It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landmark Decision: American Farmers Attain Critical Legal Protection

page: 1

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

www.realfarmacy.com

The US Court of Appeals in Washington DC, issued a complicated ruling on our Appeal of Dismissal. The three-judge Appeals Court upheld dismissal of OSGATA v Monsanto. However, the ruling provided a significant partial victory for us, when the Court ordered Monsanto, through estoppal, to NOT sue farmers for patent infringement should they encounter trace GE contamination. The estoppel protects EVERY farmer in the United States – not just those in our Plaintiff group.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
vimeo.com
edit on 7-8-2013 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Fantastic news! I'm actually rather shocked that anything preventing Monsanto from some lawsuits would be ruled. It was always crazy how they could sue other farmers when they were the causal factor in gmo contamination.

There's a lot more in the article about the current state of gmo laws. It's definitely worth a read. And I've also linked the video interview that is in the story.

www.realfarmacy.com

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I am glad to see this happened. It means that people don't have to fear protecting themselves legally if they challenge monsatan for creating unnatural products that are contaminating their crops. S&F

I shouldn't relate Monsanto with Satan.....Satan isn't as bad as Monsanto. Satan could take it as an insult.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
In your face, Monsanto! Ha!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Don't worry.

Monsanto has more cards up their sleeve.

They always have solutions to every problem before it becomes a problem.

Just watch and see.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

one could say that they will engineer a solution

but this ruling is better than nothing. before this, i believe it was up to monsanto's discretion whether to sue or not and over what amount of contamination.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Don't worry.

ETA:

Yes, main one being this thread. Wow, just finished reading
the article in the OP, so I need to revise my post

To the OP....

Why is this in breaking news????
There is nothing about this story that is a ruling, nothing that is new?

Granted, the Maine farmers are on the right track,
but the ruling is nothing new.

I see red, as in red herring. .
Look at the article referenced, and see there is no new "news".
Hmmm.

edit on 7-8-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Screw that Lawyer Happy all suing earth poisoning Goliath of a Fascist corrupting Congressman bribing peace of Crap company!!!!! Down with Monsatan one person at a time, one judge at a time, one Farmer at a time.

The People are fighting back, and little by little we will take back Mother Nature and restore her to her naturally beauty

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by xuenchen
Don't worry.

ETA:

Yes, main one being this thread. Wow, just finished reading
the article in the OP, so I need to revise my post

To the OP....

Why is this in breaking news????
There is nothing about this story that is a ruling, nothing that is new?

Granted, the Maine farmers are on the right track,
but the ruling is nothing new.

I see red, as in red herring. .
Look at the article referenced, and see there is no new "news".
Hmmm.

edit on 7-8-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

Ummm, ok. The news is that the guy spearheading the lawsuit against Monsanto released information today in this web article that we didn't previously have. That's news. Sorry to disappoint you. Move along then.

And if you are indicating that I am throwing out red herrings, that is beyond ridiculous. You obviously don't pay attention to any of the posts I've been making for years, particularly in news related to agriculture. Do the research, then come back and tell me how I'm posting red herrings when you have something. I didn't present the material as anything other than what it was, a positive, if small, ruling that helps out non gmo farmers. How is that bad again?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

This case was issued a ruling in June, 2013.

“In June, the US Court of Appeals in Washington DC, issued a complicated ruling on our Appeal of Dismissal. The three-judge Appeals Court upheld dismissal of OSGATA v Monsanto. However, the ruling provided a significant partial victory for us, when the Court ordered Monsanto, through estoppal, to NOT sue farmers for patent infringement should they encounter trace GE contamination. The estoppel protects EVERY farmer in the United States – not just those in our Plaintiff group.
www.osgata.org...

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Thank you, OP for this news that I had not heard before. I, for one, do not consider something that happened in June (with this being early August) old news. I will gladly take any steps in the right direction (meaning any case/partial case lost by Monsanto is a win for 'the people").

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna

www.realfarmacy.com

The US Court of Appeals in Washington DC, issued a complicated ruling on our Appeal of Dismissal. The three-judge Appeals Court upheld dismissal of OSGATA v Monsanto. However, the ruling provided a significant partial victory for us, when the Court ordered Monsanto, through estoppal, to NOT sue farmers for patent infringement should they encounter trace GE contamination. The estoppel protects EVERY farmer in the United States – not just those in our Plaintiff group.

Related News Links:
vimeo.com
edit on 7-8-2013 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

But how many farms has Monsanto destroyed or taken through frivolous law suits?
It's too little too late IMO!

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Really is good news for the farmers know they can enjoy there framing without any fear great work.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This is good news, since monsanto et.al. could sue anyone who had saved conventional soybeans or any other seed which had been contaminated by the pollen shed from other RR or GMO plants.

The Brazilian Court also ruled last year against Monsanto in Brazil regarding the expiration of its patent on RR1 seed beans occurred in 2010 and thus RR seed held back by Brazilian farmers and planted in subsequent years were not subject to patent protection as alleged by Monsanto.

Next year 2014 the RR1 patent on RR1 soybeans expires, and farmers in the US who elect to do so, can hold back those seeds and plant them without a problem. Monsanto has already acknowledged it will not prosecute farmers for planting RR1 seed after the 2014 patent expiration date, in addition all licenses on RR1 seed with seed dealers also terminate on that date.

Pioneer seed company had a district court place a $1,000,000,000 judgement in favor of Monsanto after it attempted to originate patented traits into seed carrying the RR1 genetics. Pioneer has also retained "plant police" to check on customers who purchased their seeds to check for "brown bagging", when in fact they appear to be the biggest "brown bagger" of all with this ruling against them.

Seed companies are now scrambling to place fear in farmers who will be saving seed and alleging their "other" plant patents will be enforced. John

top topics

join