It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay couple ordered to ride in back of bus by New Mexico bus driver

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Hello

I don't really know what to say about this.

A gay couple flew to Albuquerque, New Mexico They then got on an airport shuttle and briefly held hands, when the driver saw it he said if you are gonna do that you have to ride at the back of the bus.

Aren't we over this yet? Why does anyone even care? Gay people are just people..

People need to get a life and worry about their own dam issues

www.rawstory.com...

The couple retrieved their bags and boarded an airport shuttle. Excited about the weekend ahead, the two men held each other’s hands for a moment. McCoy described the shuttle driver’s reaction to seeing the show of affection. saw him look at us, look down at his hands and he looked so angry,” he said. “He just blurted out at me, he goes, “’Okay, if you’re going to do that, you’re going to the back of the bus.’”

Surprised, but not wanting to cause trouble or make a scene, McCoy and Bowers complied, moving to the back of the bus. When the bus stopped at their destination, however, McCoy confronted the driver, asking him why he ordered them to move.

edit on 3-8-2013 by goou111 because: fixed mistakes

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Urgh.

I'm so tired of hearing gay people complain about other people not appreciating overt displays of affection in public. Sure, the bus driver is an idiot and he WAS being discriminatory.

I'm sure if they'd been a straight couple he'd not even bat an eyelash at it.

That's besides the point however. People need to stop acting like their sexual orientation matters in real life. That the opinions of those who disagree with you somehow matter to you in the every day mundane thing that is life.

Here's their greatest issue:

urprised, but not wanting to cause trouble or make a scene, McCoy and Bowers complied, moving to the back of the bus.

They ALLOWED themselves to be discriminated against, because they did not have the back bone to say "screw you, I'll sit where I damn well please".

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Another gay couple looking for a lawsuit? Trying to compare their struggles to Rosa Parks now? Oh color me surprised....... This isn't a segregation era, I doubt if they disobeyed the bus driver they would be forcibly removed by him, thrown in jail, or lynched by a bunch of straight people.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Should the result of refusal be what defines our level of outrage? Was Rosa Parks going to be beaten, jailed or thrown to the dogs?

Humiliation is Humiliation and I sure wouldn't tolerate it. This is another of those little things where it didn't need to BE me for me to have said something very sharp and loudly if I'd seen this myself. If more people would speak up when they witness such a thing? Those who feel free to do it, assuming no one else cares either way, would likely have a moment of pause in the future.

On the other hand, the point made here is also fair in saying the public displays of affection are for private settings and really, something the couples need to keep in mind too. ...and yes, I have outright said something in public to straight couples getting a little inappropriate with affection. They were both wrong here, IMO ...but only one inflicted outright humiliation on the other, in the end.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I suppose I'm much like other readers of ATS, in that I have the occasional encounter with complete morons and idiots, and from time to time encounter examples of really bad customer service.

BUT

Unlike those two, when it happens I dont rush off to the media and seek compensatory lawsuits.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
CLEARLY the bus driver knows the teachings of the Bible. If we don't show gay people how much God hates them for their CHOICE of being gay, then they will burn in the fiery pits of damnation for all eternity.

That bus driver was just showing love by hating them. If more people had this furious hatred like the holy Westboro Baptists, then God would bless America like he used to.

Only by showing the hatred of God - which is actually love - can we fix the economy, have jobs, stop crime, and end drug abuse.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Humiliation is Humiliation and I sure wouldn't tolerate it. This is another of those little things where it didn't need to BE me for me to have said something very sharp and loudly if I'd seen this myself. If more people would speak up when they witness such a thing? Those who feel free to do it, assuming no one else cares either way, would likely have a moment of pause in the future.

Yes, this is it entirely. Humiliation is humiliation and no one needs to be exposed to it throughout their day. There is a school going on here, and those who don't learn in this life may very well be finding what the opposite felt like.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
What is it with Americans and this weird thing about public displays of affection? I never knew you all had such ridiculous hang up's until recently. Are you REALLY all so sexually repressed that you feel "offended" by seeing two people holding hands? Really?

You know, you really shouldn't come to Europe. We have people *shock horror* holding hands and walking along the street!

I've seen people kiss in public too

I agree that they should have caused a fuss, and they should have argued. It is discrimination, obviously, and when gay people accept it and comply they are allowing it to continue.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cataka

Oh, holy Christ on a bicycle, we have our very own Westboro cult member on hand to preach to the members of ATS

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

A Standard Parking spokesperson told KRQE that the driver got “carried away” and acted inappropriately, but that he didn’t consider it discrimination.

If he didn't consider it 'discrimination' then why did the driver act that way begin with?
What other reason would he have to get "carried away and act inappropriately"?
Imbecile.....

*Deny Ignorance*

edit on 3-8-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I call BS. Everyone we're supposed to feel sorry for has to ride in the back of the bus? Gimme a break.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Hey, they should be happy, the back seat is awesome for making out.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Only one solution: Commandeer the bus.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
reply to post by Cataka

Oh, holy Christ on a bicycle, we have our very own Westboro cult member on hand to preach to the members of ATS

CLEARLY the bus driver knows the teachings of the Bible. If we don't show gay people how much God hates them for their CHOICE of being gay, then they will burn in the fiery pits of damnation for all eternity. That bus driver was just showing love by hating them. If more people had this furious hatred like the holy Westboro Baptists, then God would bless America like he used to. Only by showing the hatred of God - which is actually love - can we fix the economy, have jobs, stop crime, and end drug abuse. CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?

Nope, just a troll, feeding em is against the T&C

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm asking this solely to display my ignorance on the topic. I'm aware of Rosa Parks, but why is the back of the bus the bad place to be seated?

When I was in school, the cool kids grabbed the back of the bus first. The losers sat up front where everybody was right under the nose of the driver. Every little thing they did was caught by the driver and they were the ones to get yelled at. The driver wasn't going to stop the bus and walk to the back if he could possibly ignore what they were doing there. Further, if there were only two people in the back they'd put their feet up on the seat, facing each other. Even if not, the guy in the middle could stretch his legs down the aisle.

Besides the interpretation the couple may have put on it, it's a private company, everybody gets to the same place in the end, there were no injuries or added expense, or delays, so why does it matter where they were told to sit?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Americans and their uptight attitudes are really is sickening.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I'm so sick of this perpetual BS we're told that we need to except everybody for how they are. Sorry I hate to burst everyone's bubble but somethings in this country I just don't except. America can take they're love everyone be tolerant multiculturalism BS and shove it. In today's world I'm all about self preservation.
edit on 4-8-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Humiliation is Humiliation and I sure wouldn't tolerate it.

But they did, and then complied, instead of refusing right there and then.

And then they complain about it, while they allowed it to happen in the first place.
There's just more to this than a one sided issue.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Urgh.

I'm so tired of hearing gay people complain about other people not appreciating overt displays of affection in public. Sure, the bus driver is an idiot and he WAS being discriminatory.

I'm sure if they'd been a straight couple he'd not even bat an eyelash at it.

That's besides the point however.

How is it beside the point? By the way you're sounding you're more than happy to live in a society that classes holding someone's hand "offensive"

"Overt display of affection!?" Did you wake up yourself today!?

People need to stop acting like their sexual orientation matters in real life. That the opinions of those who disagree with you somehow matter to you in the every day mundane thing that is life.

Perhaps if people didnt keep bringing attention to how much they dislike it, sexual orientation wouldn't be a problem.

Here's their greatest issue:

urprised, but not wanting to cause trouble or make a scene, McCoy and Bowers complied, moving to the back of the bus.

They ALLOWED themselves to be discriminated against, because they did not have the back bone to say "screw you, I'll sit where I damn well please".

~Tenth

So there's an issue here because they didnt want to cause a scene? You're logic is flawed this time time, think you need some down time from ATS

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cataka
CLEARLY the bus driver knows the teachings of the Bible. If we don't show gay people how much God hates them for their CHOICE of being gay, then they will burn in the fiery pits of damnation for all eternity.

That bus driver was just showing love by hating them. If more people had this furious hatred like the holy Westboro Baptists, then God would bless America like he used to.

Only by showing the hatred of God - which is actually love - can we fix the economy, have jobs, stop crime, and end drug abuse.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?

And you got starred for this post?

Go hate people who wear more than two types of material as clothing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join