It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nicola Tesla. Stifled Hero.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+114 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The work of Nicola Tesla is often presented on ATS. The man is usually characterized as a stifled genius who's inventions would have set mankind free of the bonds of corporate and government greed and evil.

There is no doubt that he was a very talented man. While his grasp of more advanced science was often wacky (a firm believer in "ether"), his use of existing science did allow him to produce some ingenious inventions. It is true that our dependence upon electricity has much to do with his work.

But was Tesla really working for the good of all mankind? Maybe not. His writing seems to indicate something else. Here is a statement from the man himself:

The only method compatible with our notions of civilization and the race is to prevent the breeding of the unfit by sterilization and the deliberate guidance of the mating instinct, Several European countries and a number of states of the American Union sterilize the criminal and the insane. This is not sufficient.

www.pbs.org...
Those European countries he was taking about were those like Nazi Germany. Our hero was a eugenicist, in favor of selecting who should should be allowed to have children and who should not. For him "mankind" was a limited set of humans.

He didn't like fat people either, or those who dressed funny (in his opinion)

Tesla could be harsh at times, openly expressing disgust for overweight people, such as when he fired a secretary because of her weight.[187] He was quick to criticize clothing. On several occasions, Tesla directed a subordinate to go home and change her dress.[169]

en.wikipedia.org...-188

Do we really want to idolize a eugenicist? Was Tesla really working for the common man? Who knows what the true target of this inventive genius was?
edit on 8/3/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
interesting thread..

**bookmark**

Do we really want to idolize a eugenicist? Was Tesla really working for the common man? Who knows what the true target of this inventive genius was?

personally i am against the idolisation of anyone, least of all a mad scientist like tesla.. it's a curious question though, what was his vision? from his books and accounts of his life, it's difficult to tell, i wouldn't rule out world domination through his imagined "fundamental forces of acoustical resonance" though.. claims he made, like that he could invent a device that could split the earth in two, do not do him any favours..

i hope your op generates a lot of discussion, S+F
edit on 3-8-2013 by tachyonmind because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
people forget he lived in a time when it was the american thing to do they even handed out prizes for the best eugenics clinics /states and gave the idea to germany .

he was a bit eccentric but all smart people are

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

people forget he lived in a time when it was the american thing to do they even handed out prizes for the best eugenics clinics /states and gave the idea to germany .

You have some evidence that Nazi Germany got it's "idea" from the US? But what about his "arch rival", Thomas Edison?

Comedy, especially farcical exaggeration, became a powerful tool for antieugenics filmmakers in particular, beginning in 1904 with Thomas Edison's The Strenuous Life, or Anti-race Suicide, a four-minute film satirizing contemporary pushes for increased fertility among the white, educated upper classes.

books.google.com...

Earthquake machines. Death rays....from the mind of a eugenicist.
So which one was really working for the NWO?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree. There was another thread where people were expounding on Tesla over Edison (I think). On the face of it, it seems at odds with facts. Tesla had some pretty interesting ideas that never came to fruition. He was the "mad scientist" type from the early years of industrialized society. He is the darling for the "Lost Science" crowd. Ignore the fact that science has moved FAR beyond his ideas. He died in a hotel broke and crazy. This appeals to the underdog mentality.

Some peoples legacy grows after death and has more to do with current society than with facts or reality. It's more about the hopes and dreams of the "believer" than about the real man.

V

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The work of Nicola Tesla ...there is no doubt that he was a very talented man. While his grasp of more advanced science was often wacky (a firm believer in "ether"),

I see you don't understand this concept.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Reminds me of Idolizing an athlete..

You would admire their specific great actions that they are known for as an athlete, and not them as a person.

Like with Tesla...

He has the understanding of how to connect the dots and engineer technology that is out of others' comprehension. Lets just stick with that.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOd

The work of Nicola Tesla ...there is no doubt that he was a very talented man. While his grasp of more advanced science was often wacky (a firm believer in "ether"),

Why don't you explain it in your words then??

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOd

Actually, I do.
But it's not really the topic, is it?

What do you think about Tesla the eugenicist and the real motives behind his work? Was he working toward a perfect world where only those who were deemed "suitable" would be allowed to have children?

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So which one was really working for the NWO?

Neither I suspect. Rather, the NWO, with their gobs of cash chooses which ideas and heros to adorn with sainthood. Which ideas can be controlled hierarchically to insure the stability of their vaults.It may be they flipped a coin, heads it's Edison tails it's Tesla.
I don't think the powers that be care if the music which generates pop culture profits is hip hop, or country western. As long as it can be packaged, sold and controlled. Take that pattern and I think it holds true through out our economic history be it power generation, music or what have you. It all seems to get sucked up into the steam of corporate control

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

reply to post by TheOd

Actually, I do.
But it's not really the topic, is it?

Nope and nope. If you understood the material and spiritual concepts of ether (Odic force - hint hint) then you wouldn't claim it was wacky.

What do you think about Tesla the eugenicist and the real motives behind his work? Was he working toward a perfect world where only those who were deemed "suitable" would be allowed to have children?

Hell if I know. Or care.

+47 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOd

Hell if I know. Or care.

Thank you for your contribution to the discussion.

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
i dont think his opinions on eugenics should reflect badly on him. it was easier to talk freely about stuff like that in his day.
removing bad genes from the gene pool is not such a bad thing, just because the nazi party agreed i dont think that should make it a forbidden subject.

the nazi's created the motorway. everyones ok with that though.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Funny how this got brought up today;
Yesterday I read a report about a lightening strike that injured 12 US soldiers ABC News

The talk I was having at work was about a hypothetical "Secret War" that involves industrialists fighting over control of the world. Yes I know that's not happening (or if it is we don't have any evidence of it). It's just a fun thought exercise. Back to the topic;

Most inventors try and build their devices bases off of their success (Dyson uses air, Edison used light, and Tesla used electricity) Which is why the thought of a squad of US Soldiers getting injured by Lightening started the "Edison/Tesla War" discussion us.

Tesla was no great guy, but he did create some really great things. I think people like him due to his creations and due to the "Underdog Effect".

It's similar to Charles Lindberg, Why does everyone think he was great? Like Tesla he was a believer in eugenics, but he also strongly supported the Nazi Party, and if evidence is to be believe he was behind the kidnapping and killing of his own kid (yeah great guy).

+44 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Sorry Phage, this thread is a bit ridiculous.
There were numbers of great scientists from the past with various controversial attitudes.
I prefer to remember them on great work that they have achieved for the benefit of all mankind.

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

removing bad genes from the gene pool is not such a bad thing,

So you're a eugenicist too?
But who decides what the criteria are? The Nazis figured it was Jews. Tesla specifically mentions "the criminal and the insane". By many accounts Tesla was insane. Do you think he would have advocated his own sterilization? Probably not. Should Vincent Van Gogh been sterilized (though it turned out not to be necessary)?

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Interesting that this came up.
Some days ago another thread popped up stating that he didn't trust Jews.

It would seem that neither Edison or Tesla were nice people.
Both were flawed men of their time. But highly influential.

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

I prefer to remember them on great work that they have achieved for the benefit of all mankind.

The usefulness of Tesla's inventions is not being questioned.
It's the "all mankind" part that's the problem. Was he working for "all mankind", or just the "suitable" portion of it? Are you saying that the intent of the inventor is irrelevant? If the only criterion is whether the inventions are helpful you're going to have to include some rather unpleasant people.

Again, I do not deny that Tesla's work has helped make our world what it is (for better or worse). It is the tendency to place him on a glowing pedestal (get it? glowing pedestal? Tesla coil?...) that I take issue with. There is a strong indication that "all mankind" was not what he had in mind at all.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Excuse me while I but in here;

reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

The usefulness of Tesla's inventions is not being questioned.
It's the "all mankind" part that's the problem. Was he working for "all mankind", or just the "suitable" portion of it? Are you saying that the intent of the inventor is irrelevant? If the only criterion is whether the inventions are helpful you're going to have to include some rather unpleasant people.
An example of this would be most modern day pain relief pills

Again, I do not deny that Tesla's work has helped make our world what it is (for better or worse). It is the tendency to place him on a glowing pedestal (get it? glowing pedestal? Tesla coil?...) that I take issue with. There is a strong indication that "all mankind" was not what he had in mind at all.
At least with Edison we knew where he stood (money) with Tesla we didn't have a clue. Was it world domination, Population control, or was what some people were saying that he did the bidding of some cult? We may never know, but what we do know is that he made some weird cryptic statements about what he can do if given enough resources. Odd though that nobody has gone all out with the technology he created to take over the world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join