It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had 10K free and clear what would you do?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by flipflop

Cave living is harder than one might think. It can be very moist and cold.
Shopping is not one of the things I am fond of so for me the location to shopping is not necessary. One trip a month into town will suffice.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kingofmd

I love the shipping container idea. I have some plans in a file I might take another look at.
But why Idaho? Any specific reason? I currently live in Montana.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I would look into getting a minning claim in California, they are cheaper and when shtf you no longer have to worry about the legalities of owning a minning claim.

I saw one when I lived there for like 3000 bucks and it had it all clean water, plenty of hunting space around it, and of course fishing holes all up and down the creek. with an extra 7000 bucks you could buy a bunch of cool equipment(guns, ammo, water purification systems, extra food stores,

basicly anything you want survival with in a 7000 dollar budget.

The only thing im not sure of is what is the yearly tax or whatever that comes with a mining claim, but one shtf it doesn't really matter, right?

Your obviously in love with the south, but the West is rich in natural resources that a survivalist would fall nI love with once resources become hard to come by, not to mention it is right in the pathway that connects North and south America, So if you need to up and move regions,you have more options to go to and less time it will take to get there.

But what ever you do buy some knife honing and maintenance equipment, and some quality knives, axes, saws. I would look into a quality rifle with extra parts and shell reloading equipment and all necessary supply's that go with reloading your own ammo. A quality bow and maybe even a guide on how to build your own bows arrows. I would also get a quality HAM radio with rechargeable batteries that maybe use solar power.

Just my opinion anyway, im not a pro survivalist or anything.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

What a cute home. However I do have a teenager, so space is an issue.
But man o' man what a cute home.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Great idea but what about the legalities before the SHTF?

Already fully armed, and have rebuild skills for my weapons. I could use a bow, but I really like my slingshot too. It is quite and light weight and ammo is everywhere.

Will diff stock up on food supply.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I would probably try and double it somehow.I suggest buying as many AR-15 and AK-47/74 and sit back and wait for the next gun scare,then sell them.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomataprice

Before picking a location...please buy this book and read it. Yes, you can get bits of advice but this book will tell you everything power grids, nuclear plants, topography, political climate, literally everything, about every place and you will be able to make your own informed decision about where you want to be.

Strategic Relocation--North American Guide to Safe Places, 3rd Edition

Attention mods: It's not an affiliate link.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedomataprice
reply to post by Bachrk

What a cute home. However I do have a teenager, so space is an issue.

Uh oh...

10k and $800 a mo. won't take you very far in todays market.

I suggest buying a decent RV and living the gypsy lifestyle with no roots. Not really off the grid but I lived that way for years and it was the most happy, free, exciting time of my life.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Im not for sure how these would hold up in the colder climates, but what about trying an Adobe house? From the looks of it, they seem somewhat of a simple construction

en.wikipedia.org...

Adobe (/əˈdoʊbi/, UK /əˈdoʊb/;[1] Arabic: الطوب) is a natural building material made from sand, clay, water, and some kind of fibrous or organic material (sticks, straw, and/or manure), which the builders shape into bricks (using frames) and dry in the sun. Adobe buildings are similar to cob and mudbrick buildings. Adobe structures are extremely durable, and account for some of the oldest existing buildings in the world. Compared to wooden buildings, adobe buildings offer significant advantages due to their greater thermal mass, in hot climates, but they are known to be particularly susceptible to earthquake damage.[2]

edit on 5-8-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

The construction seems pretty simple. May take some time, but you're basically putting together bricks of mud and straw together.

www.ehow.com...

Make your adobe bricks. Mix the soil with water and straw to make a paste. Pour the adobe into the brick molds. The most common dimensions for bricks are 4x10x14 inches. Allow the bricks to dry for 10 days.

It's a type of building that has been used throughout history. Maybe also get a few small solar panels for powering small stuff, such as a fan for example.
edit on 5-8-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
One of your first considerations should be location. A SHTF house won't do you any good, if it's 100s of miles away. You may have everything you would need to survive, but if it takes hours to get there, you may find it already occupied or stripped. Imagine being 3 -4 hours away from your bunker, then add all the trouble of traveling during a SHTF scenario. It may triple your travel time and the danger level will be through the roof. If hubby won't move, you're gonna have to do the best you can with what you've got.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
First meant to say you are the second sexiest lady i have ever had the pleasure of talking to .second do what makes you happy. I didn't like being tied down to a spot. Soi chose a van. Id suggest a small rv or big van.
edit on 5-8-2013 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I would buy the things I need to rob the rich to allow me to give back the nessesities to the poor!

No better feeling on earth!

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

Down by the river?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by Another_Nut

Down by the river?

Ocean

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Great idea but what about the legalities before the SHTF?

After reading what everyone else has written so far, I think thats going to be your biggest problem.

If you take the advice of others and find a deserted "place in the woods" or a cave, you are GUARANTEED to one day find yourself discovered and at the wrong end of some bureaucratic park ranger or city / state / federal administrative paperwork department somewhere who will not only do what they can to have you evicted, but also remove custody of your child, if not also impose huge fines.

And personally, I think TSHTF scenario wont be soon and sudden. It will be a gradual ever decreasing series of events, like cancer, where everything just slowly gets worse over the years.

Whatever remote home you make, you're going to have to make sure that in the short term, at least, you follow all those stupid rules, taxes, regulations... etc...

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'm curious....are you and the hubby still together? I may have been confused by the OP. If still together, then I'd recommend getting a place at least close to where you are, but still as remote as you can go (otherwise, are you going to be separate for some time?). 10K isn't nearly as much as it sounds sometimes. May be higher priorities closer to home that could benefit from it, but you know best what works for you.

Land in another state may not mean much if you can't get there when the SHTF....

Can be tricky when one of a couple is a prepper, and the other isn't. I'm lucky enough to have had my wife see firsthand how valuable it can be (both through storms and through a long unemployment), so she's now a lot more onboard with the idea. (and doesn't see me as crazy).
She wasn't with me on it initially.... She felt it was a waste of time and money, until seeing some immediate benefit.

So, now a major criteria for any preps for me is "what can that prep do for us right now?" (not just if the SHTF).

Examples:

1) This fall we're putting in a garden. SHTF = Replenishable food source. IMMEDIATE = Save money on produce and groceries, fresher ingredients (and safer).

2) Water storage. SHTF = Water supply. IMMEDIATE = Backup water for small power outages due to storms, or problem with well pump (recently we had a water leak, so got immediate use from this)

3) Fuel storage. SHTF = Backup fuels. IMMEDIATE = Can stock some gas when it is cheaper, and save some money when gas is high.

4) Next spring, we plan on getting chickens. SHTF = Replenishable food source. IMMEDIATE = Free eggs!

Those are just some examples, but you can see how my preps must have a more immediate use too, to really make a good case for the investment.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Another_Nut
First meant to say you are the second sexiest lady i have ever had the pleasure of talking to .second do what makes you happy. I didn't like being tied down to a spot. Soi chose a van. Id suggest a small rv or big van.
edit on 5-8-2013 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

Not sure about the first part of your post.

I have no desire to live in an RV or van. I love projects and goals. I love doing what others(Mainly my brothers) say can't be done.
I am a free spirit and I do what makes me happy everyday. I traveled 90% of the US via travel trailer or tent in the past and I loved it.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

all of the suggestions have been fairly good. i don't recommend going to a state that has a larger population than your state has. the more people the less resources, and that would increase the probability of conflict. also the more remote and less populated areas will be the last place to be brought under martial law, that's if everybody doesn't run to there. also as some have stated that if you have to travel during a shtf scenario, the least populated areas would be best and in my mind you would stand a better chance to get there. and being in montana. which has a little over a million people you stand a real good chance, and according to the wiki.

Montana is ranked 4th in size, but 44th in population and the 48th in population density of the 50 United States.

Montana there's only a few state with smaller populations. and i think it would be unwise to leave there. you already know what the weather is like and all you would have to do is go to your new place and practice living in the cold and off the grid.

one more thing i can think of. get the largest piece of property you can, then when setting up don't place all your supplies in the area of your house. make a separate place for them that you can conceal fairly easy and have easy access to. that way if someone should setup in your home while your not there, or come and steel your stuff, you still have a chance to get to your supplies that are not at the house.

i looked at some prices for homes and land in montana, and all in all they are cheap compared to land and homes here in north west florida. hell even some of the big ranches are cheap for what they are. if i had money or thought i could find a job there, i'd go in a heartbeat.
here is the page i was looking at. LandWatch.com

only draw back i can see is the missile silos, but i don't think that they would take a first strike because, any one who would attack would be sure to know that ours would fly in the first few minutes of detection, and they probably wouldn't waste their only chance to do damage to other more populated or strategic areas.

i think your in a good place and that maybe you might have to forsake your family in the south and take care of you and husband,daughter.

edit on 5-8-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yes we are still together. Our love for each other is strong however our desires and beliefs in life are much different.

Like right now. We have 10 acres with plenty of room for a garden, chickens, a beef cow or two. But that would mess the grass up. We have a large home but the doors are never locked because he does not see the need. His thought is what if someone needs something and we are not home. More than once I have drawn a gun on someone in our home only to find out it is a long time "friend" that entered without our knowledge.
We have come home to things missing from our home and my husband assumes a friend or family member has borrowed the item.
He supports me in any adventure I want to do but does not feel the same as I do about the world around us.
Distance is not an issue because he or I can travel whenever we need.
I would love to have the same goals and beliefs but that is just not happening. Bless his heart, I had a supply of canned food and freeze dried beef and chicken in our storage room. He decided to deep clean while I was visiting family and he donated it to the food pantry. It was a great gesture to help those in need, but he gave away so much of my supplies.
We are good for each other on so many different ways but this is not one of them.

So I adventure without him and he can benefit from it later. LOL

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

reply to post by Gazrok

Yes we are still together. Our love for each other is strong however our desires and beliefs in life are much different.

Like right now. We have 10 acres with plenty of room for a garden, chickens, a beef cow or two. But that would mess the grass up. We have a large home but the doors are never locked because he does not see the need. His thought is what if someone needs something and we are not home. More than once I have drawn a gun on someone in our home only to find out it is a long time "friend" that entered without our knowledge.
We have come home to things missing from our home and my husband assumes a friend or family member has borrowed the item.
He supports me in any adventure I want to do but does not feel the same as I do about the world around us.
Distance is not an issue because he or I can travel whenever we need.
I would love to have the same goals and beliefs but that is just not happening. Bless his heart, I had a supply of canned food and freeze dried beef and chicken in our storage room. He decided to deep clean while I was visiting family and he donated it to the food pantry. It was a great gesture to help those in need, but he gave away so much of my supplies.
We are good for each other on so many different ways but this is not one of them.

So I adventure without him and he can benefit from it later. LOL

i can tell your from the south, you said "bless his heart". and all us southerners know that's the nice of of saying that someone did something dumb.
edit on 5-8-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join