It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Feds Let "Whitey" Get Away with Murder - A racially inflammatory headline?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The Feds Let ‘Whitey’ Get Away With Murder

FBI agents and other officials protected James "Whitey" Bulger as he roamed free for decades. Is there a statute of limitations on corrupting the system?

By Mike Barnicle Aug. 12, 2013

Read more: ideas.time.com...

First, I am not stupid, I know the guys first name is Whitey.

However, by Time using this headline I think they are fanning the flames of racism.

This gives the black mobs who are routinely targeting white people for beatings and killings in the name of "justice" for something the victims didn't even do, a clear rationale for doing so.

Do you think headlines like this incite racism and the beatings of innocent white victims at the hands of black mobs acting like the KKK of the past?
edit on 13-8-2013 by grandmakdw because: spelling

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Nobody's fanning any racism flames, don't be a nitwit. The guy's nickname is Whitey, and that's what he's known by. If no one's heard of Whitey Bulger by now they're living their lives under a rock, hands down.

If anyone's fanning racism flames, it's you by trying to say someone is.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
Nobody's fanning any racism flames, don't be a nitwit. The guy's nickname is Whitey, and that's what he's known by. If no one's heard of Whitey Bulger by now they're living their lives under a rock, hands down.

I disagree.

Mr. Bulger is a local story, not a national one. I read national news regularly and have/had no idea who he was. I don't live in an area with the type of Mob that he is associated with.

The headline can easily be misinterpreted by anyone outside of the influence of Mr. Bulger's Mob, as saying a white person got away with murder.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I second that argument. People are always looking for a way to put race in everything. Nitwit is putting it mildly. I think I prefer jackwagon.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by grandmakdw

I disagree.

Mr. Bulger is a local story, not a national one. I read national news regularly and have/had no idea who he was. I don't live in an area with the type of Mob that he is associated with.

The headline can easily be misinterpreted by anyone outside of the influence of Mr. Bulger's Mob, as saying a white person got away with murder.

Do you live in a cave? Just exactly what 'national' news are you reading?
edit on 13-8-2013 by ratcals because: Added question mark

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

Yes, it is a headlines timed to take advantage of the GZ/TM case fallout.

Why hold your nose at the stench of major media after this? It has been a rotting corpse for awhile now.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Are people that desperate to bring racism out? this clearly shows some group of people require racism to fuel their life.

I seen person named "Black" who was black, also seen black person named "White".

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I disagree.

What? No, it is not just some random local story, holy crap. The man was a crime boss, a BIG ONE. I've heard of him my entire life, and I live in Florida, not New England. I've got friends as far as Edmonton who are quite familiar with his mob legacy. What the frick, local story??

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Fox

CNN

NBC

Are these national enough for you? Sorry if they're not part of the beloved beforeitsnews page.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I live in Namibia, deepest, darkest Africa and even I know who he is, apparently we all live on a different planet to the OP!

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
If it's just a local story why is CNN, St. Louis news, National "primetime" news aALL covering it?

Whitey Bulger has been on the most wanted list for decades and I can't believe that nobody outside of Boston has heard of him.

I believe the movie "The Departed" was based in part on him, too.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Local story.

I suppose only the people of Dallas know JFK is dead? That explains why we've heard nothing from him in 50 years. It all makes sense now.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Ok, ok, but I still had never paid attention to who he was, his name meant nothing to me, and I bet it means nothing to a large number of americans. I guess the people who would be called low information voters, and you may count me in on low information on this point.

However, why didn't they use his full name in the headline, or the term mobster?

The headline simply reads:

Suppose you are a low information person, probably the vast majority of Americans. How would you read this headline without reading the article? It is clearly a racist headline.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Suppose you are a low information person, probably the vast majority of Americans. How would you read this headline without reading the article? It is clearly a racist headline.

If you're 'low information' then you probably didn't see that headline either.

Daily Mail

This is being reported everywhere. I can't imagine how anyone could possibly be that clueless.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Okay, I'll concede that if you are a very, very uninformed person you may misconstrue that headline as being racially charged. That is as long as you will concede you are also probably one of the millions of uninformed voters responsible for electing, not once, but twice the moron who currently resides in the White House.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Ok, ok, but I still had never paid attention to who he was, his name meant nothing to me, and I bet it means nothing to a large number of americans. I guess the people who would be called low information voters, and you may count me in on low information on this point.

However, why didn't they use his full name in the headline, or the term mobster?

The headline simply reads:

I think you're going to have a very difficult time finding an American who doesn't know the name, and doesn't pair it with Bulger. You might have better luck with someone in a far-flung corner of a 3rd world country that doesn't have much internet or news access yet (ha, good luck) The fact that you think this is racist based on an assumption that his moniker is THAT unknown well, this is all I've got at this point

. . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,]
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.]
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .[.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,], .~”; /. .. .]
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .]. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . ].>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

Trust me there are a huge number of people who do not know who he is.

That is NOT the issue

The issue is, is the headline racist?

If you simply read the headline, I say it is racist.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
When I was a kid I had a toy orange stuffed dog that I named "Orangey". I guess that makes me a racist too.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Ok, lets pretend there is a Black Panther famous leader known as "Blackie" Jones.

If you saw the headline:

The feds let 'Blackie" get away with murder.

Would you consider that a racist headline?

Whitey is now a derogatory term for White person, a currently quite racist term. The same as blackie is a very racist term.

Did not the author of the headline at a magazine at Time not know this was a racist and currently inflammatory word? The headline DOES come across as blatantly racist.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Then IMO those people don't matter and only validate my argument regarding how uninformed the American public are. If your only new source is Facebook then you're an idiot. I will admit I am somewhat of a news whore, but I think most people either don't watch the news or are only getting it from one source.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join