It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Ohio Lawmakers Oppose Stand-Your-Ground Bill

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

These idiots are using race to keep their names at the front of their constituents minds...rather than you know, actually trying to help the community they represent.

East Cleveland is not to far from where I live and there are shootings there daily and it is a rare instance that the shooter is carrying legally. Hardly a week goes by without some vigil going on there and yet it continues.

This law is a waste of taxpayers time and money.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The problem I see with no stand your ground is the interpretation whether a person had a safe exit from a situation before self defense. How far must a person move. What constitutes no safe exit. How far can a person be chased or does the person have to be touched in a deadly manner in the chase to then use deadly force in self defense.

I know it sounds unclear but that is the point. It is the type of arguments lawyers make to juries. It may well be the reason the law has been created/ It's not to make it easier for someone to murder a person.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What the heck. They expect us to by law not defend ourselves but flee instead? So we can be shot in the back? If EVERYONE defended themselves a lot of crime would end. I will not back down when someone threatens me and I will meet that threat with whatever force is needed to defend myself.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Propaganda, and pandering for votes/business/notoriety.
Plain old Bullship, practiced by all the "interested parties".
If people spent more time trying to get along, and less time worrying about being attacked by all colours of fellons,crazies and robbers, the whole damn thing would probably go away.
Don't black people understand the law applies to them too?

edit on 4-8-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

PS I AWAIT THE INSTANCES OF THIS LAW BEING USED TO DEFEND PEOPLE FROM THE OUT OF CONTROL POLICE OVERREACH WHICH IS RAMPANT.

edit on 4-8-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

This really shows that Gun Control laws are useless, Period.

The ONLY thing they are controlling are the Law Abiding Citizens.

The Stand Your Ground Law is one Law that actually helps to protect those law abiding citizens.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

You have made a Very Good point.

A lawyer one time told me that the Law is like the Bible. It is so damn vague that it is Wide Open to interpretation.

So let me ask .. . If you are in your vehicle and you are approached by a man with a gun that has malicious indentations and there is no exit, Then What?

How about if an elderly man in a wheel chair is attacked by a band of thugs?

The point is that there are so many scenarios that justify these sorts of "Make My Day" laws.

That anyone, namely these "Black" legislators, would try to petition against such laws says that the Criminal Element is Not only on the streets armed with Guns, but also in the Legislature armed with Pens.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I AWAIT THE INSTANCES OF THIS LAW BEING USED TO DEFEND PEOPLE FROM THE OUT OF CONTROL POLICE OVERREACH WHICH IS RAMPANT

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

Although, I do foresee that someday, while someone sits in their living room watching TV and their door is broken down by the cops executing a search warrant on the wrong address, that they open fire and kill the whole lot of them, will get away with it.

When that happens, THEN we will see some action against these out of control police.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Then they oppose the highest most enduring law in this country.

The constitution the first, the only stand your ground law anyone needs, and it is raceless,classless, and sexless.

Guess some people want the state to coddle them from cradle to grave, and protect them from all the bad people so who protects you from the protectors eh?

Be your own masters not the servants to the body politic that is the EPITOME of what it means to be FREE.

Stop playing the victim psychosis only then will people realize MLK's dream.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
i have been 'put-on-the-spot' with street Africans 'As-kin for a pack of smokes or a DOLLA' from me...

i know that a confrontation will ensue if i don't fork over smokes or money'

they are just hoods shakin' down the honkeys in my view... and the black leaders saying that their rights to 'ASK' is being thwarted by the 'stand-your-ground' rule that allows the accosted citizen to make a forceful answer to the current "intimidation ploy' is UNFAIR to the street thugs.....

holy crap... political correctness is become a mutant-love-child abomination...

get all these jokers in jail as terrorists or a t least lawless-anarchists screwing up the mainly peacefull society...
THAT would be the rightious thing to do in accord with sanity and true political-correctness... hang-em-all high--- both the street thugs and the activist leadership spurring them on
edit on 4-8-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

so who protects you from the protectors eh?

No One, .. Cut and Dry.

It is painfully obvious that the citizens, the ones paying taxes, are being put to the end of the line.
At the same time, those who are in control of the game continue to frolic about like the cat that ate the bird.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

One word. .. . .. . KARMA

If there is such a thing, as some would have us believe, then maybe there is a chance that What Comes Around Goes Around.

Let us see how they britch and wine when one of their family members is murdered knowing that there Was a chance they could have defended themselves if such a law were in place.

However unfortunate for the victim, that would seem quite fitting.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
How is this O.K for "Black" Lawmakers to justify blocking a bill solely based on the "Race" Issue?

Perhaps because when a white person shoots a black person it's 281% more likely to be a ruled justifiable homicide under Stand Your Ground than a black person shooting a white person.

There's the case of Marissa Alexander, a black woman who fired a warning shot at her abusive ex-husband. She was sentenced to 20 years in prison, while Ralph Wald (a white man) shot and killed the man his wife was cheating on him with. He was acquitted.

This article, from Tampa Bay, offers some revealing facts on the inequality of rulings in similiar cases. Not just under Stand Your Ground but the expanded concept of self defense that Stand Your Ground offers.

In states that have enacted the law the homicide rate increased by 8%. It's just a bad and easily abused law. Even if you can get past the racial inequity (real or perceived).

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

As with anything, laws can be easily abused. However, when there is one bad apple in the barrel, it sets a poor example for the rest of those who would not abuse such a thing.

With that 8% were those homicides deemed as justifiable?

There was a case in my area several months ago.

A 17 year old girl broke into someone’s house. The homeowner watched as she loaded up her pockets and then shot her dead. No warning, he just shot her. That was deemed justifiable. I myself call that a Gross Abuse of the law.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

If you are in your vehicle and you are approached by a man with a gun that has malicious indentations and there is no exit, Then What?

Without castle doctrine and/or SYG, I suppose a person is to start up and drive away quickly hoping not to be shot. I don't think the odds favor the driver.

edit on 8/4/2013 by roadgravel because: tags

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

There's the case of Marissa Alexander, a black woman who fired a warning shot at her abusive ex-husband. She was sentenced to 20 years in prison,

Isn't she the person that left, got a hand gun, returned and fired toward the man. Since she had left then returned, that isn't seen as acting in self defense.

edit on 8/4/2013 by roadgravel because: removed duplicate words

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

That isn't seen as acting in self defense.

I agree with that. It seems more Premeditated than anything. Because she had time to think about it and returned with the intention.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

These idiots are using race to keep their names at the front of their constituents minds...rather than you know, actually trying to help the community they represent.

Yea and by playing on the fears that anything whites do with guns ultimately has their constituency in mind.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Then they oppose the highest most enduring law in this country.

The constitution the first, the only stand your ground law anyone needs, and it is raceless,classless, and sexless.

The law does suggest a granting of the right.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

Please allow me to start by saying that these Lawmakers are suggesting that we should fail this law based on race. After all, they are citing that the case mentioned herein was racially motivated and that they need to shoot down this law before it is passed. They are basically saying that IF the law passes that it will make it O.K. for Anyone to kill a "Black" person just by saying that they were protecting themselves.

Funny...YOU seem to be the one interjecting race?

I googled everywhere and can't find anything to support your claims of the lawmakers motivation or thinking?

As a matter of fact...here is the petition itself

To:
The Governor of OH
The OH State House

Keep "Stand Your Ground" Out of Ohio, Kill Ohio House Bill 203

Ohio already has reasonable self-defense laws, there is no need to side with extremists in enacting a dangerous "Stand Your Ground" law in our state. It is obvious that this misguided and unsafe law encourages recklessness with firearms.

We have an American Justice System. We shouldn't be taking the law in to our own hands by playing the part of judge, juror and executioner. We need to prevent innocent lives from being lost. The tragedy of Trayvon Martin in Florida should have never happened. If we don't speak out in Ohio, we risk allowing the same atrocities that played out in Sanford to happen in our Ohio communities.

We need commonsense laws, not more senseless violence.

Sincerely,
[Your name]

YOU seem to be the only one rambling about Blacks being a "criminal race" yada yada

The petition talks about "innocent lives"...no ethnicity specified.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Did you read the article ?

If it wasn't about race then they wouldn't be dropping names like Sharpton. In addition to that they are citing that the motivation comes from the Zimmerman/Martin Case. Go back a week or 2 and see what Sharpton was saying about how Zimmerman was "Racially Profiling" Martin. They are also the ones yelling the loudest about having the Fed pursue Zimmerman for Civil Rights Violations.

Now, tell me How "Race" Doesn't have a damn thing to do with this?

ETA:

By the way, I wasn't the one saying that Blacks were a Criminal Race. The article I posted was saying that.
edit on 5-8-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join