It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare panel approves free cancer screenings for heavy smokers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I smoked for a long time. Actually I still go back and forth every year or so.

I also live in a country where I pay for everybody's poor health choices. Don't get me wrong, I love me some free** healthcare (nothing is ever free) but I think I do have a problem with giving out more to those who are at higher risk of disease by their own doing.

Case in point.

Source

CHICAGO (Reuters) – After decades of debate, an influential U.S. panel has endorsed the use of low-dose CT scans to detect lung cancer in high-risk individuals, paving the way for insurance coverage of the test for as many as 10 million smokers and former smokers.

The draft guidelines issued on Monday by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force call for annual CT screening of current and former smokers aged 55 to 80 with a history of smoking the equivalent of a pack a day for 30 years, or two packs a day for 15 years. The recommendation applies to those who have quit smoking within the past 15 years.

Now it's not for EVERY heavy smoker, just those 55 to 80, which are the demographic most likely to still smoke as I understand it, also the demographic that require constant medical attention.

Obamacare confuses me, because it's just another handout to insurance companies, and it's even stranger to me they would further bloat the system with tests for high risk patients who in all honesty, should be testing themselves, at their own expense because of the choices they've made.

I'm a bit on the fence like I said. Everybody deserves access to medical care and medicine when they need it. Everybody has the right to real and proper medical advice. Where do we draw the line at what the government is responsible for making us do however?

But some doctors worry the rating might lead to overdiagnosis and overtreatment of cancers, in much the same way that widespread screening programs for breast and prostate cancers have done.

Funny, because I am more worried about over testing, not diagnosis, as that will lead to doctors and the insurance companies collecting some extra dollars at the expense of the tax payer it seems.

What are your thoughts ATS?

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The death list (err I mean priority) should weed out all of those on the 5 year to the urn plan.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jibajaba

I dunno bout the whole death panel thing, that's a bit silly. But the whole panel to decide what everybody gets as a standard, bare none, is a bit silly too if you ask me.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I bet this is all pushed by the big pharmaceutical industry. This is just another way to get their drugs pushed across the country from the responsible users to the street dealers. These drug dealers are so huge and profitable they actually have the ability to sway public opinion about their endeavors to 'helping the sick' when in reality it is 'create more addicted'.

Funny thing when a business outgrows capitalism. This is called a corporation. They then become the shadow government.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Obamacare panel approves free cancer screenings for heavy smokers

I get a different story.

I have smoked since I was 14. That was... ummm... (carry the 2...) well, almost 50 years ago.

Now my insurance is telling me that under Obamacare, I MUST submit to a health screening NOW and that I must submit to a smoker's screening every 90 days. If I refuse, my premiums will go up by almost 50%.

Now... I have been working on quitting for about three years now. One doesn't suck these things for this long and just walk away. besides that, the last time I quit I put on almost 45 pounds and after what New Zealand did to that guy... I don't want Obama to kick me out of my own country because I weigh too much!

I talked to my congressman and he told me it is my choice... but if I chose NOT to cooperate, I would not be alone.

I really don't give a flip about aloneness, lol... I just don't want to be a refugee in Cuba because I wouldn't kiss ass.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Seems to me like they are admitting smoking damages your health....yet you can't get damages from tobacco companies.

I too was a long time heavy smoker, now disabled by diseased lungs ........Good job we have the NHS here.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Wow, that's a certainly a different perspective.

Did your MD tell you there's a chance of being listed as 'pre-disposed' to certain illness so your premiums will go up regardless?

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
Now my insurance is telling me that under Obamacare, I MUST submit to a health screening NOW and that I must submit to a smoker's screening every 90 days.

So if the tar and nicotine doesn't get you, the 'low dose' radiation from the CT scan will. I'll see you in Havana.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Nice.

Free cancer "screening".

Now what's going to happen when the government gets to "help" in the decision process for treatment?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Nice.

Free cancer "screening".

Now what's going to happen when the government gets to "help" in the decision process for treatment?

More than likely, the "death panels' will kick in

IPAB

new topics

top topics

join