It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting BOB (Bug Out Bag) Item - Lockpick Tool (or Supply Run Tool Kit)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Gazrok

I own a lockpick and would add another thing to your list... a set of hex and star bits - including the ones that are not easy to find because they match up to the ones used on store displays, vending machines, etc.

It takes a bit of hunting to find such a set - but they are legally available and can be ordered from a few tool or supply companies online.

Definitely things that might come in handy in a situation where society is not functioning.

Just add a Pry Bar....instant access.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Picking locks with a normal set which is what I would get, is so easy! I could do a master lock in under a second while blindfolded since I was like 13

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Neat gadget. A person could get in trouble with something like this; though.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Starred and flagged. An important addition to the old BOB, and if you are passing well familiar with the rake and pick, a very lightweight addition too. Really great idea. I'd add in a few three or four inch strips of thin tin, 1/4" wide, about thick as an erasing shield, some dead credit cards, and two or three pieces of of good old coat hanger wire! I've used all to good effect, legally of course.
edit on 31-7-2013 by setibuddies because: spelling

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

a set of hex and star bits

Yep, they are in the cordless screwdriver/drill/bit part I mentioned.

I've got most types already, pretty much, but every now and then, I run into something I don't, and then look for it. Mostly with the different star bits. At Tractor Supply, I picked up a little bit case, it is shaped like a measuring tape roll, but instead, a strip that holds bits. Pretty handy little thing. Even has a belt clip.
edit on 31-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Almost any padlock can easily be defeated (broken) with a sturdy, thin crow bar and a pipe wrench. If going at a padlock you most likely have no need to relock. Even if you don't have a pipe wrench, a length of steel or cast iron pipe will allow you to get the leverage that you need. And leverage is the key. Makes a handy defense tool as well.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
my lock picking tools an 8 pound hammer a pair of Stanely fubars a good quality bolt cutter and some cans of computer anti dust air. get alot of old jmetal locks cold they become very brittle,

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Cool, and now lock them back up to secure your shelter or cover your tracks

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I worked in construction as a superintendent for a few years. We built 20-25 houses per superintendent on tight budgets. We had to keep prices low so I would re-key the exterior locks to match before installation. It is pretty simple and worth the initial investment if you move into a home with good quality locks that you want to keep. A kwikset bottom key kit (you re-use the top pins) is only 18 dollars. A high end universal kit can run as high as $250 but to re-purpose some high end exterior door sets might still be a money saver.

I started picking locks about 10 years ago for fun. I was working as a coordinator for field personnel and troubleshooting of high end oilfield equipment. I sat at a computer terminal with a phone for 14 hours a night with nothing to entertain myself except handling calls and waiting to handle them. I averaged about six hours a night with no calls so I bought a lock pick kit and a book. I got pretty good at it. I could even open the higher quality locks and padlocks but it took practice, focus and time.

Understanding lock picking is fun because it basically unmasks a little mechanical mystery and gives you a sense of satisfaction.

As far as a shtf situation goes, I don't think I'd be picking locks much unless I was in a quiet and isolated spot. I'd use other means.
It's very effective to get a bunch of old locks and various tools together. Then practice opening them.
It's easy to wreck the door but not as easy to open one and just damage the lock.

For instance, a standard entry lock can be opened with a 1/4 inch drill bit run into the left and right sides of the outside trim cover. (paper thin metal) This will cut the rivets on the ends of the screw posts and allow the whole assembly to be turned and opened.
It's much faster than drilling out the lock. It also saves the lock for re-keying and all that needs changed is the cover trim.

A little practice goes a long way.

It's even better if you are remodeling or have extra hours to practice at work.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join