It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yemen says it has foiled an al-Qaeda plot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Yemen says it has foiled an al-Qaeda plot

www.bbc.co.uk

Yemen says it has foiled an al-Qaeda plot to blow up oil pipelines and seize some of the country's main ports.

Security remains tight - and hundreds of armoured vehicles have been deployed to protect key targets.

Both the US and UK have withdrawn diplomatic staff from Yemen, prompted by intelligence reports of renewed terrorist activity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Say what!!

so America and England, who have been proven to have recently been monitoring everything, say Yemen is a target, and get our people out, then Al-Qaeda go ahead anyway!

am i the only one thinking it makes no sense?

why attack, when the world knew you were gonna attack?

or is this one of those Prism things that will say "Prism saw this and stopped it"

a true WTF moment

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The article itself is kinda cryptic...
Maybe i missed where they said how they stopped the plot?

Yemeni government spokesman Rajeh Badi said the plot involved blowing up oil pipelines and taking control of certain cities - including two ports in the south, one of which accounts for the bulk of Yemen's oil exports and is where a number of foreign workers are employed.

"There were attempts to control key cities in Yemen like Mukala and Bawzeer," said Mr Badi.

"This would be co-ordinated with attacks by al-Qaeda members on the gas facilities in Shebwa city and the blowing up of the gas pipe in Belhaf city."

Al-Qaeda members dressed as soldiers were to be outside the ports, he said. On a given signal they were to invade the facility and take it over.

This kind of plan would account for the number of prisoners released, but it seems so...i don't know....short sighted to cause such a fuss over.

Why do it if they could not hold onto it with any real degree of certainty?
edit on 7-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
They didn't mention any arrests. This sounds suspicious to me. Notice how the article went on to almost use this " foiled plot " to justify drone strikes and future special forces operations.

The article mentions multiple targets and elaborate schemes that would have taken hundreds of people to perform and coordinate. Yet no mention of any arrests ?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
With US Special Forces on alert in most of those nations, national special forces on the streets in most of those nations and a few ships full of marines just off shore....what exactly did they think would happen at this point? The sad thing is, alot of these factors aren't new.

Surprise alone would not pull off a play this big. It wouldn't. You need something to back that # up or it all falls apart.

The oil lines? Please. It's a drop in the bucket for Big Oil and probably a tax write off, or insurance payment. Big loss there.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Well, this was Yemen.

Yemen is mostly important for control of Bab-el-Mandeb.

I'd be worried about Hassi R'Mel. Just saying.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Not to mention the fact that that is a #load of sand to have compression stations in.

Apparently google agreed with that assessment enough to mis-color regions of desert blue to trick any would-be terrorists into thinking they'd have watering holes where there is only sand.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
If it spooked our American friends so much, I doubt it had to do with oil lines, let alone that they figured out the plot lol.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

Yes, a drop in the bucket indeed. That is why major nodes of supplies are a great concern.

Bab el Mandeb is one such location for transport over water. Hassi R'Mel is another one..

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
The AQAP seem to be doing alright out there. If anything they are thriving if they have this kind of mentality.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I've posted a thread that attempts to explain the situation.

It has maps and graphs.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've given stars to you all!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Phatdamage

That's not a terror plot..its a coup.
mumbling media..sigh.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosha

I agree, but since it failed it is a terrorist plot

Lol, whoever writes history and all that bull#.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I take it this is how they foiled the plot
Reuters

Witnesses and local officials in the province of Shabwa said the drone fired at least six missiles at two vehicles in a remote area some 70 km (50 miles) north of the provincial capital, Ataq. Both vehicles were destroyed.

Residents who rushed to the scene found only charred bodies, they said.

At least 20 suspected militants have been killed since July 28,

Seems too easy?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Phatdamage

Unfortunately, in Yemen, pipelines get blown up almost every week.

In fact, I read that a pipeline was attacked last Saturday, after having been repaired from an attack less than two weeks prior to that.

Article dated August 4th...

On Sunday Yemen’s Saba News agency, quoting an unnamed official, said that tribesmen have blown up the pipeline in Wadi Abida, in the province of Marib.

The flow of crude oil has been interrupted as a result of the explosion.

The bomb blast halted the flow of oil along the 320 kilometer pipeline linking the Safer oilfields to the export terminal in the province of Hodeida.

According to the official, the blast is the "second act of sabotage by the same group in 10 days."

The tribesmen are demanding the government to release at least one prisoner.

On June 27, Yemeni officials said an attack was carried out at a pipeline in Marib’s Sarwah area.

Over the past two years, insurgents and tribesmen have repeatedly attacked oil and gas pipelines in Yemen in a bid to win concessions from the central government, causing fuel shortages and slashing export earnings in the impoverished country.

www.presstv.ir...
edit on 7-8-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

THANK YOU!

The pipelines get hit all the time!

Could you post some data on where those incidents took place?

Comparing that data to elevation maps of the region and Compression Stations would be most enlightening for the masses.

**edit** I mean, god forbid the terrorists actually calculate how to insert a bomb into a pipeline that #s with a compression station or main node along the pipeline. That'd be unexpected.
edit on 7-8-2013 by teachtaire because: Seriously.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

Here's a partial list of what I can find over the last couple of years...

- Wadi Abida, Maarib (Main Oil Pipeline), Aug 2013
- Central Maarib Province (Main Oil Pipeline), May 2013
- Balhaf, Shabwah (Liquified Natural Gas Pipeline), Dec 2012
- Balhaf, Shabwah (Liquified Natural Gas Pipeline) Aug 2012
- Wadi Abida, Marrib (Main Oil Pipeline) June 2012
- Balhaf, Shabwah (Liquified Natural Gas Pipeline), May 2012
- Balhaf, Shabwah (Liquified Natural Gas Pipeline), March 2012
- Ataq city, Shabwa (Oil Pipeline), Nov 2010

I came up with this information just from the first two pages of Google searches, but I'm sure there have been many more.

In the meanwhile, I just read an article stating that all of the pipeline explosions that take place in Yemen are costing them approximately $15 million per day to repair and maintain.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Thank you! It appears as if the terrorists haven't discovered how important scuba diving lessons are. That is good to know!

They also haven't seemed to developed a way of inserting intelligent bombs in resource pipelines that are capable of damaging key areas.

That is more good news! And, to all terrorists, good luck figuring out how to do that when all of the internet is being monitored you dip#s.

Hell, they don't even show any capabilities of BEGINNING to apply decentralized open source drone control tactics, which was something American highschoolers discussed more than 8 years ago.

Now lets all hope they don't figure out how to insert timed devices that can actually travel along pipelines to hit the areas that are heavily guarded. (Hey terrorists, please use google. I promise we aren't looking at how many views obscure URLS are getting. Scouts honor.)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
And to the American intel agents whose bosses want to kill me right now,

There is a cheap $15 way to discover such bombs in a pipeline.

To terrorists: I'm bluffing to save my ass! It is a great idea! Chip truth!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
SOMETHING is going on over there. Something big. We probably wont' ever really know what is/was going on. But I think we can assume that things are in motion. Just what those things are/were ... ???

top topics

<<   2 >>

join