It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans threaten to shut NBC and CNN out of debates over Hillary programming.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
So wait. Fox news and talk radio couldn't create their own shows? LOL Pathetic as usual. It appears there will be poor choices in 2016.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I can understand their general argument, and actually (surprisingly) agree that they should try to dissuade the networks from showing the program.

But where does this end? Can a party then attack businesses for any association with any politician ever likely to run for president?

What if a newspaper shows a photo of Hillary drinking at Starbucks, should the Republican party then be able to publicly attack that corporation for "endorsing" her? Can they attack the paper for printing a story about her?

There has to be a limit on this, and there has to be some common sense. The Republicans are once again just being some big nutty bully, hypocrites, over the top and embarrassing - just like they always are.

And before anyone says it, I also think the Democrats are two-faced hypocrites, it's just that the Republican party has a long tradition of BS.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

Well, you don't say? You figure I wasn't aware of that, I suppose. Well, thanks for the added info!

Now, do a google search with the term Fairness Doctrine and use their date limit tool to restrict the outer date to ..say... Jan 1 2008. Or, run it for Jan 1 2006 or '04. See what comes back, who was pushing what and just HOW HARD in some cases, and how the tone and bitter debates on that were fought then.

I do believe the point was...as usual, BOTH sides play the same games and to some degree in this case? Both sides even have some point to it. However, both sides get screwed so I call that fair enough without whining more about it, honestly.

If the GOP doesn't like Hillary's glorified life shown on TV? Make one about her darker side and play it. It's often the other side whining about fairness and crying openly about places like Fox News (While MSNBC churns propaganda from the other direction, night and day). It looks no better from the right than it does the left.

Which, in the end, really is the only point worth noting, in my humble opinion.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I can understand their general argument, and actually (surprisingly) agree that they should try to dissuade the networks from showing the program.

But where does this end? Can a party then attack businesses for any association with any politician ever likely to run for president?

What if a newspaper shows a photo of Hillary drinking at Starbucks, should the Republican party then be able to publicly attack that corporation for "endorsing" her? Can they attack the paper for printing a story about her?

There has to be a limit on this, and there has to be some common sense. The Republicans are once again just being some big nutty bully, hypocrites, over the top and embarrassing - just like they always are.

And before anyone says it, I also think the Democrats are two-faced hypocrites, it's just that the Republican party has a long tradition of BS.

Right, well there needs to be a line between just reporting the daily glam chasing verses a full expose showing them as a awesome person....well, if you plan on being a news media outlet anyhow.
But cable news has lost that title overall...they have a hour or so of news, and the rest is just commentary, opinions, agendas, etc. be it MSNBC's liberal push, FOX's conservative push, or CNN's sinking ship desperation push.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Trying to bully a major news outlet is bad PR. The way they went about it is all wrong and the media is gonna have a field day with this story.

They can attempt to have a field day as it's called, but other than Fox News the Liberal media outlets ratings are ion life support as it is, and the people who would be swayed by said field day won't be watching the GOP primary debates to begin with. I don't think they went about it wrong. The news outlets are trying to circumvent the law as it stands in regards to campaign finance reform and it needs to he stopped.

They should have protested the timing of the programs but, stopped short of making silly threats.

I don't think it's a silly threat, they probably are quite serious about denying them credentials to the RNC primary debates.
edit on 5-8-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
We the people should cut out all the corporate media and all corporate funding. We should find our own candidates rather than being told our choices, get candidates into the commons and live stream all debates. Of course that means actually putting effort into the next elections, not many want to do that, they'd rather just argue about the two morons fighting over the white house or a seat in congress.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The RNC/GOP is in disarray and are grasping at straws to be relevant in the upcoming elections.

The Right Wing conservative Christians are making a huge power play to take controlling interest of the GOP and they more than likely will succeed. They will stage an all out negative campaign and the DNC will continue with the Hope and Change mantra.

It's gonna be a fantastic show.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Of course that means actually putting effort into the next elections, not many want to do that, they'd rather just argue about the two morons fighting over the white house or a seat in congress.

Words of wisdom, if ever there were some.

Now how do we all get past the near indoctrination from birth in this nation that politics have only 2 sides and in the last decade or so especially? To be on one side is to hate the other without exception or room for debate about it?

..that's not even touching the 'I don't vote and you're a total idiot if you do!' mentality that keeps turn out rates in the 50% range at the best of times?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Just when I thought the GOP ran out of nails to put in their coffin...

Seriously, this is as hypocritical as their basic stance on drugs and gay marriage. "Government needs to stay out of stuff... UNLESS THAT STUFF IS SOMETHING WE DON'T LIKE!!!"

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The GOP needs to get with the times when it concerns media in all its forms. I would look at a Hillary-centric show as something I could have fun with.

You know, show a clip from the show, then show what really happened. It’s a comedy gold mine just waiting to be exploited.

Personally, I would believe the "Twilight" series to be more truthful than anything brought forward from the Clinton sychophants.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
OK, so the DNC will simply respond by cutting FOX NEWS out of debates.

Lol that wont really matter much. Face it Fox viewers will just not watch the DNC debates themselves, and wait for what Rush and Hannity tell them to think anyway. And then they will be here posting it.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It looks like the liberal group, "Media Matters" agrees with the Republicans and thinks the Hillary programs should be put on hold or canceled.

Media Matters Founder Sides With RNC Chairman, Calls On NBC, CNN to Cancel Clinton Specials

David Brock, founder of the liberal watchdog Media Matters for America, has sided with Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus in his call for CNN and NBC to cancel their planned special productions based on the life of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

As Fox News suggested, will airing a Clinton miniseries pressure NBC to provide equal time to other presidential candidates? [NBC Entertainment chairman Bob] Greenblatt attempted to pre-emptively take the wind out of this criticism by noting that the network hopes to air the miniseries before any formal declaration of a Clinton candidacy. According to Greenblatt, this broadcast schedule would avoid the equal time problem. But he’s arguing a technicality — clearly the network is already presuming Clinton will be in the race. Is the network prepared to respond to the equal time criticism and deal with the conflict of interest, even in the absence of evidence to support the conclusion?

The Blaze

Its good to see someone has the integrity to stand up for their principals even when it may help the other side in a political matter. I still think it was a mistake for the Republicans to come out swinging with a threat to take their debates away from the networks. They should have appealed to the networks sense of fairness and decency first and held back any threats for later. Issuing threats right off the bat makes them look petty and impatient.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join