It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery Chanels Naked and Afraid

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

I was just stressing the point that at least 1 of the crew had a Snickers bar and a lighter to start a fire!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Nah.. they put regular middle age dudes. It's not as good as survivor thoug. In this show they switch the two contestants every episode. They don't seem to be out long enough to really be surviving.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I've seen it and it's tolerable enough, mostly a what-the-heck-NOT-to-do entertainment, imho.

The naked aspect is a gimmick, pure and simple; basic swimwear would serve the same need to make shelter a priority against the elements, but alas would not add quite the prurient factor of nudity.

I'd imagine Evil Angel will be coming out with their version soon..

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
I watched 1 episode. The duo spent day 1 walking to water/stream. Day 2 was spent unsuccessfully trying to make fire to boil water to drink. Day 3 the male decided he couldn't wait for boiled water and drank from stream. Day 4 the male had a fever of 104 and was evac'd out of show.

I don't think I'll be watching any more episodes of "experts" on this show.

That was not a great episode. Give it another chance.
Pretty good show in that it's not all contrived like "survivor" or so I believe, you never know for sure.

Interesting also is that the women seem to keep their heads better than the men, and that the women do play a large part in the survival. Don't get me wrong, the men do their part, but they are certainly not any more of the key to survival than the women.

I personally could not have done the swamp setting....or the deep jungle, maybe the aftrican savannah, maybe. Except I would have made shoes first!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Is it allowed to kill and eat the other person you are with?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
I think the show is just an excuse to show naked people on t.v. lol. The one thing you are likely to be stranded with are the clothes you're wearing.

It may be a gimmick, but have you seen these people naked? Most are not model figures and they blur anything of interest.

I found it interesting for the learning of what does and does not work in an extreme survival situation. the nakedness certainly adds to that hardship.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

They must survive on their own for a full 21 days, with nothing but one personal item each and the knowledge that the only prize is their pride and sense of accomplishment.

Can my personal item be a lighter? If so, I'm good, hehe....

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

If my application is accepted I plan on taking a magnifying glass. All I would need to start a fire is direct sunlight(thus saving precious energy) and I can use it to heat water to the point of evaporation under a dome of leaves that will catch and facilitate condensation for purified water. Fire and water thus guaranteed. I just have to maintain the fire in rain and darkness, but I know many techniques of friction starting to use in a pinch.

Edit to add: The edges can also be ground down to form a blade thus giving me a cutting tool.
edit on 31-7-2013 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I thought the 1st episode was a video of the whole project

Watched a little of episode 2 lastnight and im done ..... a knife and a pan is just ... wow.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I just received the call back call. First interview down.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Cool!

Not sure if they follow the same protocol as TLC did, but typically first they did a web form interview, then a phone interview, etc. Good luck!
edit on 31-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Is it allowed to kill and eat the other person you are with?

very funny

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Basically yes, I had the application which I filled out the day before yesterday, Then they sent me a written interview yesterday, this morning I received a mini phone interview and this afternoon I received a full interview call. I am going to assume that a second full interview will be set and then something to do with physical abilities, but I will have to wait and see on that. I am actually beginning to get excited, lol.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

So if you get on, will you share it with us? We'd know who you are then. Very cool. The magnifying glass is a great idea. Also, I'd make clothes and shoes unless they don't allow that? Maybe you have to stay basically naked for the show.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

I will for sure keep you posted and tell you what I can, but I am sure there is a mute clause until air date so I couldn't give locations or details.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
reply to post by Gazrok

If my application is accepted I plan on taking a magnifying glass.

Be sure to keep in mind the weather may not always be in your favor. The only episode I have seen had the couple in a swampy area that rained for days and the area had pretty dense foliage. There is a possibility you may be put in a pretty tough area that lacks sufficient sunlight to start a fire with your magnifying glass.

Ill patiently await to hear how your interview fairs. It'd be awesome to hear of a fellow ATS member getting the opportunity to show these "experts" what the deal is. I'm sure you'll get plenty of useful tips from the ATS community if you are able to know your location a week or two before filming.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I'm under the impression they give you a choice of items to pick from to become personal items.
Even that impression may be inaccurate as there was that episode where the guy had a pair of swimming goggles, but he was absolutely terrified to get in the water.

If we had free range on what to take as personal item, it'd really depend on the location what I'd choose.
If you're stuck in a desert, making fire might be easy, where digging a water well might be more important than getting fire.

Personally, I'd prefer a BOOK. A book detailing all the edible and medicinal plants, with details on what they're good for with suggested preparation instructions would be excellent in any area where there's a variety of flora.

Wouldn't want to simply have a book of plants that are edible/medicinal without any clue for what they're good for. That could turn two people into two people going on an unanticipated spirit quest for half the time which might not work out so well.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The fact that you had that many interviews is promising. You may not even hear more from them until right up to the time. (we didn't, until like two weeks before our wedding....I was on TLC's "A Wedding Story")....

Good luck!

Piece of advice, even though a reality show, they will certainly have you repeat things they see and like, but may want from a different angle, etc., so be prepared that it will feel cheesy, but you may be climbing a tree like 6 times if they really want that on the show, hehe.....

Is there a set list of items to choose from?
edit on 1-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Other than choosing a Book of edible and medicinal plants as personal item, I'd suggest working on how to make an Atlatl Spear Thrower, and PRACTICE.

You could maybe fashion a low powered bow with some gut string later, but, with an atlatl, you can take down larger game.
If you search the threads here, I think there's even a thread on Atlatl hunting where a 7 year old boy successfully hunts a deer.

Research tool making, pit and snare hunting techniques.
It takes a long time, but braiding grasses into a net is also a worthwhile endeavor.

Most importantly, condition yourself. STOP WEARING SHOES.
Running around barefoot on 100 degree pavement will toughen your feet quick.
Additionally, running around barefoot in filthy dirty conditions will condition your immune system.

Go out and get sunburn on purpose. Heal and repeat.

Go out and get bitten by every itchy biting bug you can find. If you get bitten enough by bugs, your body's reaction to produce histamines which make you swell and itch will diminish such that you'll no longer get itchy with swollen bites.

edit on 1-8-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Go out and get sunburn on purpose. Heal and repeat.

Yeah! Damn the melanoma and full speed ahead!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join