It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mountain Bike Choice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
So I have saved a bit of money for a new bike-I ride forest tracks and mountain paths mostly,and have had in the past a Marin or two and a Specialized Rockhopper(on long term borrow-had to sell it back after 18 months sadly).
I don't ride mental like I did as a youngster-I just love smooth speed and curves nowadays.

So do I get another,newer model Rockhoppper(which would surely be amazing judging by the 2006 model I had)?

www.evanscycles.com... content=mkwid__pcrid_19178765816_kword__match__plid_#BVRRWidgetID

Or the Carrera Fury 2011 model?

www.halfords.com...

Hmm,pros and cons...
Any feedback welcomed folks.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I am unfamiliar with both makes :/

I personally owned a trek.....it got stolen though

www.trekbikes.com...

Some of the most wicked off road bikes i have ever seen.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Rockhopper:

Fury:

Here are the pics,but the specs are what concern me-I am leaning towards the RH, possibly better gears,but not sure yet.
Hmm...

edit on 10/8/2013 by Silcone Synapse because: sp

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

RH looks like it has a shorter wheelbase and higher torque gears on the crank. I like it myself.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Thanks ss
It does,and thats why I am edging towards that one-problem is,its not availible in my local bike shop like the Fury.
I really want to have a go at least to sit on the bike before I buy.
Saying that,I did have a great time on my last RH,so its not as if It wont fit me.
Hmmm.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
You can always chance it and make the order....if you dont like it maybe you can find someone to sell it to locally instead of paying to ship it back.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
i had a rockhopper years ago and loved it and a carrera but both were stolen where i lived at the time but i would never spend that kind of money on a bike again far too tight in my old age .

one guy i knew years ago had a specialized that made the rockhopper feel heavy there was more weight in the air in the tyres but it cost him silly money £3000 and that was a decade ago .

good hunting

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This Google search might help you out a bit.

Examples:

I used to own a Rockhopper comp pro 09 and it was great, But the 2011 Rockhoppers are an absolute disgrace in my opinion. The entry level Rockhopper 2011 is priced at £699 this is so overpriced it's a joke, You don't get a lot of bike for the money at all, Check the fork and brakes out.... I expect this on a £400 bike not £700.

The Carrera however has an RRP of £599 and is on sale right now for £440 which is built up from decent to quality components all over the bike, With a good fork and colour scheme to boot.

Absolute no brainer, Don't let the Halfords name put you off they sell some damn good bikes, Have you also checked the Boardman comp?, It's £650 but it still puts the competition to shame except the Fury. You might want to take a look at the boardmans and GT range.

...the best thing for you to do though is to test both bikes yourself to see if either feels right to you.

I own a Rockhopper and have borrowed a Fury.. The Rockhopper feels very good, is faster and is very manoeuvrable for light XC.. The Fury felt strong but big and heavy compared to the RH. On a shorter more testing ride it may have faired better. I would have to take a hacksaw to the bars of the fury to make it feel better

Not a fair comparison coz the Hopper is very upgraded 09 Comp against a bolt standard Fury. The Boardman would make a far better compassion but Id still prefer the Hopper.

www.bikeradar.com...

The specialized has a better frame but the equipment on the carrera and hoodoo is much better, so the general concensus is that if you're going to spend a bit of money tarting it up then get the specialized as the frame is lighter but if you're keeping it stock and not going to buy new forks/gears etc then go for one of the others. Specialized and Carrera frames are even built in the same factory so I can't see them being a million miles apart!

www.r6ers.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
www.cannondale.com...

buy a cannondale everything else is a kids toy
edit on 10-8-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

TRAVEL
120mm to 70mm on-the-fly adjustable rear travel. (*some models have 120mm travel X-Fusion P1RL pull shock with platform lockout.)
ECS-TC SYSTEM
Clamped, 15mm thru-axles in the shock linkage and swingarm pivot eliminate flex and provide unmatched center-stiffness for complete control.
GEOMETRY
Trigger is more than just a Jekyll with less travel. Its lower stance and slightly steeper head angle results in a more nimble feel especially at slower speeds. The perfect balance of quick and stable.

Frame
TRIGGER, 120MM / 70MM, BALLISTEC HI-MOD CARBON, BB30, 1.5 SI HEADTUBE
Fork
NEW LEFTY PBR 130 26, HYBRID NEEDLE BEARING TECHNOLOGY
Crank
SRAM S1400, BB30, 38/24 W/GUARD
Bottom Bracket
SRAM BB30
Shifters
SRAM X9, DIRECT MOUNT
Cog Set
SRAM PG-1070, 11-36, 10-SPEED
Chain
KMC X10
Front Derailleur
SRAM X7, DIRECT MOUNT
Rear Derailleur
SRAM X9 TYPE2 RBC
Rims
MAVIC CROSSTRAIL, TUBELESS READY
Hubs
MAVIC CROSSTRAIL, LEFTY FRONT, 135X9MM REAR
Tires
SCHWALBE RACING RALPH PERFORMANCE, 2.25" TUBELESSREADY
Pedals
N/A
Brake
MAGURA MT2 W/BAT, 180/160MM
Handlebar
CANNONDALE C2 RISER, 700X20MM, 2014 ALLOY
Stem
CANNONDALE OPI ADJUSTABLE, +6 DEGREE, 31.8
Headset
CANNONDALE HEADSHOK SI
Spokes
MAVIC CROSSTRAIL
Grips
CANNONDALE DUAL LOCKING GRIPS
Saddle
PROLOGO X8 PRO T1.4
Seat Post
CANNONDALE C2, 31.6X400MM
Rear Shock
USA: X FUSION P1-RL 120MM | Europe: FOX DYAD RT2 120/70MM w/ remote
Extras
HIGH PRESSURE SHOCK PUMP, X-

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

That is an insane bicycle.
Awesome.
I love it.
But cannot afford it sadly.
Plus I would break it trying to do tricks-I know its tough,but trust me I would break it.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
reply to post by digital01anarchy

That is an insane bicycle.
Awesome.
I love it.
But cannot afford it sadly.
Plus I would break it trying to do tricks-I know its tough,but trust me I would break it.

Yeah I bet I had a friend he had an 09 model its like 2000 dollars all carbon-fiber yeah expensive but just get an older model the 09's are probably around the same price as the one you want and have the same features. yeah it may be used but trust me when you own a bike that expensive you take real good care of it

holy crap they retain value pretty well

its a link for one for $450
www.ebay.com...

here one 400
www.ebay.com...

new topics

top topics

join