know which houses do not firearms. This provision will light up houses like a beacon!

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Is there is anyway the rest of the United States could start a petition to banish New York from the rest of the Union?

Everyday I read about they tyrannical practices that go on there. Their laws, their policies go against everything that I believe the USA stands for.
edit on 13-8-2013 by jrod because: abc

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Amazing that after that paper created the "permit holders map" and people with protective orders came out and people with out of date info complained and at least one burglary was directly connected to the map and after the editor who chose to make the map got canned there's anybody out there who would still think this is a good idea.

We're supposed to learn from the past, right? Oh, I know. What we learn is "this time it'll be different" but we just keep doing the same stupid # over and over.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

That's what the gun control groups don't think about or they will just say call the police. Nobody needs to know who has a gun inside their own home its a very deadly game these people are playing.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is how they skirt the controversial gun owner database issue, they pass laws that take advantage of existing databes which is exactly why I will never get my Texas CHL.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Is there is anyway the rest of the United States could start a petition to banish New York from the rest of the Union?

Upstate New Yorkers ask this very question everyday. The opinions of New Yorkers does not reflect the rest of the state, unfortunately, we know how these low-life creep politicians get re-elected term after term.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
reply to post by thesaneone

Additionally, not only will criminals know which houses contains firearms, they will now know which houses do not firearms. This provision will light up houses like a beacon!

This is a great point. Not only that, but the people that usually go through the trouble of getting a permit and holding a gun legally, usually aren't the ones you need to worry about.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I like the sound of that. Smart crooks will check to see who owns permits, totally avoid them, and will tend to hit registered democrats. Sounds like a win-win to me.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Sheriff Kevin Walsh said the county has 40,000 to 50,000 pistol permit holders. About 10,000 of those have filed papers asking that their names not be made public, he said.

Link (emphasis added)

Playing the role of contrarian:

The option to remain anonymous was only exercised by 1/4 or 1/5th of the permit holders. Are the rest indifferent ? Uninformed ?

Can this be corrected simply by permit holders filing the necessary paperwork ?

edit on 13-8-2013 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-8-2013 by UmbraSumus because: double check & add thought

edit on 13-8-2013 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Wait a moment, can somebody explain why the county have to release the names of pistol holders to an online private company? one thing is to comply with state regulations but data mining for propaganda purposes?, is this legal?, what this private company had to do with the safe act just passed.

I am confuse with this

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

This shows THE main reason permits as a whole are bad things. All they are is lists to allow someone to come and take the guns.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

wow what a stupid assed i know i am going to het bleeped but it is stupid assed thing for a county to do. think about it you get a permit so you as a law abiding citizen can purchase a firearm now the county is saying look betty sue has a gun and bob and steve now all the crooks got to do is wait for you to leave them break in because they know you got a gun they can get. way to keep fire arms out of the wrong hands ny state gov. all this just because somebody wants to target owners with adds really when did gov get in the advertisement industry.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

My best guess is either they are unaware of the option, or generally apathetic, most likely they might be older and less active in firearm politics, or politics as a whole.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I am aware of this. At least NYC should be its own state if nothing else. It is not fair that they decide your elections.

top topics

join