It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something I like about the surveillance state (please don't hate me)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Hey, I like your positive take on this a lot.

There are other positives too, other than uniting the ununiteable....new word, forgive please...

They will know when you did not commit the crime someone made it look like you did....huh???
How about that?

Now, whether they'll lie about that or not, is anyone's guess, but they'll still know who is being framed and who isn't.
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You mean... uh... are you saying...

if they mischaracterize someone
that person has a better chance
if their friends and family already
know what they were on about.

That it's better to be a known quantity,
than quiet and brooding.

If so,
I think so too.

Not only that,
I hope to God TPTB are listening to me,
cause I got chit to say! And they don't seem
to be listening to any other format that I have found.

Mike

edit on 1-8-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly. You're saying it's a good thing that people you are associating with on Facebook, a varied group of people, are carrying on civil communications because a culture of fear and uncertainty has been imposed?
I'll grant you that this kind of an atmosphere of apprehension can work well enough online, because it's digital and somewhat removed. But there is no way this would work in "meatspace."
Imagine attending an informal social gathering with the same kind of atmosphere, where no one dares speak their opinions for fear of being cast out.
We're human. We have opinions that are sometimes unpleasant to others. We argue. Part of the genius of the human condition is that we're capable of being REAL. We understand that arguments lead to emotional wounds, which given time and understanding, can heal.
But the idea that civil conversation arising out of anything other than true civility (as opposed to the kind that operates out of fear of repercussions) is desirable, I find unsavory.
I am on FB too...but I limit my association to those of my kind because I do not use it as a life-expansion tool.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jodash

I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly. You're saying it's a good thing that people you are associating with on Facebook, a varied group of people, are carrying on civil communications because a culture of fear and uncertainty has been imposed?
I'll grant you that this kind of an atmosphere of apprehension can work well enough online, because it's digital and somewhat removed. But there is no way this would work in "meatspace."
. [color=gold] Imagine attending an informal social gathering with the same kind of atmosphere, where no one dares speak their opinions for fear of being cast out.
We're human. We have opinions that are sometimes unpleasant to others. We argue. Part of the genius of the human condition is that we're capable of being REAL. We understand that arguments lead to emotional wounds, which given time and understanding, can heal.
But the idea that civil conversation arising out of anything other than true civility (as opposed to the kind that operates out of fear of repercussions) is desirable, I find unsavory.
I am on FB too...but I limit my association to those of my kind because I do not use it as a life-expansion tool.

Actually at the international parties I've thrown,
people do tend to factionalize.

The Japanese students all passed out under the table on Jagermeister,
The Indian students all wanted to talk about Rainfall and Mushrooms, and how Louisiana was just like home,
The bikers hid in a back room and went in and out of the front door a lot,
and the locals took over the kitchen and served drinks from the massive selection of booze,
and the teens tried to get someone to pour a shot into their can of coke.

But at 3:00 am
There were some of us from each group
that pulled up chairs on the back patio and had a real talk.

Mike

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikegrouchy

Originally posted by BobAthome

did u ever see the very first video of the Airforce guy,,using a mouse and keyboard,,,in combination,,,for the very,first,time. its out there,, still.

that was the beginning of the INTERNET.

was in a hanger,,,news crew,, whole shebang,,

Hell yes, I have.

But,
have you ever seen this?

An internet safe for corporations,
and designed for shopping,
may have been the plan
all along.

All of us conspiracy theorist,
on the other hand,
may be the Iso's.

Mike

Definition of QUORUM. 1: a select group . 2: the number (as a majority) of officers or members of a body that when duly assembled is legally competent to transact business.

Wow! They weren't even CRTs. They were flat panels. Guess there's a string or tow being pulled somewhere.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Honesty is often worth more than agreement... and even then when it is and ain't, it really is while it ain't what it was.

S&F dammit... like that. Where's the beer???

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilk22

Wow! They weren't even CRTs. They were flat panels. Guess there's a string or tow being pulled somewhere.

Yes,

Rear projection screens.

It's like a camera projector shot at an angled mirror that lands on a display screen,
making the screen itself thin.

Here is a sample of a 1965 portable version.

Mike

According to an online inflation converter that briefcase screen above converts...

What cost $25 in 1965 would cost $179.56 in 2012.

To about what a low end flat screen monitor costs these days.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Honesty is often worth more than agreement... and even then when it is and ain't, it really is while it ain't what it was.

S&F dammit... like that. [color=gold] Where's the beer???

Could I interest you in a cigar and glass of red?

And yes.
A safe place to be honest.
As opposed to always picking sides and throwing rotten food at each other.

I always liked this definition of intelligence.

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald,
"The Crack-Up",
Esquire Magazine (February 1936)

Mike
edit on 1-8-2013 by mikegrouchy because: damn you AUTOCORRECT!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

There is a think in my keylogger
that keeps correcting my words
to thinks I did not tape.

Gah

Mike

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

(Who else would have starred that???)

Something I like about this website (please don't hate me)

I have the stogie... but accept the wine while awaiting the beer... and those frauleins!

(Maybe a good porter with a room key?)
edit on 1-8-2013 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

(Who else would have starred that???)

Something I like about this website (please don't hate me)

I have the stogie... but accept the wine while awaiting the beer... and those frauleins!

(Maybe a good porter with a room key?)

I had to send out to Germany,
but here is your beer!

Mike

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Yes,

Rear projection screens.

It's like a camera projector shot at an angled mirror that lands on a display screen,
making the screen itself thin.

Here is a sample of a 1965 portable version.

Mike

According to an online inflation converter that briefcase screen above converts...

What cost $25 in 1965 would cost $179.56 in 2012.

To about what a low end flat screen monitor costs these days.

The original DLP LOL.

I like your thinking on this. The only problem I see with bringing the discussion into the light of FB and other "normal" places is the sock puppets involvement and what it would do to the conversation.

Just look how it's turned everything on it's head in the media and elsewhere. You have liberals supporting the surveillance and calling Snowden a traitor and conservatives appalled at the surveillance state and claiming Snowden to be a hero. This did in fact happen to me on FB when I posted something on this subject.

I also think the the timing of Snowden's arrival on the scene was just too convenient for the administration, considering all of the heat they were taking for various reasons. That stuff is not even back page news now. So his release served at least two purposes and probably more.

The parties sound fun. Next time I'll bring the wine. Nothing too controversial like a Pinot

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I like your thinking on this. The only problem I see with bringing the discussion into the light of FB and other "normal" places is the sock puppets involvement and what it would do to the conversation.

Just look how it's turned everything on it's head in the media and elsewhere. You have liberals supporting the surveillance and calling Snowden a traitor and conservatives appalled at the surveillance state and claiming Snowden to be a hero. This did in fact happen to me on FB when I posted something on this subject.

I also think the the timing of Snowden's arrival on the scene was just too convenient for the administration, considering all of the heat they were taking for various reasons. That stuff is not even back page news now. So his release served at least two purposes and probably more.

The parties sound fun. [color=gold] Next time I'll bring the wine. Nothing too controversial like a Pinot

Hell yes, and I'll provide the Monterey Jack!
Goes great with Pinot.

I tried to get people to hijack the Snowden thing,
but they wouldn't go for it.

Rule of Law has to be maintained,
and he broke trust,
by failing to admit that
it would make us hypocrites
to go after the Government for violation of Trust.

But the hero worship was too strong.

And now,
yes,
he's just another political football so people can root for their parties team.

Mike

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

He broke trust
the government already did that
the light was shed
the dark places exposed
Who will we ever trust again?

I suck at Haiku, but you get the point
My post to FB was to test the waters. After the first few responses from friends, I knew not to follow up with more.

I was thinking something more like this would be a good call. Oh maybe to overpowering for the pinot

edit on 1-8-2013 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2013 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Just compliment them on
calling you out
and
keeping you in check.

Besides,
I don't post my conspiracy opinions,
I just friended the ATS page,
and let their "better" threads stream on mine.

It's always the best stuff,
an usually some interesting science.

Mike

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

All I'm saying,

NOW is the moment
to sign up for facebook
link up with ATS so the headlines stream

and actually state you freaking opinion on things.

If your friends and family attack you, at least you gave
them something to do,

and if they don't
maybe they will start talking with you
once they have enough time to see where you are coming from.

Mike

Mike Grouchy, you are my hero of the day.

I couldn't agree more. I get nervous about how the data might be used someday, but getting a wide variety of people wrangled into a global conversation is exciting and good. I'm down.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I look at the NSA as the pet dog I keep in the yard.
Not a house dog, not a lap dog, but a yard dog.

I'm not going to deny they exist,
or deny what they are doing.

But I'm certainly not going to cower in their shadow like they own me or something.
I'm the citizen
they are the employee.

They work for me.
Even if they don't act like it.

With firm training
and reminders
they will learn their place.

Mike

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join