It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets End the Fantasy of "being employed" or Having a Career in America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
I read it somewhere else on here, paraphrasing but: The Baby Boomers get the houses, careers, Social Security and pensions. Meanwhile, they leave the 30 and under crowd with a huge deficit and a broken economy.

I guess the, "As long as I get mine" conservative/Republican mindset really worked in the long term. Thanks 55+ folks for believing in "trickle down economics" -- you've left a wonderful legacy.

This is why I don't hesitate to wipe my rear end with the same baby boomers that want to call my generation and the millennial kids that took on severe debt to educate themselves in a misguided attempt to become contributing members of society "spoiled brats" or "entitled".

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

Geez that is my life exactly. If I could go back in time I would have NEVER went to college, seriously. I would have ignored my family, teachers, government etc... who told me college was my only option for a decent future, that everything would be peaches as long as I had that degree, that the world would suddenly open up and spread her legs at the sight of that diploma

They were so freaking stupid and delusional. All kids have to look forward to is skyrocketing tuition debt, worst job market in decades, and immense competition for what jobs do exist. Hey, if you are really really lucky, you might get that 50k 40h/wk corporate job where they expect you to be a mindless slave, impotent, and constantly in fear of losing what little you have.

In today's job market people want you to kiss their ass up and down for half the pay, while doing something that has no intrinsic rewards for you, only the promise of sustenance living.

If I could go back I would have gone Galt from the get go. Screw the tuition debt, the degree, the corporate slave system, the exploitation of my labor, I'm going to become a dishwasher and live alone.
edit on 6-8-2013 by djr33222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Not to make a rift in what I am trying to say here as this threads purpose is not to point fingers but rather talk about career options of today I want to ask those of the older generation, Do you disagree that in the 60's there was more manufacturing and factory work that had less automated technology then today? If you agree then has the change to automation and computers in cars automated machines and reduced industry impacted todays society of workers? What used to take 200 men now only require 50 and for those that pursue using computers and automation do you believe this does not require further education? I would like to see industry models from the 60s to today that show the increase in jobs to substantiate claims that there is just as many or more jobs out there. I would also like to see some one show something in regards to not even having to graduate high schools success rates in finding work, you can't even join the military without that or a GED. Just a thought.

edit on 6-8-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

Careers are so 20th century.... nostalgia.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

I know, I wonder how this is going to effect people born in the 80's and 90's in the future when they did not have enough saved in social security and 401k's and all of that when they are in their 60's relying on Wal-Mart and temp agencies and work the fast food jobs will help them when they are old. I wonder what would happen if everyone started applying for fast food jobs, would they open more franchises? In my city I do not think they are hiring at Mickey Ds or Burger King perhaps I should try KFC next. Because fast food resturaunts are going to save the countries financial woes. I wonder how many people are not advocates of GMO food that also suggest wal mart fast food and other things to that nature for careers, and if not those then you always have the temp agency for the rest of the manufacturing and skilled trades I suppose

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Even the Temp agencies in my area are dead. They admit, we have nothing. They don't make money when they can't put people to work so they are going under quick. Fast food around here is over staffed and have more applications than they can handle. The sign in list for people coming into check on their application are about 5 pages long per day. Hotel work is the same thing. Skilled labor jobs want a minimum of 5 years paid experience. We are one of the few areas in the U.S. that have TOO many nurses.
They problem is making enough money to move out of town.
When you have kids, you can't just pack up everything in the car and head out of town. You need gas money to move, money to rent a place or pay for a hotel, ect.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I tend to agree thats all part of having the resources to get out and even then it is a gamble I always say good luck to those that have better opportunity elsewhere

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
There are opportunities in the information technology (IT) field. Its steadily growing.

Years ago, in the 80's and 90's, people could find employment in the IT field by just having knowledge of computers and software programming. Its different these days, at least a BS or MS degree is required because the system much more highly structured and education is required.

Companies that hire IT professionals exploit the system by lowering wages with the knowledge that the economy is bad and people will accept the minimum for employment. Not much accepted in the way of salary negotiation because there is a very large pool of candidates to draw from.
edit on 6-8-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I guess the, "As long as I get mine" conservative/Republican mindset really worked in the long term. Thanks 55+ folks for believing in "trickle down economics" -- you've left a wonderful legacy.

That wasn't Reagan, that was Democrats. lol. It wasn't until Clinton that the Republicans controlled the House. I guess you don't know much about politics or America. Perhaps you should read more.

Here ya go.

Republican Revolution

V

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I read it somewhere else on here, paraphrasing but: The Baby Boomers get the houses, careers, Social Security and pensions. Meanwhile, they leave the 30 and under crowd with a huge deficit and a broken economy.

Edit to add: I probably won't ever have children because this country is so screwed up. I can't in good conscious bring a life into this mess, considering I could never give it the quality of life I had growing up.
edit on 6-8-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

You said the truth of the situation perfectly and honestly I could not have said it better. The legacy we have been left with is the startling realization that we may very well be faced with complete poverty and possible homelessness when we are at the retiring age. There won't exist a pension or anything for that matter and we will be the last thing anyone cares about and worthy only of genocide.

If anything we will be on list for euthanasia for body parts or test subjects. Good case scenario is that we may be able to survive on cat food if they let us live.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
LOL seriously hearing some of the responses is gut busting funny. When I was your age in a good economy and no inflation I got an education at a community college for 12 grand

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I would like to add something else to think about.

Blaming "baby boomers" for the problems of today and for their irresponsible financial policies is not fair.
They made the policies back then just as much as the young people make the ones we have now days.

In 50 years when this country will be having problems that make these look like the good old days because of the terrible, insane economic policies that our leaders are implementing now.

Are we going to blame the kids of today for the policies?

The baby Boomers where just the people living during those times the same as this generation is living these times. Neither are to blame for the problems although it feels good to be able to point the finger.

Lay the blame where it belongs........Government

Bad decisions then.......worse ones now.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Before I futher delve into this topic as presented by the OP....how do you equate all of 55+ (which is on the cusp of "baby-boomers" in terms of age groups) as being "conservative/Republican)? Are only those of that age group "conservative/Republican"? To highlight, the "accepted age" relating to the Baby-Boom era is 49 at this current junction of history. That would be my sister who was born to a baby-boomer. So how does one who is a baby-boomer, give birth to another baby-boomer?! I digress a bit sorry.

Needless to say, you interjected this nonsense to not deal with the real implications but to fulfill some political hellbent talking point.
edit on 6-8-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

It is far more expedient for the political class and those of opposing political ideology to just blame a demographic. Both major parties within the United States have competing monopolies on this tactic.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander
This is why I don't hesitate to wipe my rear end with the same baby boomers that want to call my generation and the millennial kids that took on severe debt to educate themselves in a misguided attempt to become contributing members of society "spoiled brats" or "entitled".

But you wont question nor even bother to educate yourself on the basic free-market principle that when State schools receive large-sums of cash, plus "students" receiving large sums of cash, would equal ever rising costs in education?

The cost of education is inflated for one reason only -- the interjection of "free" money by the Federal Government and in small part, State and local Governments.

It didn't take me long to realize what would make me money. A degree in psychology or a trade skill that was in demand....is it that hard to figure out?!

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Within 2 decades, I believe, we will have reached a point where everyone is monitored from birth, their aptitudes determined during grade and high school, and their careers decided upon by bureaucrats. Pay will be decided by other bureaucrats. Where we live and how we eat and recreate will also be decided for us by our government employees. Many people will be found to be unfit for anything but protein production--some for lack of any drive, some for anti-Govt speech or activity.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I still believe that if you pay attention to the trends that if it is ok for all companies big and small to continue to use temp agencies it is a bullet point in the undermining of a simple job seeker, the points I have been trying to stress lay heavily in the belief that through tireless work ethic, service, knowledge and other attributes is moot when you have to A go through a temp agency or B try and be competitive by school. The detriment is huge in comparison from my parents to today. I do not expect to see many older folk continue to comment here if all they have to say is take the chitty job when in fact when they were my age you still didn't even need a high school education to make a decent career, living, and retirement based out of a manufacturing job which from my studies seemed available everywhere, today for such a simple manufacturing, box packing, etc etc the list is continuous you almost always have to go through the temp jobs. It is a frustrating and often times hard to explain to people issue that already have "careers"

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood

I would like to add something else to think about.

Blaming "baby boomers" for the problems of today and for their irresponsible financial policies is not fair.
They made the policies back then just as much as the young people make the ones we have now days.

In 50 years when this country will be having problems that make these look like the good old days because of the terrible, insane economic policies that our leaders are implementing now.

Are we going to blame the kids of today for the policies?

The baby Boomers where just the people living during those times the same as this generation is living these times. Neither are to blame for the problems although it feels good to be able to point the finger.

Lay the blame where it belongs........Government

Bad decisions then.......worse ones now.

IDK bro I agree government is a problem but I disagree with the people making policy lol I am no where near 40 years old how many people writing policy are younger then 40 as a random example? I do believe a lot if not most people making policy and legislation are over 40 and pander to the "voter" where as most voters are alot older then say 30

Lets not make this a political debate they always get derailed or is this the intention, I see lots of politics coming out in this thread. What about Temp agencies and less then liveable wage companies like wal mart being the answer to youth unemployment problems?
edit on 6-8-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

When I was a kid, my parents were able to provide a Catholic school education and a decent though modest home for us with one income.
They wanted us to be better educated than they were.
My dad never finished high school...and my mom got her diploma.....in their generation few went to college.
I know my dad went though a couple of rough spots as companies went out of business....but he ended up in the auto industry with a union.

Somewhere in the 70s...parents needed two incomes to do the same for their kids.
And it has gotten more expensive in each decade to raise kids, go to college and just live.
But at least into the 80s-early 90s...I think people got a job and planned to stay with it until they retired....pensions were still something people expected they could count on.

Housing, cars, education, food and utilities have all gotten ridiculously expensive. Medical care is almost out of reach cost wise.
Jobs in manufacturing left the country...companies want to keep their costs down and consumers dont' want to pay more.

Let's face it...the middle class is gasping it's last breaths.
It was intentional.
Matters not if you are 60 or 20......we're all in the same boat.

edit on Tue Aug 6 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman
Lets not make this a political debate they always get derailed or is this the intention, I see lots of politics coming out in this thread. What about Temp agencies and less then liveable wage companies like wal mart being the answer to youth unemployment problems?

What is a "liveable wage" though? When I see people sadly state that they cannot live on a 9/hr wage while maintaining a household of 2.3 children, I question that person's education and basic understanding. While there are cases where people have fallen by the way-side because their job is non-existent now due to changing market forces and trends -- the youth should be seeking areas that are viable and that serve their interest.

I wanted to be a computer information system engineer when I was going to school and soon realized that the market was going to be flooded. I sought other opportunities along a similar interests and now I enjoy a steady and quite secure job doing what I do because there is a demand and need for my skill set.

I struggled to get where I was at because I went down the path of having children without a solid plan but now I am good. It isn't that hard and requires determination and an ability to recognize that a shoemaker or salesman just isn't going to pay the bills.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join