It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are Giant Sinkholes Appearing All Over America?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ParanoidAmerican
reply to post by Komodo

Fracking, mining, depletion of mineral deposits, would be my guess as to why they are becoming more common. Population density may play a roll in urban settings....I think the bayou corne sinkhole is most defiantly from over mining.

Yeah, agreed, there are many reasons. I think fracking would have a bit part of the reason for sinkholes appearing in regions where they have not occurred before. When millions of gallons of water is pumped underground it needs to go somewhere, and underground erosion is a result... Limestone/karst erodes to form caves over time because of water.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines

reply to post by Komodo

Fracking, mining, depletion of mineral deposits, would be my guess as to why they are becoming more common. Population density may play a roll in urban settings....I think the bayou corne sinkhole is most defiantly from over mining.

Yeah, agreed, there are many reasons. I think fracking would have a bit part of the reason for sinkholes appearing in regions where they have not occurred before

Curious...what area are you speaking to that has "never" seen a sink-hole?

When millions of gallons of water is pumped underground it needs to go somewhere, and underground erosion is a result... Limestone/karst erodes to form caves over time because of water.

Agreed, but I am still looking for an area that has "NEVER" seen a sink-hole.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by ParanoidAmerican

Are they becoming more common? Do you have any evidence to back this up?!

yes...

it's in the video already ..

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

So some random persons pieced together a video and it is academic? Has it been backed up? Confirmed? Compared to the last century? Or the century before that?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines

reply to post by Komodo

Yeah, agreed, there are many reasons. I think fracking would have a bit part of the reason for sinkholes appearing in regions where they have not occurred before

Curious...what area are you speaking to that has "never" seen a sink-hole?

When millions of gallons of water is pumped underground it needs to go somewhere, and underground erosion is a result... Limestone/karst erodes to form caves over time because of water.

Agreed, but I am still looking for an area that has "NEVER" seen a sink-hole.

If we want to get into wordplay, I used "not occurred", not "never". To appease semantic gods, let it be known that I should have used "not known to occur before."

Sorry, I don't have a time machine to tell you whether a sinkhole has happened in the history of the world on the summit of Stone Mountain.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

reply to post by Komodo

So some random persons pieced together a video and it is academic? Has it been backed up? Confirmed? Compared to the last century? Or the century before that?

Exactly! In addition sink holes are a normal random occurrences that occur for a variety of reasons, the reason more sink holes are being reported can be attributed to rapidly growing communication devices. The fact that everyone has a cell phone these days only perpetuates the reporting especially when sink holes cause damage, disruptions or deaths, it is a newsworthy event, people see, people report.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

Its not word play. It is the natural call I have to find the facts and yes, to me, word usage is important. It really gives an insight to a person's thinking or underlying bias to the topic. In this instance, you have already concluded that this is all about fracking. That is fine, but to me, I need more evidence to even begin to speculate as to the cause.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Why Are Giant Sinkholes Appearing All Over America?......Our national debt is dragging us down.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I think most likely.

1. Sinkholes have happened since the the start of time
2. Everyone is ultra connected to news and reporting.
3. People want to see some pending doom pr0n in everything.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Its not word play. It is the natural call I have to find the facts and yes, to me, word usage is important. It really gives an insight to a person's thinking or underlying bias to the topic. In this instance, you have already concluded that this is all about fracking. That is fine, but to me, I need more evidence to even begin to speculate as to the cause.

Fair enough, even though I said there are many reasons, it must mean that I have concluded fracking this is all about fracking?

Yeah, agreed, there are many reasons. I think fracking would have a bit part of the reason for sinkholes

Anyways, I don't know the exact reasons and geology for every instance a sinkhole occurs, but I do think fracking does play a role, along with other sources of underground water being eroding away over time (aquifers, old leaking water lines etc.)
edit on 8-8-2013 by Philippines because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Why do you think fracking plays a role? Does fracking have a history of creating sink-holes?

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Maybe it has something to do with the sun right now. The Sun shoots out magnetic waves, right. Some rocks/ dirt are magnetic as evidenced when certain rock/ dirt formations point due magnetic north. Could there be some sort of magnetic anomally causing the sinkhole phenomenom?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join