It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Close up of the sun spot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
io9.com...

I thought this was a painting at first glance.
Absolutely amazing eh
......Made me a good sunscreen saver.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Nice picture!

When I look at other pictures of the sun or think about it I picture it as a giant ball of magma, which I guess it basically is. However, in your picture it's almost like you can see tendrils of flame.

Would be pretty awesome to see the Sun close up. If you could survive it of course.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The Sun, it appears, is quite hairy. I wonder what these filaments framing the sunspot are caused by...

By the way, the vast majority of solar images have added colour (or the colour comes from a filter like H-alpha). I'd like to see close-up images of the Sun in its natural colour. All you have to do is use an ND filter.
edit on 9-8-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
The Sun, it appears, is quite hairy. I wonder what these filaments framing the sunspot are caused by...

If I had to guess, I would say it's the magnetic bands that shape the super hot plasma into what resembles hair, for lack of a better word.
Whatever it is, it's pretty awesome!

By the way, the vast majority of solar images have added colour (or the colour comes from a filter like H-alpha). I'd like to see close-up images of the Sun in its natural colour. All you have to do is use an ND filter.

That makes me think about if it would even be possible.
Wouldn't the sun be too bright, as in having too much glow to get any detail from it?
Aren't most of the pictures we have of it in it's natural color?
I thought they only used filters to view the details within the glow.

The wonders of our universe are truly mind blowing with the more and more we see and find.

edit on 11/8/13 by masqua because: fixed coding which messed up post

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
If there really are more dimensions than we know about, an object in one dimension may have characteristics such as temperature, light, size, weight, etc in one dimension but could be something totally different if viewed from another dimension.

Think of looking at a line drawing from the 2D perspective, vertical lines would look like a wall which we would need to follow to be able to move around if there was an end point, a circle we would follow forever as there is no end and we could never get inside.

It is very difficult for our tiny minds to wrap themselves around these types of ideas.

The sun could be something totally different if it existed in or viewed from another dimension as well.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Why do you think the Sun in higher dimensions would be something entirely different? The example with lines isn't an explanation, we're talking about physical objects here. Rather than talking about geometrical shapes (which is what dimensions are all about), consider the substance, the atoms, the physical processes such as fusion.

A 2D slice of cheese is still cheese. Extrapolating into higher dimensions, a 3D chunk of cheese would still be cheese in 4 dimensions, there's no reason to conclude it would be something different, like a 4D apple or 4D bicycle.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The long wavy things around the sun spot are filamentss of very hot plasma flowing along magnetic field line coming from inside the sun spot. But the sun is a very beautiful thing in high def.

edit on 11-8-2013 by BriGuyTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by qmantoo

Why do you think the Sun in higher dimensions would be something entirely different? The example with lines isn't an explanation, we're talking about physical objects here. Rather than talking about geometrical shapes (which is what dimensions are all about), consider the substance, the atoms, the physical processes such as fusion.

A 2D slice of cheese is still cheese. Extrapolating into higher dimensions, a 3D chunk of cheese would still be cheese in 4 dimensions, there's no reason to conclude it would be something different, like a 4D apple or 4D bicycle.

Have you heard of Platos cave? Basically it says that there are a groupe of poeple who live their entire life in a cave. Their only perception of the outside world is the shadows they see on the wall of the cave coming from objects outside the cave. They may have a very different perception of what those shadows are because they have a limited point of view. Now this can translate to our real world if you think about all objects we encounter as a 3D shadow of a higher dimensional object be cause we are limited by our 3D view of reality. And those objects could be totally different. Hope that gets you thinking.

top topics

join