It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to grow a burger in the lab.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by dowot

TBH I was talking about parts of Africa and parts of the ME which are over producing... too many Muslims TBH.

But lets not turn this into one of those threads!

The point is: Lab Meat isn't going to reduce the Population unless of course like you say 'it has some kind of contraceptive pill in it.'
edit on 5-8-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

I have to agree, slightly and no, this is not a population knocking topic.

The population is going to grow, it always has and always will(?), so food production must increase, it is the wastage that needs to be reduced, as also the bi-products of traditional meat production.

The unfortunate aspect is that the bankers etc, may jump on this as a way to make money. Just adding to the problems.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by dowot
reply to post by markosity1973

I agree, but you would say that, coming from a farming background. Perhaps your livelihood is in danger?

There is one link, I posted, where the taste seems to have "Hit the spot" or been good.

Reading those reviews, I can see some adjustments of the reality to make this food more acceptable, do you agree?

No, that's not my point at all. With each of those frankenburger patties costing tens of thousands of dollars yet tasting very ordinary at best I am not worried in the slightest. The meat is nowhere near the same and the best they can come up with is mince quality. They are yet to attempt a good steak or roast, and they will fail miserably because the meat has no fat - which is why they fried it in butter, yet it still was dry in texture.

Fat gives flavor and texture to meat and it is not meat, just a layer upon it. So they have a ways to go yet to get that sorted and then they still won't be able to replicate different flavors due to diet.
edit on 6-8-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

Did you not read the opening post, I mentioned lack of fat=lack of flavour.." This is of course a prototype,and needs fat to have much taste, something not yet available from the lab." So, yes you are correct. Just give it time though.

I also thought that using a 3D printer, that it would be very possible, given that fat could be suitably created, that a puka meat could be created. (Yes, food can be "printed" by a 3D printer, it is used to create cakes and toppings.)

250,000 today is tomorrows 2.50! Given demand and quantity production.

The equation seems to be, that cattle use up more land than a crop of similar calorific value. See one of my links.

I have no idea where all this is going or even if it is going at all. I just see a way to make money for maybe little cost, and if I can, then big pharmaceutical/industrial can as well.

<< 1   >>

join