It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's 'Neil Armstrong' accused of being a Hoax? NASA/ISS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This is Canada's hero. We don't honestly want to believe ....this guy would be a fraud
www.youtube.com...

If you have heard of him: en.wikipedia.org...

William Shatner calls Hadfield in space: www.youtube.com...

Canada Day/July 1st: Chris Hadfield - David Bowie's "Space Oddity" live with Trent Severn,www.youtube.com...
(doesn't every boy in the world dream of singing this song--and mean it?)

Canada Day, July 1st: Chris Hadfield and Ed Robertson - ISS Live on Parliament Hill (Barenaked Ladies):
www.youtube.com...

the news: cnews.canoe.ca...

The son of former International Space Station (ISS) commander Chris Hadfield is refuting charges from a website that the retired astronaut had a ghostwriter help compose some of his space-based Twitter messages.

The Hoax monger:

www.thealbatross.ca...

Chris Hadfield had a ghostwriter for his space tweets: report
Ishmael N. Daro on August 4, 2013

Chris Hadfield tomatoes VIDEO: www.flickr.com...

Beloved astronaut Chris Hadfield, whose exploits aboard the International Space Station made him an international celebrity, had a formidable PR team behind his social media exploits, complete with ghostwriters for some of his tweets.

That’s what Blacklock’s Reporter, a subscription-only political paper in Ottawa, claims in its August issue.

Written by veteran political reporter Tom Korski, the article relies on internal documents from the Canadian Space Agency to show that Hadfield’s “seemingly spontaneous performances in space were the product of a three-year marketing campaign” that involved the CBC and government employees who occasionally pre-wrote some of his Twitter posts.

or is it: theevanhadfieldblog.wordpress.com...

This morning I read an article in a small, subscription-only news outlet.

It was an article clearly written with one purpose in mind: Create a controversy around Chris Hadfield’s time in space, and attach his success to a deep-seated distrust of government and social media.

Obviously, being so closely involved in Dad’s success in space (having helped him set up twitter, and working closely with him every day to help spread his message of science, achievement, and personal dedication to the world at large), I was quite inflamed when I read the article.

Once I calmed down a bit, however, I realized that the only way to really comment on it was to provide the facts. So, with no further ado, here is my response:

So, is this about Canadian budget? Sabotage? about NASA? or is it ....?
Do tell.

*more about Ed (if interested): www.youtube.com...
Big Bang Theory themesong: www.youtube.com...
edit on 4-8-2013 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2013 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

edit on Mon Aug 5 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: added EX TAGS, edited massive quotes

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It was surprising Chris decided to retire just as soon as his popularity was gaining. Granted he was one of the older commanders. There was a video where he shows his computer where he tweets from, regardless is it a big deal either way?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cass1dy09

Well space (anti-gravity) does quite a bit of injury on the human body, thus the retirement. He is no spring-chicken either. Retirement is not the point, truth in the 'advertisement' of the entire ordeal is. Is it money well spent?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
NASA, has always pushed the human touch between the astronaughts, and the public at large.....
It is safe to sat that EVERY NASA project is a space public relations scheme at the heart of it.....along with the science to further the goals of NASA.
Which as I have heard have always been military at the roots.in nature.
Does it shock me they used Hadfields charisma either willingly or no.....?
Not one bit.
Do I think they stage managed and ghost wrote, and even lied a little , or at least stretched things from time to time......You bet yer arse I do.....................

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I get regular tweets from Mars Rover. Do I think Mars Rover actually writes these? No, of course not.

Do I think Chris Hadfield was in space? Of course he was.

The Shatner interview was actually very interesting - I expected old Kirk to goof around in it but he asked some very insightful questions.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
To be frank, the astronauts' tight schedule on the ISS doesn't leave much room for spontaneous improvisations and performances. It's quite possible that various things Chris did for the public were organised, or at least coordinated, from the ground. The ISS missions and activities are planned ahead, by the hour. I see no problem with them including publicity "stunts" like performing a song or acrobatics in zero-g, in increase popularity and awareness of manned space exploration and science. It's all for a very good cause, so I don't concern myself with whether a particular tweet was directly from Chris, or whether his song was spontaneous and unplanned.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Well I still like the guy

So what if someone else typed a few of his tweets!

Really, was he ment to be on twitter whilst re-entering the Earth’s orbit

Himself and Nasa and did a very good job promoting astronauts

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dianashay
The son of former International Space Station (ISS) commander Chris Hadfield is refuting charges from a website that the retired astronaut had a ghostwriter help compose some of his space-based Twitter messages.

I'm sorry, I just have to say, who the heck cares? So NASA uses ghost writers to post tweets to get the public interested or asks astronauts to do specific activities in space to engage the public based on that astronaut's personal skill set, like singing... ok, so what? Based on the thread title I thought it was going to be another thread claiming ISS itself is a hoax, so I guess it's not as ignorant as I thought it was going to be, but it doesn't really matter to me. NASA does PR stuff all the time, I'm personally in favor of it. The general public doesn't understand or care about space enough IMHO. To me Hadfield did a great job engaging the public, regardless if NASA helped "orchestrate" it or not. I'm sure NASA tried to orchestrate the same thing with previous commanders, but not all were as successful as Hadfield was.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
He also took some of the coolest images of Earth from space.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I also think he did a great job...and had fun doing so. Good for him (and us). Kids loved it and now love science more than ever because of his daily videos and broadcasted experiments in space.

He / they were pretty busy guys I am sure and may have had scheduled tweets on hand for tightly sched. events, big deal. I am sure he had a personal (for family, close friends) twitter account also.

Thanks for replies btw.

*yes, Shatner can be quite serious. It just proves that not everyone from Montreal is a putz hehe.
edit on 5-8-2013 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I received an email from mods about my orig. post being a copy/paste from the news article of main subject.
I thought we were supposed to post the details and general idea of the intended conversation topic., apologies.

Supposedly I am to remove it somehow, which is impossible since I created the thread many hours ago. Confused.

Mods will have to fix or remove the thread as they see fit because I don't know how or what to remove. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
What is the point of this...

new topics

top topics

join