It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drones to deter poachers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Drones are a controversial subject - but this is one appllication of the technology where I don't think anyone will argue against:

Unmanned aerial vehicles are being deployed to stem the killing of rhinos in Africa.

Snitch, who’s on the board of visitors of the College of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences at the University of Maryland, hopes to use predictive technology to deploy the drones. His team will use the same software that helps predict where terrorists might plant bombs. In Africa, they’ll use small, hand-launched Falcon UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) that weigh about 5.4kg and have a range of about 10km. Their mathematical modelling, as well as their eyes in the sky, should catch rhino poachers before they act, Snitch said.

The Star

Falcon UAV

Falcon UAV TM is a small unmanned aircraft designed to provide live aerial reconnaisance and airborne mapping capabilities to those who require a professional grade system at a great value. Capable of providing over an hour of endurance, the system provides public safety communites, research organizations, academia, and industry a professional hand launched UAV solution at an affordable price.

Falcon UAV

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Finally!

One GOOD suggestion for drones.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The cameras and other tech contained within these beasts is state of the art and will fetch rather a high price on the black market.

I foresee some Drones being shot down and then there internals being poached! LoL

edit on 6-8-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Good stuff saving the rhinos. At least this is a humane use of the technology.

Will they arm the platforms or just integrate them into the existing effort?

I say arm them with chain guns
just in case. You never know when you might need to save a rhino.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

The Falcons are small hand launched UAV's. They will probably act as spotters - most of the bigger game reserves such as Kruger have very heavily armed anti-poaching units - it is literally a war out there.
Unfortunately, the poachers have been using helicopters to do their poaching - there were recent high-profile arrests here in SA. The actual poachers on the ground are just the tip of the ice-berg.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY

Will they arm the platforms or just integrate them into the existing effort?

I say arm them with chain guns
just in case. You never know when you might need to save a rhino.

Just a follow up to my previous post - here is a press release where US Special forces members are actually helping train the anti-poaching units ... I wonder why they don't use RECCES (SA Special forces)

Four current and former members of the U.S. Special Ops (Navy SEALs and a Green Beret) have been recruited and brought in to help the security forces. Together, they will survey the situation, train the anti-poaching corps, exchange tactical information and go on the front lines to help defeat these ruthless criminals before the rhinos are brought to total extinction. These "soldiers of extinction" are led by Craig "Saw," team leader, Navy SEAL (fmr.), and includes Jeff "Biggs," sniper, Navy SEAL (fmr.); Rob, intel, Navy SEAL (ret.); and "Oz," medic, Green Beret.

link

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
today it's Rhino's, tomorrow it's J walkers.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
today it's Rhino's, tomorrow it's J walkers.

Hey I don't mind the fact that the Rhino's can benefit from the military technology that the Land of the Free produces to spy on it's own citizens.

Let's face it, a lot of our best innovations, technology and medical advances have resulted from human conflict.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

No doubt it is a serious problem and I am on the side of the rhinos.

Was unaware of the helicopter and such. The argument has always been it's just some poor local folks trying to feed their families. If they are using helicopters, that may not be the whole story then.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Now we are using drone helicopters as well:

What started out as a fun idea by businessman Anton Kieser to attach a digital camera to his remote-controlled helicopter has turned into a R3-million investment with brother Leon and father Kees. The equipment, which includes imported drones and thermal imaging cameras, will be tested at local game reserves.

link

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
Finally!

A good excuse for having them in a National Park.

Which is where a lot of people would go if a SHTF scenario ever happened.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by ObservingYou
Finally!

A good excuse for having them in a National Park.

Which is where a lot of people would go if a SHTF scenario ever happened.

I suppose - I guess the governments can never be trusted.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Actually, I would think about that one for a while - some game reserves would a be place to consider due to potential food sources, but I would hardly want to run blindly into Kruger where lions, rhinos, buffalo, crocodiles,hippo,snakes, leopard and cheetah are more likely to kill long before any drone could find me.

Some things are not a conspiracy. Sometimes there are just people who want to help creatures (and other people) who cannot help themselves and are on the verge of extinction.
edit on 11/8/2013 by deltaalphanovember because: add more critters

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The rhino poaching epidemic(for lack of better word) is escalating to near disaster proportions.
If a combined international solution is not found soon it may be to late to prevent extinction.

The use of drones are a definite positive, however more needs to be done to stop the root cause of the problem.
This is however a VERY difficult task since the belief that the horns have special properties are deeply ingrained in the eastern cultures.
edit on 14/08/2013 by Dmvr34 because: none

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Dmvr34

You are right....The government must utilize the military, they are currently doing nothing. Place these soldiers on border patrol.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by GUNSINWAR

Agreed. The border is open and largely unprotected, a more "aggresive" and pro-active approach is definitely needed.

new topics

top topics

join