It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cygan - the 1950s robot up for auction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I have always had a fondness, for the futuristic hope of the 1950's and I love the trashy science fiction B movies of the time. Given this, it was with some interest that I read on the BBC site this morning, that (funds permitting) I could own a piece of this futuristic optimism, where robots would follow our every command, keep the house clean and look after baby.

Anyway,without further ado meet Cygan

Cygan, a 1957 automaton, amazed audiences with his advanced technology and is part of an "Out of the Ordinary" sale scheduled for September.

SOURCE

According to the BBC, Cygan could walk forward, backwards, move his arms, turn his head and would respond to rudimentary voice commands. It operated on a 28 volt battery, had 137 valves, 13 electric motors and in total 137,000 parts. Overall it was controlled by shortwave radio and had a TV camera, so that the operator could see what the robot was doing.

While in reality, it is little more than a big remote control toy, it is a fascinating view of futurism in the 1950's.

Further information on the Out of the Ordinary Sale can be found HERE

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
That would be cool to have, also I want that wax figure of emperor hirohito, now that's a conversation piece!

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Robot, light me a ciggy and then defrost the icebox!

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Cool find !

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kkrattiger
Robot, light me a ciggy and then defrost the icebox!

And bring me a beer!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
BUMP !
And I shall also take a beer !

new topics

top topics

join