It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit hits N.C. as soon as voter ID bill approved

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

North Carolina Gov. Patrick McCrory has signed a sweeping voting reform bill that imposes strict photo identification requirements on the state's 4.5 million voters, rolls back the early voting period and repeals one-stop registration during early voting. Almost immediately following the signing, a coalition of civil rights group filed a lawsuit in federal court challenging the law.

The lawsuit seeks relief under Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act, which bans voting procedures that discriminate on the basis of race, and under the 14th and 15th amendments of the Constitution. The recent Supreme Court ruling limited reviews under formulas in Sections 4 and 5 of the VRA.

I agree with Voter ID laws. I believe in this day and age it makes sense to secure our election system in such a way. I do not understand how this can be construed as racist. It's not racist to require ID for driving, its not racist to require ID to purchase a firearm, its not racist to require ID for alcohol and tobacco sales. So why is it racist in this situation?

The bill even states that all you need is a state ID which will be provided for free. The nation has already accepted that the requirement for ID is not a burden in regards to exercising your rights (2nd Amendment). So how is this racism?

Linky
edit on 12-8-2013 by XTexan because: add link

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The reason why they are calling it racist isn't the ID itself but rather they shortened the number of days that the people can vote early.

In 2012 in North Carolina, Democrats cast 47 percent of the early votes and Republicans cast 32 percent, according to a CBS News analysis.

Calling the reforms discriminatory, the Advancement Project said 70 percent of black North Carolinians who voted did so during early voting in 2012.

But the op is right in this day and age there is no reason for not having a state ID.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Stupid people. What the heck does it have to do with RACE!?!?!?!?!?!

Not a darn thing. Sheeple Americans, you'll be voting for your doom anyways.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I somewhat I agree with having to show an ID to vote BUT that is not the only thing in this law

This bill also reduces early voting by a week,
Eliminates same day registration
Ends pre-registration for 16-17 year olds
Eliminates an annual state sponsored voter registration drive

Those things are aimed at reducing the amount of people that vote, and as we all know the less people that vote then the better it is for Republicans

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I understand what they're saying, but why does that make the law racist? The law applies to all people, black, white, purple, male, female, hermaphrodites, everyone equally. Why do they claim one race to be affected more than others by a law that affects everyone equally? The law even stipulates that the polls will be open for the same amount of hours as before, just more hours per day.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

What the heck does it have to do with RACE!?!?!?!?!?!

Because most of the black people are voting in the early voting which they are cutting back, duh.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Like many others, I'm all for Voter ID. It would (or at least should) help with the many instances of fraud that occur on both sides every election season. My favorites are the zombie voters. You know, the recently dead that climb out of their graves to fill out their ballots before sauntering off back to their caskets.

That being said...

Every other part of this legislation should be contested. In this technological age, we should be broadening the ways in which people can vote, not narrowing them.

edit on 12-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
reply to post by buster2010

I understand what they're saying, but why does that make the law racist? The law applies to all people, black, white, purple, male, female, hermaphrodites, everyone equally. Why do they claim one race to be affected more than others by a law that affects everyone equally? The law even stipulates that the polls will be open for the same amount of hours as before, just more hours per day.

Because that's all they have the tried and true race card but they never seem to play when everyone is required to show ID to purchase a firearm.

Manufactured outrage is what they are all about.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
I somewhat I agree with having to show an ID to vote BUT that is not the only thing in this law

This bill also reduces early voting by a week,
Eliminates same day registration
Ends pre-registration for 16-17 year olds
Eliminates an annual state sponsored voter registration drive

Those things are aimed at reducing the amount of people that vote, and as we all know the less people that vote then the better it is for Republicans

I see what your saying here, that said let me say the following:

"early voting"

varying time restraints against our rights have been upheld against other rights, such as the 2nd amendment. not racism in that case... it applies to everyone and does not apply a burden to any one race in particular.

"same day registration"

Most states these days do not allow you to excessive your 2nd amendment right on the same day, again not racism... it applies to everyone and does not apply a burden to any one race in particular.

"pre-registration"

I agree, this should be allowed. It may be a bad law, but its not racist... it applies to everyone and does not apply a burden to any one race in particular.

"state sponsored drive"

There are no state sponsored drives for any other rights that we have so I don't see that as a problem, and once again not racist as it applies to everyone and does not apply a burden to any one race in particular.

There are several reasons to be against some of these items, but I do not see in any way how race has anything to do with it. Even if you say that the people who passed the laws are racist: If John Doe is a known racist and he passes a law that forbids speeding in a school zone, that does not make the law racist.

edit on 12-8-2013 by XTexan because: adding thoughts

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I never vote in my life for nobody, for what so I can contribute to this country nonsense? Heck no.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

Because most of the black people are voting in the early voting which they are cutting back, duh.

Whats your point? IF most people who purchase AR-15s are white, does that make a law that bans AR-15s racist against whites?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
reply to post by CB328

I never vote in my life for nobody, for what so I can contribute to this country nonsense? Heck no.

From all of us, both Left and Right...

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
They check my ID at the recycle center to make sure I'm not a copper thief.
They check my ID at the pharmacy to make sure I'm not buying too much Sudafed.

Why would I ever expect them to check my ID when I vote for any candidate or even the highest politician position in the U.S. government?

Everything about our political system is Bass Ackwards.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

If requiring people to show a government issued photo ID is "racist", that would make the TSA the most racist organization on the face of the Earth.
edit on 12-8-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan

Originally posted by CB328

Whats your point? IF most people who purchase AR-15s are white, does that make a law that bans AR-15s racist against whites?

Apparently so.

Liberal logic should be applied across the board in all situations.

It easily becomes apparent how absurd their arguments are.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Of course the total voter count will drop next election.

Because only genuine voters can vote now.

No more ghost votes and double dippers.

People that died years ago won't be able to use their expired driver's licenses or electric bills that were mailed 10 years ago either.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Cops can stop you and require you to provide ID just for walking down the street (and random frisk searches in NYC) but one is not expected to show ID to vote to prevent voter fraud?? I dont get it (except that the Dems, especially the "Chicago School", prefer to register dead people and practice the motto, "vote early and often").

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

"That discriminate against race..." How in the heck are I.D.'s racist?!

But I get it, how DARE we make sure those voting are legal citizens! I mean, it's not like we have a right to make sure OUR country is being governed by someone WE the CITIZENS voted in power! How dare us!

I mean seriously people, do you drive? BAM! You need an ID! Smoke or drink? BAM! You need an ID! And the ID's are like ten bucks, so don't come here and tell me people can't afford them!

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
In Canada, all you have to show to vote is anything that proves you keep residence. It's been a few years since I've voted, but I used my light bill. Granted things may have changed since then. I don't really understand the hullabaloo, but then again, I don't think my province has a history of voter suppression, unlike certain states.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

If that were even remotely true, there would be at least some evidence if this vast conspiracy. The truth is, there have been next to no instances of voter fraud, despite oversight by both government and civilian monitors.

Let me just add that I don't think that it's necessarily about race, At least not just race. It's about keeping the so-called undesirables from the vote, the disabled, the mentally ill, the very poor. The most vulnerable in our socitety, who are the least likely to have government ID cards, deserve to have voices heard.
edit on 8/12/2013 by Monger because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/12/2013 by Monger because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join