It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were going to run for local mayor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Assuming your are frustrated by the lack of obvious local governance or improvements in living conditions for your community and wanted to seek office specifically to address them.

What would you do and how would you do it.

I am looking for serious solutions and ideas like funding improvements in the flow of traffic and making improvements in education. Things that would make a community better.
edit on 30-7-2013 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports
Assuming your are frustrated by the lack of obvious local governance or improvements in living conditions for your community and wanted to seek office specifically to address them.

What would you do and how would you do it.

I am looking for serious solutions and ideas like funding improvements in the flow of traffic and making improvements in education. Things that would make a community better.
edit on 30-7-2013 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

Unfortunately that's not the way to win an election.
It's part talent show part jerry springer show.

Once you get elected you can put your ideas into action. But you gotta get elected first.
And that's the hard part.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
First it depends on how much control the People of a town have over their local Government. Many local Governments acquiesced their political rights and power a long time ago; which include education and other things. Is should also be noted that mayor's don't quite have a say in education unless it is a small town. Most larger towns/cities have Education Boards that are separate from the Executive department of a city.

All that pragmatic nonsense aside I would aim on being a mayor that fought for recognition of where the true political power lies; with the People. I would try to instill into the people of the town/city that they need to be active in their political lives if they want to the see the changes they so desire. If they do not, it is left to the politicians, bureaucrats, "city managers", etc, etc. (and we all know how that has been).

By encouraging the People to actively be engaged in their Government, a better Government can be created. Where conflicting ideas are not contested and points of derision, but of opportunity and growth. Where the betterment of the community is placed along side the betterment of the Individual.

A few things I have seen as "pitfalls" though:
1: Promising the moon. This isn't grade-school and we are not running for class "president". We cannot promise free-lunches, no classes and extended recess. What can be stated was that as the appointed leader of the community you strive to enhance the appeal of the city. There is only one way to do that and that is through political participation; which American's don't really have.

2: Lack of said above participation leads the political class in a town down a dark-path. One where they have no civil oversight from the real power base -- who have nearly given up all their will to be self-governing -- and become corrupt or stray from the path in which they are destined to be on.

3: Claim to represent this group or that group; or try to be the best friends of all groups. Enough! We are different, we will always be different. What a mayor can do is provide the widest access to the Peoples' government possible. White, black, brown, poor, rich, business owner, street-sweepers and trash collectors; do not give one group more access (or even perceived access) over another. Equal treatment under the law along with equal access.

4. Allocate monies wisely. Don't buy into "gang" units (participation in ones' Government helps clean up the streets because people are more involved). Don't go trying to re-invent the wheel. I think a lot of politicians are guilty of that.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I would do anything the form a strong network of people who would want to make their community perfect. Too many people just want to be elected and then are forgotten. We would need a leader who can be respectful, helpful, a sign that dreams can come true! YES!!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I did run for a local office and got elected. I also managed a bond campaign.

You have to get support...doesn't have to be much but you need a team and you need to rally around one or two central issues. This team can be one or two other people if that's what you have to work with and it can be someone designs your face book page and someone writes letters supporting you in the paper. It's the little things that matter.

If you mean how do you get elected? It's pretty easy. Make sure you're in the voter pamphlet with a good picture. Get a face book page and a website and a twitter feed. Right op-ed pieces or letters to your local newspaper. Get a small group to work with you and help you get elected. Speak to and at every local event and meeting that you can find. I mean every association, club, booster organization and everything. It helps if you have been previously involved in community or non profit groups. People get to know you.

If you mean how do you change things. You need to find a group of people with a common goal and get it going. Sometimes the end result isn't what you envisioned and sometimes the group of people you associate with you have a different but similar goal. You can't be the lone ranger. Even he had tonto.

I tried to rebuild something but ended up fixing it instead. Not a total win but a win none the less. That's how it is in community building and politics and just leadership in general. Sometimes the change you make takes a while. I waded into a couple of big issues and I came out swinging. I pissed a few people off and wasn't making any visible progress. I relaxed my stance and became less aggressive but wouldn't let anyone talk me out of my positions and kept moving forward. I was open to changes to my agenda such as instead of keeping every budget item I wanted I settled for keeping most. A few compromises like that. In the end I left an amazing amount of change in my wake.

You can do the same thing, but you need to know when to hit and when to block and when to step back. It's an art.
edit on 30-7-2013 by amazing because: (no reason given)

PM me if you want more in depth info. I'm not an expert but I do have some real experience.
edit on 30-7-2013 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by circuitsports

Here would be the basis of my campaign.

1) I disagree with the idea of any focus of power amongst the people. The people should be the whole of the power, and hold the whole of the power, with no one figurehead or concentration point for that executive control. Therefore, I stand not as a leader, or as a focus point, or even as the weilder of the big stick, but so that I might make way for a system of total citizen control over this jurisdiction, to be made possible by weekly votes gathered via the internet, and via paper ballot by courier, for those who have not a viable internect connection, or are incapable of interacting with same.

2) Failing that, everything looks better on fire, and so, in the event that there is no participation in a citizen controlled local governance, I will enact various local bylaws which insist that everything be on fire, constantly.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The reason I ask is because in a small hamlet of 1/4 million people - the guy who won last time got a mere 8400 votes beating second place who got only 4200 votes.

In speaking with random people it seems like all of them want someone working harder in there interests and would support anyone who appeared to do so.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

You cannot reasonably call a town of a quarter of a million people a hamlet man!

Good grief! But yeah, sounds like a bit of a bum deal for all concerned.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Make a plan and goals.

Research the process.

I think you would want to get your team sorted first as if you can't do that what chance of being elected.

Consider if you think you think its for you. Are you better qualified. If it's only ideas of improvement possibly try voicing them.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

It's a step by step process; all laid out here....

www.wikihow.com...

Have you done any research besides asking on ATS.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I have alot of ideas myself and would in the year leading up to the election speak with various groups like the teachers / fire/ police union and also the chamber of commerce and lions club among others to see what they think as well.

But really I want to talk to just normal people and get there take and use all of that to form an action plan.

Also I would take the modest pay check and put it back into the city like hiking access parking etc.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
First I shall do research into the community.

Afterwards, I would let the people hear what they want to hear, show the people what they want to be showed and promise what the people want to be promised.

Of course there is a certain in-group I must conform to. I must please my backers at all time. If I pleased everyone a bit nobody is going to vote for me.

Sure, when I'm in power I can do pretty much whatever I want at a certain point.

new topics

top topics

join