It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,122 Record Cold Temps in the U.S. in one week

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
For the last several years, here in SC, during the summer, especially July, we have highs in the high 90s and breaking 100 on several days, with heat indexes above 108 deg F.

This past summer has been the most mild that I've seen in years. Highs for July this year have been in the high 80's with only a few spikes into the low 90's. We've yet to break 100 here. Of course August can be pretty hot here too, so I guess we'll see.

I'm not complaining because accompanying this mild summer has been a LOT of rain. July normally starts our dry season, but instead we've had a lot more rain.

Playing with wunderground weather's records, I was looking at Columbia, SC, going back to 2009:

July Averages Temp and Rain 2009:

Max High: 100 F, Avg High: 92 F Precep: 4.08 in

July Averages Temp and Rain 2010:

Max High: 104 F, Avg High: 95 F Precep: 4.61 in

July Averages Temp and Rain 2011:

Max High: 103 F, Avg High: 96 F Precep: 2.43 in

July Averages Temp and Rain 2012:

Max High: 106 F, Avg High: 96 F Precep: 9.32 in

July Averages Temp and Rain 2013:

Max High: 95 F, Avg High: 89 F Precep: 11.56 in

So this year has been quite a bit milder for where I live (and I welcome it, especially all the rain).

But a lot of the "old timers" around here seem worried about this coming winter, claiming it's going to be harsh for us. I guess we'll see.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think the real problem here is Blue Shift Aging. I'm getting too damned old, and as a result I'm always either too hot or too cold, and if I get too comfortable I fall asleep!

The problem with trying to determine whether or not the overall climate of the Earth is warming or cooling is that the Earth has a very variable climate depending where you are, and in some places it will on average get hotter, and in some other places it will get cooler. AND even if you were determine a clear trend, then you have to decide if you're going to blame people for the problem, or sunspots, or aliens, or termite farts -- and whether or not we should do something about it to correct it, or if we even can without screwing things up even worse. That is a whole nuther kettle of fish.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Do you have a link to the jet stream maps?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
It hasn't rained for a month here in Vancouver which is setting a record tonight.

30+ days of lower 20's (celsius), literally perfect for human beings but not the plant life,
and certainly not for the potential of forest fires.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Link

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
My buddy James Lovelock has stated quite a while ago
that the weather extremes will be the first signs of the next ice age.

eventually the rubberband snaps and the cold is on its way,.
insulated underwear anyone?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Someone is just playing with the weather!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I kept thinking that residual leaves were falling from last autumn (in June lots of raking and sweeping was still happening) but my neighbors and I are seeing leaf fall and a change in the trees already. Actually turning colors. It basically stopped for the most part for July and late June but it appears they are on top of it this year in getting their shedding started early. In the past few years the trees haven't changed in time for the first snow fall which has caused snapping of branches and tree stress. I haven't paid too much attention to animal behavior mainly because I don't know what their normal behavior would look like (birds migrating, etc) but have noticed the 5:00 am singing has stopped. I can't remember if this happened this early in years past so maybe its normal but doesn't seem likely.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Edgar Cayce, the American sleeping prophet predicted the turn on the century would also bring with it the start of a pole reversal shift that would take a long time to complete, i think he said decades if i recall correctly.

He said, where to was hot, would end up cold, and where it was cold, would end up hot. The poles would melt and eventually reform in new locations.

Its looking like it this summer. There was another summer where im located in Illinois(hate this place by the way), about 4 years ago where there was only 3 days above 90 degrees which was absurd for these parts. Never had i witnessed a summer like that one and this one this year in my whole life

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
wow the weather changes... and is unpredictable.. i remember the days when the weather was predictable ... the weather men were always spot on and you could always count on the seasons.

edit on 1-8-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
This summer definitely went by hot and fast in the Northeast. June and July were extremely hot, now August comes, birds are already flying south and have been since mid-late July, and it's already cooling down in the beginning of august? i think we are definitely in for a colder, longer winter this year.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I am not sure where to begin with the messed up weather here in Western part of NYS. We had a stretch the beginning of July where we were at 100* but in the last 3 weeks we struggle to get out of the 70's. We have had nights as cold as 48 degrees here, which is NOT normal at all. Then there is the rain, non stop 5 inches in 1 hour rainfall that caused flooding unseen in my area in recorded history. We had sewer covers blowing 20 feet in the air from the pressure of the drains during one storm. The leaves are changing and falling here as well, and everything else has ran a month early for blooming. This winter is gonna be a hard one for sure. If I have time later I will post up some flood pictures from my area from last month. Small town north of Buffalo NY is where we are at....

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
100 yrs is not even the blink of an eye in climate terms is it?
The earth has had a weather climate now for billions of years hasn't it?
We know it has varied in temperature over that time massively from extreme highs where the poles were not frozen to almost the whole planet being submerged in ice don't we?
link
As you can see we are still coming out of the last ice age geologically speaking so surely we should expect temperature average across the entire planet on average to be increasing.
Even within a few hundred years of weather data we had the Maunder minimum did we not?
link

The main trouble with these arguments is that people cherry pick pick data to suit what they are arguing as indeed i have done above. The difference being i have linked to as complete a data set as i could find with a couple of clicks.

Also people tend to look at the weather they personally experience which is a tiny fraction of the global picture and as most people on ATS i would guess are from USA and Europe particularly the north then according to climate models we should personally expect to see lower temperatures for a while yet due to the shifts in weather patterns drawing the arctic air further south as it warms and gains more energy before the overall affect of globally temperatures rising starts to bring us warmer temperatures.
However we are only a small part of the planet and other parts of the planet are seeing temperatures increase.
As climate moves at it's own very slow pace, aided or not by human activity however briefly a blip we may be, what seems to us to be established weather patterns will always be changing sometimes slowly sometimes quickly with periods of relative stability between - most of human history is one of those quiet periods.

Can't find a decent link for this but i remember watching a programme where it was explained very well (yes i know)

But i did find this while looking for a decent link for the above link which includes
G22

An estimated 40 percent of estuarine and coastal waters is not "fishable or swimmable," primarily because of nutrients and bacteria from urban and agricultural runoff and municipal wastewater treatment discharges

G25on has maps of USA and expected rise in sea level marked across it
and loads of other interesting stuff.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
having a bout of unusually low temps goes along with what the climate scientists have said all along. the overall temperature of the earth has risen and will continue to rise. this will cause unusual fluctuations in weather around the world. the climate of the earth has always changed but human pollution has accelerated it to a speed we cannot adapt to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join