It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CHINESE HUNGRY GHOST MONTH/ FESTIVAL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hello ATS posters,

For all you cultural paranormal ATS posers, wanted to share a little a bit about my own culture. Most of August is Chinese Ghost Month. The Chinese believe during this month the Gates of Hell are sprung open to allow ghosts and spirits access to the world of the living. Usually its ancestors/passed on love ones that come to visit during this month to check on the living to ensure they are doing well and being taken care of. But as the good spirits are free, so are the bad ones.
Normally, during this month families go and visit their departed love ones graves, place food offering outside their homes, and pray. The reason people place food offerings outside their homes, is so that when lost spirits or evil spirits come they will eat the food offers and please them to leave us alone.
This makes ghost month a bad time to do activities such as evening strolls, traveling, moving house, or starting a new business. Many people avoid swimming during ghost month, since there are many spirits in the water which can try to drown you.
The ghost month ends I believe Sept 4 - 7 this year. So all you paranormal hunters and fan, be on the look out this month. You might just find something this time of year, when the veil to the other side is crossed over with the living.

chineseculture.about.com...

my.72dragon.com...

edit on 9-8-2013 by Nemox42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2013 by Nemox42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Nemox42

Any of our asian ATS posters have any good eastern ghost stories, especially dealing with ghost month, don't be shy to post. I have a few and will probably post them up soon, they mostly stories from the old country.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I don't have many east-asian ghost stories (as Vietnamese people tend to greatly exaggerate any sort of story, which tends to make me skeptical..)

But I did go out with a Chinese girl who claims she was haunted and one of her exes also saw it himself...

New Year's Eve: Got back to my friend's brother's place with her when she started coming down with seizures...Being the gentlemen that I am, stayed up by her side on the downstairs couch until she fell asleep. It must have been 4-5am and I was shattered myself, so went up to the guest room and fell asleep instantly...Before waking up to see her standing at the end of my bed, just looking at me, not saying a thing.

I crapped myself but manned up and said, "Wtf are you doing..? Are you ok?", to which I got no reply...Didn't know what to do, so I just guided her back downstairs.

Apparently she ended up going to a Buddhist temple with her dad to get an exorcised...

I was also at a house where others and myself have felt a strong presence, and know at least two other places that are supposedly haunted.

These kinda things reiterate my belief about the existence of paranormal happeneings.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

I actually have some ghost stories from vietnam, as retold by my elders. Ill retell you with one. This is almost like a urban legend ghost story, but it goes that. A friend of my aunt, we will call him khoa, who use to love gambling and would spend late nights gambling and coming home late. One late night, coming home from gambling den, khoa was walking home alone, it was dark. There was barely any moonlight out that night, and if you ever been to rural country areas. Like this place was, there basically is no street light outside. So it was pretty dark. There was just enough light for khoa to barely see the road a few feet ahead of him. As khoa stumbled his way home in the darkness on a dirt rural road, he spots a dark figure standing by a Banana Tree. The figure by the tree calls out and asks "Hey, Do you have a light for my cigarette?"

Khoa fumbles in his pocket to pull out his lighter, and approachs the man to help light up his cigarette. It being very dark, it was a bit hard to make out what the man looked like as he was standing under the shade of the banna tree out of the dimlight moonlight. As Khoa sparked the lighter, and finally got a look at the man standing under the tree. He realize the man's face was of a skeleton. Scared and Startled by what he seen, he drops the lighter and takes off running.

Khoa, turns around and see the man right on his heels still chasing him, gaining speed on him.
Now Khoa, wasn't going to let this spirit get him, so he remembers an old wise tale that says evil spirits have a hard time moving diagonally. Khoa starts to zig zag as he runs toward his home, he turns around again and the man is slowing down. Khoa finally makes it safetly home.

Moral of the story, don't go gambling and walking home late at night in rural area, cuz you don't know who or what you might bump into in the night. Plus when getting chased by evil spirit, run zig zag.
edit on 22-8-2013 by Nemox42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join