It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 100,000 want to go to Mars and not return

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
READ MORE

(CNN) -- More than 100,000 people are eager to make themselves at home on another planet. They've applied for a one-way trip to Mars, hoping to be chosen to spend the rest of their lives on uncharted territory, according to an organization planning the manned missions.

Hmm, it's a small number, not sure when the application deadline is but I thought (out of billions) more people would be interested. Have any ATSers applied yet? and why? or why not?

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lupodigubbio

More people interested, im surprised they got 100000. What is the chances of surviving the trip there one in ten chance?
If a person makes it there what is the chances they will survive on the surface more than a week one in then ?

Whats the chances they will survive more than a year one in then.

The odd of them surviving more than a year on Mars a thousand to one.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well from what I read the conditions on the habbital module on mars will be tiny and its meant for 5 people.

Why would I want to endure that crap?

I would go to mars yeah.... but on a large comfortable nuclear propulsion ship with a comfortable home waiting for me on mars,

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I would go in a heart beat

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
My opinion, they would never survive the journey let alone the colonization process.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
A one in ten chance for survival and success? Sign me up, seems like higher odds than I currently
have in my country, plus, the sunset on a red planet and the possibility of green skinned girls ala- Kurk,
i'm more than down for it. Signed MARS OR BUST
edit on 10-8-2013 by DelegateZero88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Well you can add one more. Lets make it 100,001.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Why the negativity?

They're volunteering themselves for something humanity has never experienced.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Why the negativity?

They're volunteering themselves for something humanity has never experienced.

There is no negativity. Im genuinely surprised they got 100000 because the survival odds are low.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
People have endured colonizing hostile habitats on Earth since the beginning of time. I admire the trailblazers willing to go to the ends of the Earth (and Mars, in this case) to show we can adapt. People live in micro apartments already, and the living sections on the space station are DINKY. How much smaller would the Mars abodes be? Honestly, even something the size of space station quarters is plenty big enough for food prep, bodily waste elimination, cleansing, sleeping, and me-time for those willing to live in it, provided space usage & storage is maximized for multi-purpose use. If the first colonists can adapt to small quarters, and a hostile environment, and thrive in doing so, it'll go a long way in proving we can survive literally anywhere.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
i dont think those numbers are accurate. its easy to say you would do something if you knew it would never happen.
i cant imagine anyone honestly wanting to go to mars.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
i dont think those numbers are accurate. its easy to say you would do something if you knew it would never happen.
i cant imagine anyone honestly wanting to go to mars.

Well, I want to go. I can't in good conscience sign myself up, since we have two small children, but had we not had kids? The husband & I would have signed up without second thought. Leaving our kids behind to pioneer it on another planet isn't ethically something we could do, though.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I trully would. Even considering the confined spaces, smell of other people, closeness of qaurters and constant threat of being blown up by an oxygen tank you rely on for life, or a hull breach and being sucked into the vacuum of space. It'd be monumental to be one of those insignificant , forgotten by history nobodies that work to make a stepping stone in our greater expansion into the universe, however miniscule it is. Even if i'm forced to stay in a civillian barracks airlock container, my offspring would be the first Martian in our family line, how could you give up a chance like that?!
edit on 10-8-2013 by DelegateZero88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I started the application process. I would have signed up in a heart beat. Two things held me back.

1. Application fee
2. Game show to compete for a spot

Two thing things stopped me from continuing the application process. I hate game shows and I was not about to pay a fee for the privilege of going to mars and never returning.

While I do have children here on Earth. The one thing that really got me was this.

This might sound strange but the very though of not dying on the Earth, was a very hard thing to think about. I always say, I'm loyal to my Country (Canada) the thought of leaving and dying away from Earth, made me understand that I am also loyal to my one and only planet. (Earlth). I don't want to die anywhere else!

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Hmmm! aren't people vey picky, what difference, earth, mars, venus, whatever, we are captives, we are on one little ball and we cant go to any of the others at will, without life threatning obstacles. we only have what? nothing much over 100 years and thats it whatever planet your sittin on.. the worse part of going to mars with other chosen types is the small little things, such as snoring, suppose they do and you dont and you are 5 sharing an oversized tent called a capsule... or what if they leave the toilet seat up, or down, whichever and it annoys you. if they spit, well you know what I am saying, those little habits bad or good that can so irritate us as humans... and you are on mars with 'em with no way to escape.... methinks I will bring my own tent with me and move to the other side of mars if that were the case..

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
100,000 want to go to mars and never return?

Are they all David Bowie fans?

edit on 11-8-2013 by MikhailBakunin because: mispelling

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Considering the level of radiation that these people will receive during the trip, I would have considerable trouble in seeing them even make it there so as to die planet-side. Kind of gather they are the expendables so the others might have a better chance. The trip there is just too taxing on the body. Just look at the ones that come back from the space station. Weak and require months of rehab just to get around again.

Now, lets get into the isolation from everyone else except the other four. The constricted living area during the trip. Sorry, the human is a social animal and needs the crowd. Serving on a submarine is a precarious balance at best. One of my family did sub duty and he went bonkers cause of it.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I'm not sure any of you fully understand the true risks.
In the short term radiation is not a risk. Long term you are looking at cancer. 3- 7 years.

Mars is far more dangerous that "YOUR' country. Whoever said that.

Do you watch those semi reality shows where they dump a few people on a deserted island? That's a party compared to Mars.

Each day would be a struggle or at least a constant worry about the one thing you never give a second thought to on an island. Breathable air. If your machines break down and you don't have the parts right then and there you are looking at hours to days before reality hits you.

There is nothing on Mars that humans can directly use to sustain life in the short term. Think water.
Yea they say Mars has water but so does our deserts. Just try to come up with enough to drink every single day.
Take a shower? Forget about it.

Do I need to go into the food situation?
Think protein. Seen any cows on Mars to cook up for supper?

You can't compare the explorers of old to those who go to Mars.
Mars is more like a non swimmer trying to keep his head about water.

As soon as Earthlings get tired of sending welfare rockets with spare stuff you are dead.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I thought the effects of solar, and background radiation could be mitigated by burying your habitat 6-8 feet deep,
or finding a Martian cave suitable for short-hand terra-forming, as far as 'wellfare food packages', I would think
the colonists vessell would contain a self sustaining botanical environment that both provided food and oxygen for the (at the shortest trip) three year journey, and in the long run, the main task would be trying to figure out a way to get the frozen ice caps to melt to provide expansion beyond the original colony. I would think you would have to resign yourself to death before the trip, and any success, however short lived, after the fact would be butter. It still wouldn't deter me. - and no I haven't seen any cows on Mars, but I don't rely on beef for my protein on Earth. Beans use much less resources and provide an exponential amount more minerals and protein. And since you're recycling all bodily waste, human remains and plant matter, if it's in an contained environment, little liquids would be lost. (So long as you're comfortable with drinking another person's recycled urine and other waste.)
[
edit on 15-8-2013 by DelegateZero88 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join