It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina governor signs extensive Voter ID law

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Well North Carolina has a voter I.D. law !!

Will other States follow this model in helping to fight the vote fraud ?

North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory (R) on Monday signed into law one of the nation’s most wide-ranging Voter ID laws.

The move is likely to touch off a major court battle over voting rights, and the Justice Department is weighing a challenge to the new law.

The measure requires voters to present government-issued photo identification at the polls and shortens the early voting period from 17 to 10 days. It will also end pre-registration for 16- and 17-year-old voters who will be 18 on Election Day and eliminates same-day voter registration.

North Carolina governor signs extensive Voter ID law

Criminals beware !!

related story:
The coming war over voting rights

Will this divide the country even further ?

Will this consolidate the honest people and stop the criminals ?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I understand wanting to curb voter fraud, but what's the deal with not allowing people who will be 18 by Election Day to pre-register. If that were in effect in my state wouldn't have been able to vote in '08.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Showing id to vote makes sense. I do agree that 17 year olds should be able to pre-register if they will be eligible on election day.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockintitz
I understand wanting to curb voter fraud, but what's the deal with not allowing people who will be 18 by Election Day to pre-register. If that were in effect in my state wouldn't have been able to vote in '08.

"Pre-Register"

They can still "Register" when they turn 18 I would imagine.

pre-reg may invite corruption.

did you turn 18 on election day ?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by rockintitz

Well, it's not about voter fraud. It's about reducing the electorate. Trimming the poor, the youth, and minorities in an effort to win elections. The electorate is changing so the only way to win is to change the rules and make it more difficult to vote. Unless these forms of ID are free, which they aren't in Illinois, in this context they essentially become a poll tax which is unconstitutional per the 24th Amendment regarding federal elections.

These claims of wide spread voter fraud are always political posturing, and always turn out to be false. It's frankly quite tiresome. I don't remember who did the study, but they spent 5 years investigating fraud claims and found over 5 years around 50 incidences of legitimate fraud. Practically every other claim was someone going to the wrong polling place, or someone didn't understand how to use their voting machine, whether it was electronic or "hanging chads", or whatever else.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuckyLucian

Well, it's not about voter fraud. It's about reducing the electorate. Trimming the poor, the youth, and minorities in an effort to win elections. The electorate is changing so the only way to win is to change the rules and make it more difficult to vote. Unless these forms of ID are free, which they aren't in Illinois, in this context they essentially become a poll tax which is unconstitutional per the 24th Amendment regarding federal elections.

These claims of wide spread voter fraud are always political posturing, and always turn out to be false. It's frankly quite tiresome. I don't remember who did the study, but they spent 5 years investigating fraud claims and found over 5 years around 50 incidences of legitimate fraud. Practically every other claim was someone going to the wrong polling place, or someone didn't understand how to use their voting machine, whether it was electronic or "hanging chads", or whatever else.

^quoted for truth.

Anyone who denies this and believes that if only X was Y then someone else would've gotten in is deluding themselves. Our elections are already bought and paid for where both the D & the R puppet, I mean candidate will work for those buying the election. Don't believe me? Why do we have primaries again? TO FIX ELECTIONS!

Making these laws just lower the amount that the will need to be spent to ensure the unimaginable --a third party elected--doesn't happen.

Derek

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LuckyLucian

I believe you are wrong, at least in the state of NC. Gov. McCrory soundly defeated the incumbent during the elections..why would he suddenly enact a law that would take away his voters? And if he was practicing some sort of voter fraud why would he pass a bill to try and stop it?

edit on 12-8-2013 by DevilsLettuce because: said too much...

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
As far a I can tell the people against this only have criminal intent and have no proof otherwise. Prove me wrong.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mikell

Do I need to tell you the story yet again, how my friend misplaced her driver's license and went to the Social Security office to get a social security card so she could get voter ID and replacement driver's license but the desk person at the Social Security office wouldn't even see her because she didn't have her driver's license even though she still had the ID required to get a replacement Social Security Card?
edit on 12-8-2013 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I see know reason why people should no show a photo id to vote.

One time i went to vote and found some one had voted using my name. I was able to vote a provisional ballot when i showed them my id and told them i was going to vote or they would have to call the cops.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilsLettuce

I don't want to get off-topic, but Perdue beat McCrory in '08 and didn't run after allegations of I don't remember what. I have a lot of family that lives in Raleigh, Charlotte and China Grove so most of my knowledge of state level politics there comes through conversations with them.

The voter ID law is aimed at the federal level, specifically POTUS, because gerrymandering is always an effective tool for marginalizing groups of voters at the state level and Congressional elections. That isn't so for POTUS elections. And if you recall this past election was a difference of something like 800,000 votes of 4.5 million cast.

That you, in particular, have an ID card isn't a universal thing and there are likely many thousands of voters in NC without a proper ID. There are numerous social, cultural and economic factors that may be working against groups of people. I, for one, likely wouldn't have any form of ID if I didn't drive and had to get a driver's license. I'd have no other need for one. For instance, if I lived somewhere in Chicago in an apartment or condo somewhere I probably wouldn't drive and let my license expire.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This law has never been about having voter id or voter fraud.

The Republicans in NC did this to cut into the base of the Democratic Party.
edit on 12-8-2013 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap
reply to post by mikell

Do I need to tell you the story yet again, how my friend misplaced her driver's license and went to the Social Security office to get a social security card so she could get voter ID and replacement driver's license but the desk person at the Social Security office wouldn't even see her because she didn't have her driver's license even though she still had the ID required to get a replacement Social Security Card?

Hmmm.

How did she get her first driver's license ?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I think the bigger problem is not who votes but who is selected for us to vote on.
Shouldn't we be going after the fraudulent practice of buying politicians where money and not the will of the people determines the outcome?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuckyLucian

So good to hear from an expert with impeccable credentials as well as solid footnotes to support their suppositions.

Oh wait......you've done none of the aforementioned. Thanks. Fail.

I have to show ID to buy cigarettes. I have to show ID to buy beer. I have to show my ID as a CCW holder. Is it really too much to ask that somebody show ID who can potentially vote for a raise in my taxes?

You crybaby libs never have a leg to stand on other than your "oh the shame". Cry me a river.

Do you realize that EVERY thing you stated is conjecture? You spewed more ignorance than is typically seen in a day. DENY IGNORANCE. If you're going to spew, at least provide ONE factual basis for it.

While you should be ashamed...I have no doubt you feel empowered by your blatant disregard for facts...as do those of your ilk.

[I don't remember the study, but I shoor do knows it wuz a gud won and sur did make lotz of sense. My pa sed so an I no it wuz dun far un sqar]

Ah, my 1000th post. Wasted on a reply to someone most likely incapable of realizing their own ignorance.
edit on 12-8-2013 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by Junkheap
reply to post by mikell

Hmmm.

How did she get her first driver's license ?

This does sound incredible, but I actually had the same kind of thing happen last Friday.

I live in Missouri. In Missouri, you have to show your birth certificate and social security card to get a driver's license or a non-driver ID. Now, my 16-yr-old daughter, who doesn't have a license, lost her social security card, and I went to the Social Security office (which is SIXTY MILES AWAY, incidentally) to get a replacement. They asked me if she had a state ID. I told them no, that's why she needed her ss card, to get her learner's permit to drive (you have to show ss card and birth certificate to get one, just like a driver's license). They asked me if she had a school id, and I told them no, our school doesn't have student IDs. She---the social security person---told me that my daughter had to have a state ID or school ID in order to get a replacement card.

What?

I asked her how on earth I was supposed to get a state ID for her when I didn't have her social security card...which she has to show in order to get the state ID...that supposedly she has to show to get a new social security card...and the woman simply said, sorry, can't help you, nothing I can do.

I still can't get my head around this. I personally think the woman had her head up her *&%#, because the Social Security website says you need your birth certificate to get a new card, but that is still what the woman at the counter told me---no photo ID no card. So I totally believe the poster above.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Yep sounds like a right winger..

Put a lot of words together yet have absolutely nothing intelligent to say..

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by riiver

Documents Required to Obtain A Missouri Driver or Nondriver License or Instruction Permit

Documents Required to Apply for or Renew a Missouri Driver License, Nondriver License, or Instruction Permit

Applicants must present one or more documents in each of the following categories. Additional documents may be required.

NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, PLACE OF BIRTH (U.S. Citizen)

U.S. Birth Certificate - certified with an embossed, stamped or raised seal issued by a state or local government. (Hospital-issued birth certificates are not acceptable.)
U.S. Passport (valid or expired)
Certificate of Citizenship, Naturalization, or Birth Abroad
U.S. Military Identification Card or Discharge Papers - Military document must be accompanied by a copy of U.S. Birth Certificate issued by a state or local government.

If you were born in Missouri and need to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate, you may contact the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services for assistance.

NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, PLACE OF BIRTH (Non-U.S. Citizen)

Non-U.S. citizens should examine the complete listing of acceptable documents for proof of name, date of birth, and place of birth.

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (ALL Applicants)

Provide your Social Security Number (verbally, or by presenting your Social Security card); or

If a Social Security Number has not been assigned, the applicant must present a letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) regarding the status of the applicant's Social Security Number.

dor.mo.gov...

Hmmm.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Well, the license bureau told us they had to have her social security card, which is why I went to get the replacement card. However, the license offices are contracted out and not actually run by the state, so it could be that they're the ones who don't know their own rules, and I should probably go back and ask them why they tell me one thing and their website says another. Ty

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Welp, I dun gess I gotsta posd links tuh ebryting I dun sez.

Voter ID Laws.

The Changing Electorate.

ID costs in Illinois.

Poll Tax.

24th Amendment.

Voting Fraud Investigation.

Boy, I shur do howp my Pa is prowd uh me now. Sos yoo ken see thems aint suppersishins sins I infirmd mah opinyn wit ebidins. Yoo ken trah it to, mah Pa sed so.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join