It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two thirds of UK children 'do not know tuna is fish'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
A new survey conducted by pub restaurant brand Table Table has claimed that nearly two thirds of children in the United Kingdom do not know that tuna is a fish.

the poll found that 64% of the 1,000 respondents aged 7-11 stumbled when asked about what a tuna is.
Furthermore, 13% did not know beef is the flesh of a cow, while 5% said that tomato ketchup comes from the ground.
Melanie Sykes stated: "I was shocked to see the results from Table Table's study and the lack of understanding from children on some very basic foodie questions.
"Findings showed that most of a child's food knowledge is taken from their parents, so it's imperative that we educate our little ones on what we are eating.
"One of the best ways to do this is by sitting down and spending time together over meals as much as possible."
The survey was conducted to support Table Table's search to find five 'Family Tasting Teams' who will sample food, review new menus and win free meals for a year.

Suppose it could be worse, could be two thirds of adults lol

Still tho, 7 to 11 year olds, you would think they would know, my four year old niece knows that tuna is a fish.

Link

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It's the Chicken of the Sea! Duh...

2nd.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Try asking ANYONE where oil comes from ??

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Maybe they are vegetarian and have no interest in fish of any kind.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It's a dying out specie.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'd imagine a lot of kids would think Tuna is some kind of musical singing fish.

Ta - Dahhhh!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This is what happens when idiotic tv programming replaces decent parenting.

This is what happens when the slaves are milked for their every minute against the good of the community.

This is what happens when the educational system is replaced with a political indoctrination system.

We get poo for brains youth, and a few geniuses who rise above, to either become eccentric recluse, else further the system controllers agendas unwittingly.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Thanks ok. Most American teenagers don't know who the Vice President of the United States is.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Doesn't surprise me....I moved to London a year ago and I have never seen McDonald's empty...

''Here honey, have 10 pounds to eat at McDonald's since I'm too LAZY to actually COOK for you!''

Disgusting!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Why is there much of a need to bring it up? Most parents these days are concerned about the mercury and are too afraid to even feed to their kids in the first place. Fish in general, for that matter. The world is kind of messed up.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Tuna is a fish?!?

I'll be damned, you learn something new everyday!

(I'm joking guys.)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Kids dont know anything about food prep all they eat now a days is junk food,the future generations will be just like those Americans you see in McDonalds with a dozen cheese burgers stacked tray.
edit on 30-7-2013 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma

Thanks ok. Most American teenagers don't know who the Vice President of the United States is.

most teenagers pay little attention to anything outside their own lives...why?.....because at that age of development, that is what is most important to them. knowing who the vice-president is important to them only if they are taking a test in school on it, or if somehow they are personally involved with the vice-president

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Not so bad. In the U.S. we have college students signing petitions to allow abortion in the 4th trimester of pregnancy!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
40% of the UK's armed forces have the reading comprehension of a not-very-smart 10 yr old, so I wouldn't be too harsh on these kids.

join